Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know You, Mar 2018

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 2nd-4th of March:  Do you attend any local conventions?  If so, what is available at the convention and what do you participate in?

No. I have been to a few shows when I was a Long Islander. I don't think they would qualify as conventions. You just got to check out the cool stuff, buy a thing or two from the vendors, & then go home.

The nearest convention here is Reaper Con & that is an eight hour drive. The state of my hearing would limit me to looking at the cool stuff, buying a thing or two from the vendors then driving home...Cap'n

John would, of course, try to it do all that in one day.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 5

Question the 2nd-4th of March:  Do you attend any local conventions?  If so, what is available at the convention and what do you participate in?

CaptainCon in Warwick RI. Usually held on superbowl weekend. 

They have warhammer 40k, warmachine, infinity, rpgs, a large, boardgame lending library, a painting contest, demos, and open gaming space. Also a system where doing stuff gets you points that can be redeemed for loot.

Here's what I did this last year: played rogue trader Freebootaz rpg, a bunch of random boardgames, arena rex demo, high heavens demo, pathfinder we be goblins, entered the painting contest, ran an improvised starfinder game, and got a pair of warmachine minis

• Like 5

The last two I attended were Animethon 11 (they're up to 25 this year) and Conversion 22 (which has changed its name, and is probably up to 12 or 13 now).

Animethon has always pretty much been local (I've lived in Edmonton most of my life), but I haven't gone since they royally jacked up the rates (it used to be $5 per day, or free entry if you brought a food bank donation - it's now like $45-60 per head) and got rid of the food bank drive (it was the biggest of the YEAR for the food bank back then).  12 was when they tried the $5 VIP pass (get into dealer's  den an hour earlier) and they broke even within the first three hours (and this, I didn't quite mind, because it was only going from $10 to $20 for a two day event if you paid for VIP - I just didn't go because I decided that working was more important at the time)...  Since then, it's become this massive commercial thing that refuses to change the name, instead of the grassroots fan run movement to get more people into it, as well as additional series to discover like it used to be (it's how I found out about my favourite anime, GetBackers!). 

Conversion I haven't been to for over a decade due to two reasons: one, it's three hours away now (I lived in Calgary back then), and two I only went because a rather insistent SilverLinz thought it would be fun for the local furs to invade it...  It was fun, a LOT of fun.  It was also fun getting a full PA system into a 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5, with lights too....  While I still had most of my racing kit in the trunk!  We had so little room, and in the end the guy who paid for the rental would up having the laser held in between his legs while we drove there.  I should try and find the pictures, his expression was hilarious. 

Was even more fun having "only" $70ish in rental PA gear, a dying laptop (that for some reason, after crashing three times ran perfectly fine all night), and a friend's borrowed external hard drive full of music (this was done last minute, like two hours before we were to be at the con last minute)....  We totally wasted the mobile djing company that was two doors over (and bragged repeatedly about how they had $40k in gear there with them)  - they couldn't keep more than 5-6 people in their room at any given time, whereas we had to actually have someone man the door because our room was over capacity...  Did I mention we did it all without any dedicated software?  It was run entirely in Windows Media Player... 

... Funny how paying attention to how people were reacting to the music and having a steady flow to the music makes for an enjoyable time - we also didn't care who you were, if you wanted to dance, come and dance!  If you just needed somewhere with good (but not too loud) music to relax and sit down for a but, we also had chairs along the side wall! 

..... We also weren't the ones who set off the fire alarms and cleared half the hotel into the parking lot.  Those mobile guys were not happy when the fire department told them what the bill would be (I think I heard the sum $22k, "give or take") for a false alarm.  They were told that smoke machine would set off the smoke detectors... Repeatedly by hotel security. 

As  for why our dance was so popular compared to the other guys, I'm attributing most of that success to Orcinus, because he was the one manning the PA the entire time, keeping the audio sounding as good as he could (and not drowning out our neighbours, who were trying to have their own event) ^_^

Edit: so no, I don't really so the convention thing, because I never buy the who "but it's only $45!" argument so many try to use.  That's just to get in the door.  Factor in food, a room to sleep in, and spending money and you're easily in the $500-1k range for a three day event.  It's why I haven't attended a local furcon, despite being a fifteen minute (or possibly slightly less) walk away from the hotel where its held...  There's two of us, and when you add in the hotel room (because nothing sucks more than having to go home after a con with tired/sore legs and a lack of energy) it gets pretty expensive. 

Sure, I did do Animethon 11 on a shoestring budget (I think it was around $200 total, including my greyhound trip from Red Deer and back) and I'd never do that again.  45 minute bus ride to get there, hour long trip to get back to the friends place I was staying at, and then having to PACK a lunch.  Yeah, not doing that again, even if con food is usually pricy - I'd rather not have to carry it around for half the day. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4

Back in Baltimore there's Charm City Game Day and TridentCon, both are little RPG cons that I've run games and played at. Also BaltiCon, the sc-fi/fantasy literature convention. It has a fantastic science track, costuming, nerd stuff... just a great mid-sized con, and well worth the trip. 

Gonna need to see what's up here in the NYC area.

• Like 6

Almost non-existent here.

I went to Belgium /Antwerp a few times for Crisis.

Mostly to pick up minis...

Haven't done that since 2012 I guess.

• Like 4

On 3/1/2018 at 6:41 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 1st of March:  Are you now, or have you ever been, involved in some form of Organized Play (Pathfinder Society, Adventure League and so forth)?  If so, how did you enjoy it?  Feel free to tell any funny stories of your experiences.

I never really did, unless you count Amtgard, which is, as far as I can tell, the least-well-known foam-sword LARP organization in the USA.

A friend of mine was really big in the Vampire the Masquerade LARP system. To the point that I was once talking to a guy in St. Louis about VtM in Austin...when I dropped my friend's character's name, this guy from three states away started begging me to come play, because I had played once with my friend...and apparently my friend had massive reputation in the Camarilla court of St. Louis, despite never having been there. That was a weird experience. Apparently my (incredibly narrowly defined) fictional-famous Kevin Bacon number is one.

I keep having show rehearsals or performances during Pittsburgh Comic-Con, and GASPcon (Gaming Association of Southwestern Pennsylvania) is sadly on hiatus. So...no? ::(:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

For me, there are a bunch of local-ish cons.  So many that I have to pick and choose which ones that I attend.

I try and make Connecticon every year.  It is a multi-genre convention with roleplaying, miniatures, cosplay, anime, videogames, book and movie tracks.  There are plenty of workshops (I have done a sculpting and cosplay one in the past) and panels (World Building with Bandon Sanderson was fun).  But I mostly play RPGs and shop the vendor hall.  This year I'm taking most of the family (Middle Child went with me last year and had a mini panic attack due to the crowds, so she's staying home this year.

I just went to TotalCon.  It's about an 1.5 hour drive each way and I decided to commute the whole weekend.  It's mostly board games and RPGs, with a some video games.  I played a metric elf-ton of Adventure League this year and had a blast.  I can see me making this one into a regular event.

I have been to Captain Con once a year or two ago.  I guy I worked with had a pair of tickets, but he had to cancel as he had to go to Louisiana to help out some neighbors clean up flooding.  So I got his tickets.  I only ended up going for one day, and Daughter Dilvish ended up getting sick.  Played some PFS and they had a strong cosplay presence.

In NH, there is the OGC (Open Gaming Convention) that is supposed to be pretty game heavy.  I haven't made it to that one yet either, most likely because it is so close to Connecticon.  Though if I do, my parents live 20 minutes away from the venue so I have a place to stay.

While cost can be a factor (as mentioned, when you add in the cost of a hotel it adds up quick), my biggest limiting factor is time off from work.  Most conventions seem to run from Thurs-Sun these days, and I only get 10-12 days of PTO a year.  Four of which are dedicated to RCon.  I tend to commute to the conventions as I don't mind the driving; I used to drive two hours each way to game with my H.S group every weekend, so that doesn't really bother me as long as I'll be spending most of the day at the venue.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Out here in the boonies we have the West Texas Tabletop Gaming Convention (say that five times real fast).  They've had it the last three years.  The first year and last year I went with the boys and played some demo games.  The second year I set up a booth and sold some stuff, so didn't get to play anything.  I would have last year, but they didn't have room for vendors other than the two stores that were co-sponsors of the event.  Really hoping this year they are at a larger venue so I can set up shop again, it was one of the few times I actually made money at a show.

• Like 6

Try to get to SALUTE every year if I'm home. Meet friends, try as many demo games as possible and inevitably buy a bag of shininess.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

The only local convention I attend regularly is Animazement in Raleigh, NC, which has very little to do with gaming.  The closest gaming convention I'm aware of is MACE in Charlotte, NC, and I've thought about going before, but I'm not sure what I'd do there.

• Like 3

Short answer is no.  As a rule, the only convention that I attend is ReaperCon, which is close (using the Texas definition of close) but I would not consider it local.

My convention tastes are fairly niche, focused almost entirely on fantasy miniatures and painting, since I don't play the associated games.  This limits the conventions I would even consider going to.  My current list is ReaperCon, Adepticon, and maybe LVO.  Would love to know of others.

• Like 4

We have a handful of small cons here, the three we've been going to are:

Kantcon, which is mostly RPGs, but there's a big board gaming club and some miniatures tables that set up.  Half a dozen local-ish vendors selling fantasy and card gaming stuff.  One year they had a gamers yard sale where we unloaded a lot of old rpg books, and they usually have a raffle on Saturday night and give away a ton of stuff.  It's not expensive, $30 for all 3 days.  (Compared to Comicon a few weeks ago which was $30-40 per DAY)  We go and roll dice all day. 

Midwest Gamefest, the RPGA and HMGS got together and pooled resources and have one big con.  Lots of RPG tables, lots of miniatures tables, a LARP or two, cosplay contest, handful of panels, auction, and big raffle on Sat night.  There's a handful of mostly the same vendors from Kantcon, and they get a few guests in to run games or sign autographs. Last year we had Rick Loomis.   I expect early bird tickets to be about $40 this year and will be signing up to RPG all weekend.  They have a nice hotel/conference center, but it's in the middle of nowhere and food is hard to get. 

Recruits, which is run by a local high school game club (and teachers and parents) is the most miniatures related con we go to.  It's mostly mini games, but board and card games sneak in and we've even had RPGs.  We get a lot of miniatures vendors, and there's a guest of some sort.  I run the paint and take table.  Last year we had two guest painters teaching classes (like at Reapercon) all weekend.  I think we're doing that again this year.  They have flea market tables on Friday and on Sat there is a HUGE silent auction.  It's $6 at the door per day. 

We also go to Spectrum, which is a fantasy art show, but it is not being held this year.  They are being pissy about attendance numbers.  It used to be $30 just to get in, and they tried various things to increase  numbers, like combining day passes with the local sci-fi con, or offering badges for $5.  It worked to get people in, but they are trying to compete with the big city sponsored street art fair downtown which has multiple live entertainment stages, food vendors, fireworks, etc and draws tens of thousands.  They don't understand that their small, but classy, art show isn't going to be the same draw. 

• Like 6

Indeed! 

My main interest is tabletop miniatures games, from skirmishes to mass battles. Locally, my club, the HAWKs,  puts on a two-day convention, Barrage, in Havre de Grace, Maryland. The next one will be in September. Barrage is all miniatures gaming (no planned board games, RPGs, or painting events) with some dealers and a flea market. I was awaiting surgery this last time and less in the mood than usual, but I ran a 40mm 18th century game, and played in my son’s Bronze Age Hittite/Egyptian chariot battle game. While all sorts of miniatures games are on offer, Barrage is mostly historical. 

The Historical Miniatures Gamng Society’s conventions in Lancaster, Pennsylvania are local to me. This year, all three will be there, Cold Wars, Historicon, and Fall In. They are also miniatures gaming centered, and I am usually shopping, running a game or two, and and playing a few games. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Don't really have game conventions in my area, the closest thing is that the Regina Fan Expo has a boardgaming area to teach people new games.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

'Local' convention is ... a loose term around here, given how far outside the city we live. 

We used to attend Gamestorm (Vancouver WA), but stopped going because, even though we love the people, there just wasn't anything for us to /do/. We don't really do indie games, Mr. Thorne can't handle a loud room full of board gamers for any period of time (or he'd be camped in the Battletech room all con, I'm sure of it), and ... yah. :/

Last few times, even the panels were barely worth the trouble for us.

We went to Dragonflight. . once? Weren't impressed. The dealers probably liked us, though; I bought a lot of prints. Might try it again, if we have the con budget; it's not like we don't have a reason to turn up at gaming conventions for no apparent reason.

Went to Orcacon, their first year. Didn't /do/ much; but we're thinking we might go back.

Have been to Paizocon .. often. Lots of panels, albeit of late, those have been less and less interesting, much gaming. Even some of it not PFS. Last couple of years, I admit I've spent large chunks of the convention camped at the Paint and Take, painting. There was gaming and art and a bit of paint demo-ing - Paizocon has generally been worth the trouble.

I understand there are a number of anime and comic conventions 'in the area' - ECCC, GeekGirlCon and.. there's another one, but I can't recall the name. Never been to any. I think we skirted one last year, because people we knew were going and we decided to have lunch. The size of the crowds told us we probably weren't attending that convention, though.

Debating GeekGirlCon; if they haven't gone and jumped the political shark...

• Like 4