Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know You, Mar 2018

On 3/15/2018 at 5:22 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 15th of March:  I am currently writing an RPG adventure with some "old-school" flare, and would be curious to ask the forum about their favourite old-school fantasy tropes/cliches are (i.e. characters, monsters, quests, monsters, etc...).

You mentioned the number 3 ...make sure there are always threes. Three clues, three trolls, Three Hearts and Three Lions, three BBGs, Three Doors.

~~~~~~~

Taverns and inns with pictorial signage that makes some kind of a subtle pun.  

You could have two rival taverns The Three Hearts -or- The Three Lions in a town on opposite sides of a square. A minor conflict that could embroil or distract the PCs. The situation is called Three Hearts and Three Lions Which is also a book title listed as source material in the Old DMG. 

~~~~~~~

Sky Galleons, Dragonships, Flying Frigates = spelljammers by other names. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 16th-18th of March:  Have you ever scratch built/modified something for the hobby? (tools, equipment, figures, terrain ect.)  If so, tell us about the piece you are/were most proud of.

So far .. not so much. Although there is that 'I took bits of several miniatures and chopped hell out of them to make one' that I am ... well, technically, still working on, because Things Went Wrong.

Don't think I have a picture of him handy, though.

Other than that, I've modified several breastplates to no longer be boob-cups, turned a whole sword into a hot pepper, and built a couple of tower shields for characters that needed them.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 16th-18th of March:  Have you ever scratch built/modified something for the hobby? (tools, equipment, figures, terrain ect.)  If so, tell us about the piece you are/were most proud of.

I'd say that it was sculpting flames on the skeletal hand contraption of Thora, Necromancer. Never even touched Green Stuff before, but I think I did a great job with it. ::):

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Yes, frequently. Here's three of my favorites, ork deff dumpster, and football trolls. The dumpster is a bones dumpster with a bunch of ork bits and  some scratch built pieces. The trolls are a mix of bones, dreadball, 40k and a bunch of putty. 

20180316_150751.png

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Nope, never.::P:

This guy is the biggest thing I've done (so far...) so I guess it would be him. I used parts from 2 or 3 different Bones figures, some stuff from the bits box, and a lot of Green Stuff.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71548-colossal-skeleton-conversion-for-reapercon-2016-bronze-medal/&tab=comments#comment-1461808

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Um...lol - I'll just consider that a rhetorical question... ::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 3/14/2018 at 6:45 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 14th of March:  Do you have any old school minis in your painting queue? (I’m arbitrarily defining old school as being released more than 20 years ago)  If so, what is/are it/they?

Behind on this thread...oh deities, yes.  In terms of immediately in the queue, I have a bunch of ancient Minifigs Mythical Earth Figures primed and on sticks; a dozen Rohirrim cavalry, two dozen orcs and goblins of various sizes, and a dozen Saxon spearmen standing in as Lakefolk this week.  Ral Partha, Heritage, Minifigs, and more beyond that...

• Like 4

On 3/14/2018 at 6:45 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 14th of March:  Do you have any old school minis in your painting queue? (I’m arbitrarily defining old school as being released more than 20 years ago)  If so, what is/are it/they?

Yes.  Probably about a thousand between my recovered lead boxes and the crates of minis that are still in the blister.  Highlights include a complete run of Ral Partha Limited Edition boxes and a complete set of Julie Guthrie Personalities by Grenadier.

The Egg

• Like 6

On 3/16/2018 at 4:08 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Yes, most frequently bases of various sorts. Also, changing weapons, adding hats, that sort of thing. I've posted it before, but the one I'm most pleased with is a bird man I did using a GW mini, reaper wings, a random arm, and plenty of green stuff.

IMG_1587.thumb.JPG.bf012fca5f3c39988c79cc018e0f4fb7.JPG

IMG_1588.thumb.JPG.e7514ffaeabea8aa68843a6ee8de87cd.JPG

Sculpted in the face, the feathers on the back, and the feet.

• Like 11

On 3/16/2018 at 4:08 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I've fallen behind on this this month but I have an answer today! 

I'm currently in the process of modding the bones hydra to have wings to be a mini version of Ma'al. So far it's going well and there's only been one injury. I'm pretty happy with it as it is right now but we'll see how that goes as I continue.

• Like 6

On 3/16/2018 at 7:08 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Nothing on my end - not really an aspect of the hobby I'm big into.

The closest I've come is a board game insert made out of foamcore.  Other than that, I've made papercraft terrain - but seeing as I didn't design it, I don't think it counts for this question!

• Like 3

On 3/16/2018 at 6:08 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I built a boat.

Not quite from scratch. It was a hull and railings when I got it. But the masts and the rigging and sails, the spars and yards and bowsprit, the chains and the anchors, and especially the paint job, those are mine.

post-8022-0-32622000-1400256680.jpgpost-8022-0-89718800-1400256855.jpgpost-8022-0-66373200-1400276071.jpgpost-8022-0-50155800-1400276027.jpgpost-8022-0-15861000-1400858364.jpgpost-8022-0-96784100-1400858637.jpgpost-8022-0-81960600-1400858737.jpg

• Like 15

On 3/16/2018 at 5:08 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 16th-18th of March:  Have you ever scratch built/modified something for the hobby? (tools, equipment, figures, terrain ect.)  If so, tell us about the piece you are/were most proud of.

I (printed and painted a pile of 3D terrain for Kingdom Death bard game, 

and dismembered a 6 legged dragon. 

Small Black.jpg

small black2.jpg

terrain3.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 14