She is LOVELY, BEAUTIFULLY painted & based. I love your color choices.

While the spell effect might not be quite as dramatic as the illustration, it is still impressive & adds to the magical aura of the Sorceress WONDERFULLY.  VERY WELL DONE!

• Thanks 1

very nice...   I think your spell effect would look closer to your sample if you used a different background in the photo.  The current one is too close to the effect and thus limits the contrast between them making the effect less striking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She is lovely and the color scheme on the cloak really ties in well.  (Saw your question about it earlier.). A single color wouldn't have worked as well while solid black/red/purple would have been too much.  Nicely done!  ^_^

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed, photographing against a dark background really brings out the spell effect.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, robinh said:

very nice...   I think your spell effect would look closer to your sample if you used a different background in the photo.  The current one is too close to the effect and thus limits the contrast between them making the effect less striking.

Thank you!

That's why I included the last photo because the difference in background does change how she looks a little bit. It was way harder to paint that spell effect than I expected it to be. I first tried painting it like purple flames and hated how that looked. I actually tried that probably 3-4 times and then the best try out of that it looked like a moon coming out of clouds so I decided it was smoke instead of flames. (I still think it looks like a moon coming out of clouds but at least it looks better this time!)

Thanks, everyone! I do not remember even buying her but there she was, in my hoard of unpainted things and she was fun to paint (aside from that darn spell effect!)

• Like 2

She is beautiful!

Not that I have any great expertise, but maybe some reverse highlighting with your darker purple on the edges of the lighter smoke, away from white spot, would get closer to what you're looking for? 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

She is lovely and the color scheme on the cloak really ties in well.  (Saw your question about it earlier.). A single color wouldn't have worked as well while solid black/red/purple would have been too much.  Nicely done!  ^_^

Thank you! I am pretty happy with the cloaks. I think it kind of frames her with the black to red fade.

27 minutes ago, Coydt said:

Very striking!  One day I hope to be able to do this kind of work.

Thank you! Practice! (And check out people's work and ask questions and if you get a chance, take painting classes. If classes aren't an option, there are DVD sets that are great! I learn by watching how someone else does something so DVD's are great for me.)

25 minutes ago, Schirf said:

She is beautiful!

Not that I have any great expertise, but maybe some reverse highlighting with your darker purple on the edges of the lighter smoke, away from white spot, would get closer to what you're looking for? 

Thank you!

Yeah, I stopped before I messed it up again. ::P: I think by the point where it is now, I had repainted it so many times, 1)I was afraid of messing it up and having to repaint it AGAIN, 2) I was getting tired of it!

Actually, looking at it again since you said that, maybe if I added "shadow" to the back of the little wisps closest to the orb..... GAH!

1 hour ago, Pochi said:

Thank you! I am pretty happy with the cloaks. I think it kind of frames her with the black to red fade.

Thank you! Practice! (And check out people's work and ask questions and if you get a chance, take painting classes. If classes aren't an option, there are DVD sets that are great! I learn by watching how someone else does something so DVD's are great for me.)

Thank you!

Yeah, I stopped before I messed it up again. ::P: I think by the point where it is now, I had repainted it so many times, 1)I was afraid of messing it up and having to repaint it AGAIN, 2) I was getting tired of it!

Actually, looking at it again since you said that, maybe if I added "shadow" to the back of the little wisps closest to the orb..... GAH!

I know that feeling of always wanting to make it a little better! 

If it makes you feel better, it looks lovely as it is! 

• Thanks 1