Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know You, Mar 2018

12 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 19th of March: Can you swim?  If so, when did you learn?   Any funny stories involving swimming?

Yes.  My father was in the NAVY and we were around a small amount of water all the time (y'know, a couple Oceans).  We learned to swim early.  I think around 5 for me, about the same age for my brother.  I am a heck of an endurance swimmer, and I do not panic.  My brother is a faster swimmer, but has less endurance than I do. 

When I was in Minnesota, we had a swim class.  The point of the class one day was to endure swimming as long as we could.  Myself and one other student made it to the end of the hour by alternating between active swimming, as required, and restive swimming (floating on our backs).  The rest of the class went entirely for active swimming and burnt out about halfway.  By the end of the class they were sitting with their jaws on the floor that myself and the other kid, who were not the most fit kids, beat every single more fit kid in the endurance category twofold.  It was so nice that not one of the very large football players (and this was a 6A school) said a word, they were actually kind to us the rest of that year.  It was such an odd thing to been through.  Then again, that part of Minnesota was truly the best place ever. 

Little Story off topic for the day:

When I went to that school (Park High School in Cottage Grove, if you must know), I went for one year, 10th grade year.  I was in Chemistry, with three teachers and a bunch of kids older than me.  I also weightlifted, but not competitively.  The coaches actually approached me and said that the other kids were happy to have me there trying, even though I was not at their level, because the effort was being made and it showed determination and made them want to do better.  The whole school was just beyond kind.  There wasn't bullying or anything that I had experienced elsewhere, except ONE event.  And ONE friend who felt it.  I opened doors because I wanted to try.  I wasn't the best, but I made friends because I tried.  The teachers cared and actually pushed you to your potential.  Then we were torn from that place, because of my father losing his job.  Ended up back in Nessus.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 19th of March: Can you swim?  If so, when did you learn?   Any funny stories involving swimming?

Not really and admittedly, it's one of the regrets I have (that I didn't learn to swim when I was younger).  For reference, I don't consider someone as knowing how to swim unless they know how to tread water.

It's why I made sure that my sons learned how to swim (and how to tread water).  Both of them are currently better swimmers than me - and neither of them is even a teenager yet!

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I can, although not super-well. I learned as a kid, probably in the range of age 7-8, although the memory is fuzzy.

At one point, I was even a trained SCUBA diver, although I haven't gone diving on over 20 years, and wouldn't try again without a full retraining at this point.

I can't think of any particularly funny stories.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I was a kid when I learned. One of those things where I learned so early I can't remember not knowing how to do the thing.

There was this one time in Girl Scouts when we were snorkeling off the coast of Catalina Island. Cold water, really rocky beach, tide coming in, the waves were way too rough for us. I got slammed into a boulder the size of a VW Bug. Blood kind of dissolves into the ocean when you get injured. I scrubbed the rock bits out of my skin while in the ocean. Ah the sting...

I mention it because there was a single barnacle on that rock. It somehow bit me. I had a perfect round scar with the perfect little bite in the middle of it. I liked that scar. I had it for 15 years until I ended up removing that patch of skin due to road rash.

Not really funny but I miss that scar.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 20th of March: Can you ride a bike?  If so, when did you learn?   Any funny stories involving bicycles?

Yes I can.

When I was around 4  or 5  I guess.

We Dutch have a lot of bikes...

Funny story?

One time when I was around 15 my bike got stolen.

My mother found it a few streets from us and took it back.

We went on vacation and the bike came with us.

During this vacation I met a nice girl.

So she sat behind me on this bike.

We went downhill and then I noticed the thief had also sawn my steering column in half, it was 95% cut and broke off when we were descending.

She noticed me getting a bit nervous and asked what was wrong, I showed her the handlebar that had come loose.

It ended reasonable well without much injuries..

Needless to say the romance didn't last long.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 20th of March: Can you ride a bike?  If so, when did you learn?   Any funny stories involving bicycles?

Yes.

When I was a kid.

Not necessarily funny, but considering the number of things that I have hit/been hit by and all the stupid things I did on a bike, it' surprising that I'm in as good a shape as I am now.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I learned when I was about 7. 

I don't know about funny, but there was the time in second grade where we were supposed to read our Christmas lists and I got laughed at for asking for a bike with training wheels. And the teacher told me I should know how already. I didn't like her.

• Like 5

Yes, I have a picture of me on a trike when I was about 3.  I don't know about funny, but I got to know my wife because she was the coach of the bike team for Corporate Challenge (a Olympics style event for local businesses.)  We won and started dating.  Next year we were Co-coaches.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I learned as a child, and a bicycle was my main mode of transport until my I was 15.  I had a friend who was a year older, so out bikes became stationary when he turned 16 and obtained his license.

Funny story - we lived in a valley, and frequently needed to ride up an down hills.  Being the eighties, I had longer hair.  When speeding down hill, the wind in my face would push the hair in my face up and back, but my hair never wanted to return to its previous position when we reached the bottom.  

• Like 5

Probably around the time i could walk..   joking aside, growing up in the country, if you wanted to go anywhere, a bike was how you got there, including riding the 5 miles to town

• Like 5

On 3/19/2018 at 5:22 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I am not all that sure if I still can, but my Aunt Skeet taught me to swim in the pool my Uncle Lenny had built. I was a beauty: 25' X 75' and quite deep at the deep end.

Swimming to me is staying alive while I am in the water...barely. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

My first two friends, Christie & Karen, taught me to ride a bike when I five or six. My first bike was my freedom machine. I pedaled that thing all over town (Merrick my home town that is).

When I lost my hearing, I lost the equilibrium necessary for biking. C'est la vie, eh?.

• Like 5

I think it was around the timeframe shortly after I learned to swim, and I actively rode on a regular basis (as it was my main form of movement, exercise, and escape from everything but especially stuff/stress at home), to the point that in my teens and early twenties I was riding 15-25km per day. 

I always wanted to get into BMX, but my parents hymmed and hawwed every time it was brought up.  I later on found out how brutal it can be (on your body, but also the competitive aspect), but still want to go down the track at least once or twice. 

No real funny stories come to mind immediately, although I'd always outpace, and beat my cousins on endurance when biking.  Then again, St. Albert has some absolutely brutal bike parts to their bike trails that are really fun and absolutely gorgeous, but yeah... Steep hills that even walkers and runners have issues with. 

• Like 4

Yep.  My brother and I got a bike for Christmas one year.  No idea when, probably when I was 6 if I had to guess.  

Banana seat, no training wheels, solid black.  Dad would give us a push on the grass and we would go as far as we could until we fell over.  I remember the first time I went and didn't fall down, but still had to learn how to turn.  We were always looking for better license plates in boxes of Honeycomb cereal.

The first bike I bought with my own money was a Schwinn 10 speed.  I could fly!  My brother and all our friends were on bikes like the previously mentioned one... which were great for alleys and jumping things.  Suddenly, I could just blast past them and keep changing gears.  It was glorious.  We had a section of our neighborhood that enclosed several blocks, but had long straight edges on each side... so it was our go-to race track.  The backside of it had a downhill slope... a pretty decent downhill slope... and then at the corner it immediately climbed back up, so you wanted speed to get up the hill as fast as possible.  I was way out in the lead and really pushed it... and I almost made the corner... almost... The handlebars clipped me mid-thigh and I was rolling across Mr. Rhodes front yard.  I guess I was kinda used to it though, because we used to see how bad we could crash our dirt bikes at the end of our driveway into the grass.  Basically, go as fast as you can, do something funny or see how sideways you could get the bike and then flip and roll... I really don't know how we didn't break any bones... or how our parents didn't stop us... though we were all aware of Parental Units and could go from being awful to good in 0.23475 seconds...  

• Like 6