Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know You, Mar 2018

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 1st of March:  Are you now, or have you ever been, involved in some form of Organized Play (Pathfinder Society, Adventure League and so forth)?  If so, how did you enjoy it?  Feel free to tell any funny stories of your experiences.

Mostly I enjoyed making memorable characters and playing up quirks rather than the plots and fragmented stories of pre-written adventures. you couldn't really get off the rail road,  but still fun to be had. 

I played Living Forgotten Realms a lot (4e) at weekly sessions. eventually I recruited enough good gamers out of it for home group.

I had about 4 characters, "Gramps" got to level 12 (started at near 6th) he promied every adventure was his last before retirement .  At the end of the 4e life cycle, DMs could write their own material and make legal adventures - I did two with DMs I trusted and they were excellent.  more fun than most of the prewritten stuff, so I went off this except at Cons. 

Played PFS with two characters - reached level 5 and 3. played  only at conventions - In general I found the players less annoying and the adventures more so.   My l5 Cleric quit carrying a weapon after 1 session, but got custom wand sheaths strapped at shied and waist.  My bird-headed gunslinger was all about hitting people, but mostly because I would make fingerguns and yell "BANG!" at the DM when ever I thought his roll would hit. As a low level gunslinger it wasn't very often. 

AL  - played a couple of sessions and Cons, way less than the previous 2.  The ravenloft season drove me away just as I started to get interested.  I joined a regular group instead.  

as for most memorable game - 

My geriatric human 4e warlord "Gramps"  once found a superb sword, right at the upper limit of what was possible to get (at that level), stuck in the ceiling over obvious traps.  He decided to "Conan" it out of the ceiling, hanging and pulling till it came out, then flip off the ceiling to safety.  but first he had all of more sensible friends tie a rope to him. He got the blade, but  his back went into a spasm and he landed face down in a trap.  As he was pulled out and healed from the brink of death he declared "Worth it"  He even swung it once or twice instead of just pointing with it.   His regular blade was called "A little to the left"  and it could give its attack bonus away to others. He could happily go whole adventures without caring to personally hit anyone. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Question the 1st of March:  Are you now, or have you ever been, involved in some form of Organized Play (Pathfinder Society, Adventure League and so forth)?  If so, how did you enjoy it?  Feel free to tell any funny stories of your experiences.

Tried a few (PFS, Adventurers League, Shadowrun, L5R) at local cons.  Don't really care for the narrow focus, structured RP opportunities, time limit, etc.  

• Like 2

I played in an X-Wing league for a season last year.  It was fun, but with everything else I had going on it became something else to fit in the schedule.  I'd like to do something like that again, but think it will have to wait until 1) life settles down into a predictable pattern and 2) I finish my degree later this year.  I'd like to start a regular game group that is open to several games (wargame, I don't RPG anymore). Lord knows I have the collection of rules do keep it interesting.

• Like 2

My experiences back in the day playing with/trying to join a game with people who might be categorized as strangers (that I could not at least call acquaintances) were uniformly awful. For that reason, I have always avoided organized play.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I have not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I was a member of a raiding alliance (and was one when I played WoW.  Does that count?

I have very rarely toyed with the idea of getting into Warmachine, with the aim of playing in some local tournaments, but my friend, who plays, says I don't really have the time for it.  And he's probably right.

I've been tempted by it, but there are far too many gorgeous minis, so picking a side would be.. Difficult. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I was in a Warhammer League ...a long while ago. 

I liked it. We had “resources”. After each game possession of resources would change.  To the victor the spoils, etc. 

Resources were things like:

Forges

Magic Pools

Wizard Towers

Toll Bridges

Troll Bridges

Shrines and Chapels ...etc. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

When I was into online gaming, I was in a friends group on City of Heroes/Villains (I miss that game) but my biggest group was probably the Fellowship I was in when I played Lord of the Rings Online. This was made up of people I knew in real life as well as online people. Fun nights (& days) of questing & just bsing our way in Middle Earth.

I've played Pathfinder Society a couple times & GMed it as well at RCon. I even ran a We Be Goblins game under PFS rules. I didn't mind it but overall I'd rather just run regular Pathfinder. I've yet to play a Adv Leg game.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I've played RPGA, back when that was a thing, PFS and.. I think, Shadowrun's version.

My experience has been /wildly/ all over the shop. There were good games (we broke Shadowrun one time when the GM handed Mr. Thorne the hacker.. at some point, we were doing something, when I - I had the Covert Ops/Black Ops character - said, 'hang on... does that mean he could hack our implants?' - and things for the other guys went downhill from there). GM was warned...

PFS ... has had it's good, and it's bad, and it generally hasn't been the modules. Players, though... my least favorite might have been the other wise nice lady with the mobile children (mebbe two or so) who were still on the teat, so to speak. I'm an artist. I see boob a lot and it doesn't bug me, but that ... that kind of made me twitch. Mostly, it was hella distracting, because, like I said, kids were /very/ mobile, and they weren't old enough to actually play.

*sigh* That sort of turned me off organized play.

Got in on a table at Paizocon one year, and had a really good time, so ... YMMV.

RPGA was ... actually the least weird of the lot.

I think I mentioned someplace I play WoW - used to raid with something like regularity. Don't anymore, though. Don't think Raidfinder counts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I had thought no, but yeah, actually. Sort of.

(I have twice been in dimly related organized other groups: Once the SCA, which I discovered that if the people running things locally have enough of an iron grip on all resources and ears and enough stolidity of conviction in their own interests being the only valid ones, then it is like the most tedious parts of Vampire the Masquerade without any of the fun bits; and once in a book discussion group which I found could take the joy out of reading even the most brilliant works.

I don’t think I Lawful all that well.)

I was a part of the legendary Gamers’ Club at my university (the one that produced, among others, Kenneth Hite). Really, it was mostly a club that met once a week to gossip and split up into gamer groups and which, until it was dissolved in the low-point  years of the ‘90s collectively owned the infamous Gamers’ Closet in the gothic revival student union on campus.

I recall my best friend, an elfin-petite young woman, not realizing that her creep of a GM boyfriend was ridiculously showcasing her superhero character until they broke up and her character promptly got eviscerated and knocked out of the adventure. For a while after that one of her catchphrases was “Men, blech, phooey.”

(That same fella was the charmer who said “Nobody asked you” to my face when I approached him to say I was having difficulty coming up with a character concept for his game.)

Fortunately most of the players were accepting or even friendly. And of course, the Gamers’ Club is where I met PingosHusband.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Kinda? I've played in assorted scenarios that were ultimately reported, but never steadily. The closest to a steady participation I've been in was we did play nearly a full season of Shadowrun Missions once. Can't say as I really had any particularly memorable stories though. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

No.  The closest I've come is reading some of the material.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

No Organized Play for me. I prefer FREEDOM FROM ROOOOOOOOOOLZ!!!!!!! *runs off and goes down a slip-n-slide*

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:
16 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

No Organized Play for me. I prefer FREEDOM FROM ROOOOOOOOOOLZ!!!!!!! *runs off and goes down a slip-n-slide*

Aren't those illegal? Come to my house and we can play lawn darts instead.

No organised play for me. When I lived in the city and had the chance for it I was in full drinking and girl chasing mode. Sucked at the girl chasing part but did well at the drinkin. Only ever played games with a few close friends and a couple of tournaments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3