LarsM

Invisible Hobbit

On 2/28/2018 at 5:55 PM, LarsM said:

Thank you for the very kind replies.

I cant take credit for the idea. I have a couple of warhammer 40k Tau XV25 stealth battlesuits in an upcomming project, and googling around I found pictures of them painted like this. So I wanted to try it.

I remember seeing a couple of those. They are very cool, but your hobbit does the whole idea credit. Nicely done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's amazing!

Very cool idea, and you did a great job pulling it off!:winkthumbs:

• Thanks 1

Absolutely jawdropping effect there.

As for the magic ring vs cape debacle...

A ring must effect everything the wearer is wearing or carrying, so must have a 'field of effect'. It would have affected his tunic and other clothes, too.

But the Cape is the only item showing camouflage effects, and only on the back.

Ergo, it must be the cape itself, or possibly the brooch or whatever is holding it together that is causing the effect.

(The brooch would be my guess. It's 'filming' and replaying what is in front of him onto the back of the cape. It's not an invisibility spell at all, just a 'projection' spell. I would guess that the cape was made by an apprentice, and sold off by an unscrupulous trader as the 'real stuff' at a 'slightly' inflated price... )

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

That illusion is crazy good! I really had to squint to see where the cloak ends against the wall. Do you have some kind of marker or inlay in the terrain to tell you where to place the figure?

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2018 at 8:26 PM, Fire_Eyes said:

That illusion is crazy good! I really had to squint to see where the cloak ends against the wall. Do you have some kind of marker or inlay in the terrain to tell you where to place the figure?

Sorry for a (very) late answer.

Yes, I made a quite nicely fitting shallow (is that the right word?) in the terrain to fit the original base of the mini, to be able to take the mini on and off while painting the effect, and checking from the right angle.

Oh I like that so much and I just watched return of the king a few days ago

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all,
      here are some more Shadowrun figures that I've been working on.  Two excellent figures, probably sculpted back in the nineties by Dave Summers, two Shadowrun Dwarven Mercenaries.  As usual, so hard to decide upon colors, but I think they worked out reasonably well.

The first one is a delicate dwarven lady:

and her stalwart male companion:

First time I've ever painted modern weaponry, so hoping they turned out okay.  With choosing colors, in an effort to make my life a little bit easier, I gave them the same color overcoat, just painted different color detailing on them. 

I find that a nice change of genre is pretty fun, I'm enjoying painting something a little less fantasy and more sci-fi for a while. I'll hope to have more of these coming soon!

Enjoy!

• By Ducknuck84
      EDIT: Added photo with a finished base
      Pretty much done, in actual sun light you can see some of the highlights on the skin, so I'm happy with that being it was my first time trying that, just going to have to practice some more, still considering she's missing half her face to the cast error she came out looking a lot better once paint was added. Also really like how the red hair triad worked out.
      What I learned
      1. Skin is tricky but not as intimidating as I thought it was.
      2. With work miscasts can end up looking good.
      3. Always outline the eyes, though I think I'm going to try a walnut brown next time for fair skin.
      4. Practice practice practice

C&C always welcome.

• By 72moonglum
      So switching a bit of genres, decided to work on some cyberpunk stuff, so started painting some Ral Partha Shadowrun figures.  These two are two Street Mages, both sculpted by Tom Meier, I'm guessing back in the eighties or early nineties (forgot to check the bottom for a date stamp). With them both, I still see some mold lines when I look, really need to make sure I get rid of those a bit better.

Kind of hard to decide on colors for these. When you look at the art that's running around on line for Shadow run, it's a combination of different shades of black or very bright colors, especially in hair, so hopefully the colors I chose made some sense.  Anyhoos, hope you enjoy!

• By Ducknuck84
      Belinda, Knight of the Light [03-085]
      Very old mini that I got when Ral Partha was still Ral Partha back in 95, kind of wish i kept the catalog from back then, unfortunately was a miscast so the face details were every shallow with no nose or lips as well as her dagger hilt not fully cast, game i had gotten her for fell through and never ended up using or painting her. So now i'm going use Belinda to practice painting. although probably making it hard on my self being the mini is probably 25-20mm rather then 28mm. 
      So far i tried out the Betty Davis eye technique which considering that this mini is so small was hard to hit only the eyes. 
      also tried out the orange hair paint triad.
      Flesh so far is just rosy flesh
      C&C always welcome.

• By 72moonglum
      Hi all,
      a figure I just finished yesterday (or so I thought).  This is the Ral Partha Town Constable, and I was kind of intrigued by him, as he isn't a very heroic or noble looking figure, he looks  a little bit lost, so I contacted Iron Wind and asked them if he was supposed to represent somebody and lo and behold, he is actually based on Tim Conway, and the figure at the time that was sold in his blister, a cowardly paladin, was based off of Don Knots. Who would have known?
      So I took these pictures yesterday quickly at lunch and posted them out where I usually do on Instagram, and as I looked at them, I noticed I had forgotten to paint something. So today's quiz is what did I forget to paint? To make it easier you can see it on the picture from behind.  Hopefully I don't get now 147 other things that I forgot to paint, but we'll see.

Anyhoos, enjoy and happy Independence day to all you gringos!
  • Who's Online   30 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)