9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Take a good look at real trees!

Many people see a tree as brown while most of the time there is a lot of green and grey in it.

I quite agree.  Some birches even look sort of like a bronze metallic up close.   A gnarled old tree like that would probably have lots of lichens and the bark could be sun-bleached.  On the other hand it could look wet and dark and green, or even nearly black.  Lots of possibilities!  Whatever works in your mind's eye and achieves the effect you are hoping for.

Picture1.jpg.5edf43ad20c629441c1afd62a4f95490.jpg

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Could do ghost pumpkins?

I like this idea!  I used to hang pumpkins in midair using black fishing net, made it look like they were hovering in the trees. 

Pumpkinsohmy.jpg.7c774370beabf00631ba282068ae7512.jpg

• Like 3

The tree is good, it will fill an empty space and gives a nice background that will stop the eye from wandering off the base. I actually question your block of wood more than the tree. Is that balsa? There is quite a chunk taken out of it, which may detract from the presentation. I would go with a much harder piece of wood.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Heisler said:

The tree is good, it will fill an empty space and gives a nice background that will stop the eye from wandering off the base. I actually question your block of wood more than the tree. Is that balsa? There is quite a chunk taken out of it, which may detract from the presentation. I would go with a much harder piece of wood.

It is, I'm filling and sanding the dents right now.

• Like 1

Definitely a yes to the tree. I like the pumpkins but I think I would go with the smaller pumpkins and only one large pumpkin. Leaf scatter on the ground would also look really nice with the elements you have going. This is going to look cool!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pochi said:

Definitely a yes to the tree. I like the pumpkins but I think I would go with the smaller pumpkins and only one large pumpkin. Leaf scatter on the ground would also look really nice with the elements you have going. This is going to look cool!

Any recommendations? I got some at Reapercon but it's maybe too green for this.

Probably should remove the owl from the tree while I'm at it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

Any recommendations? I got some at Reapercon but it's maybe too green for this.

Probably should remove the owl from the tree while I'm at it.

Well, I have some leaf punches and made some of my own leaf scatter. I know there are lots of online places to order from (which is what I usually resort to because selection in Oz is crummy!) I know some people use spices like oregano and there are birch seeds(?) that make good ground cover.

Why do you need to remove the owl?

10 hours ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

It is, I'm filling and sanding the dents right now.

I would definitely go with a harder wood, you can often find small pieces of hardwood at Home Depot and Lowes. The balsa is not going to hold up well in the long run. If you can find any hardwoods see if you can find a chunk of basswood. 

As for basing materials, take a look at herbal tea.

I use a lot for autumn colours..

• Like 4

A little bit of dried oregano is nice as well.  Has a greenish-grey color.

• Like 2