Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know You, Mar 2018

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 7th of March:  How many discontinued or out of print games do you still play/want to play?

CAV2

Starmada: Admiralty edition

There are a few more in my cabinet that I'm not sure on the status of the game with their respective companies.

And to clarify, I don't get to play very often.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 7th of March:  How many discontinued or out of print games do you still play/want to play?

I have a copy of MERPS I bought because a friend was going to run it, and never did. Would like to give that a try. Also have Legends of the Old West, which was fun before the group broke up.  There's a good handful of oddball RPGs that we found at Gencon or Origins over the years and couldn't interest anyone back home into playing. Goblins Ate my Baby and Bureau 13 come to mind.  Tried to run Cyberpunk, and my group was like "WTF?" Cool setting but they couldn't get into it. 

• Like 2

This week took a bit of a turn for the stupidly busy, 

On 3/5/2018 at 6:22 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 5th of March:  What genre, style or type of mini do you feel is under represented?  What company makes any minis of that style (feel free to post and example so that we can get a feel for what you want to see more of).

cat men. I have many cat women, but very few cat men. werewolf women again huge gender disparity in the minis I have. player character robots. woman soldiers (scifi or modern) who are not russian snipers. (I have plenty of sniper women) player character kobolds

On 3/6/2018 at 6:49 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 6th of March:  Are you a person that re-reads books?  Which book or series have you re-read the most?  If you don't re-read, what do you do with the book after you finish it?

not often. I do tend to reread short stories and comics, but most novels are only once. I usually just give the book away if I don't think I'll read it again.

This is a hard question to answer given the whole available in pdf as long as someone has clear ownership of rights thing.

completely dead: AT-43 I still really like this game! on very rare occasion I can still find someone who is up for playing it.

AT-43 dungeon crawler I have the book for this, but I have never gotten anyone to play it.

battle fleet gothic

out of date:

Infinity 2nd ed. 3rd kind of turned things into a faux squad based game which was really not what I wanted.

dark heresy/rogue trader/black crusade It is fun, it kind of limps on in pdf reissues, even though the new version isn't out yet.

necromunda previous edition

it is dies, it lives, it dies again:

Space hulk keeps dying and then rising again every couple of years. still good

siege of the citadel I found a copy of this at an auction for a friend, still a fun game to play, and I'm waiting for the new version

• Like 4

Lots.  My top list is Russian Campaign and Afrika Korps, both published by Avalon Hill.  (I believe there was an edition of Russian Campaign before being published by Avalon Hill, and at least two published afterwards, but I don't think it's in print now.)

If I could get another three people together, Stellar Conquest, also published by Avalon Hill (and, I believe, Metagaming before that).  It's hard enough finding someone to play the two-player wargames with though.  (My wife isn't interested.)

For the longest time, this list would have also included Ogre (Steve Jackson Games) but it's back in print after the Designer's Edition kickstarter, so yay.

• Like 3

We still play with our second edition Talisman set. When we play D&D it’s been 3.5. We still have our trunk of ancient games: third edition Runequest, Bushido, first edition Champions and Hero System, etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 7th of March:  How many discontinued or out of print games do you still play/want to play?

I can think of six.

Interesting that previous responders answered by listing titles. As if the question had finished with, “...and what are they?Useful since some of you reminded me of games I was not remembering. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

I can think of six.

Interesting that previous responders answered by listing titles. As if the question had finished with, “...and what are they?Useful since some of you reminded me of games I was not remembering. 

Oops, probably my bad for not reading the question carefully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am sure there is one I am not remembering...so Final Answer: SEVEN. 

Does Warlord count as Out-Of-Print...? :blues::mellow:::(:

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, TGP said:

I can think of six.

I had to list them to count them anyway, so... might as well type it out!

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Reread Books: Yes, probably Heinlein or Asimov.  I have about 300' of book shelves that are mostly full of paperback books. This is for my books, my wife and I have about 70' more of hardbound books. I read enough that if I did not reread I would run out of books.

Out of print games: I play may OOP board games and RPGs.  At the present time I am playing in print games both RPG and board.  When we burn out on an RPG we go to another that might be OOP.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Margaret Weis Productions Marvel Heroic system.  (Amazing).

Heroquest. (and more fun!)

2e Planescape (technically in print at rpgnow, but not in actual print). 

Mille Borne

Warmachine Mk2

Shadowrun 2e

Earthdawn 2e

Seven or so currently, and that will vary.  I like board games, card games, and I play them with my grand parents and my children.

• Like 3

Does this have something to do with the announcement that the Pathfinder 2nd Edition Playtest will be released? :huh:

I have all I need (and more) to do a D&D 3.5 game, though Pathfinder has filled that gap in my life quite nicely. I'm also up for a game of Rolemaster, despite its labyrinthine rules system.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Erh... Yes?

At least three. Maybe more if you count 2e settings. But, at least three. ^^;

• Like 3

It might be easier to list in print games that I play/want to. There aren't that many compared to oop. Most of my collection is oop and I still play them all as much as possible, which means hardly ever.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I can think of six.

I have to list them or I wouldn't be able to count them! ::P: Hadn't noticed Crowley said the same thing at first. The way my memory works it wold be easier if I looked at the selves holding them but half my games are at another house so here's trying to remember.

Battletech. Don't know if this should be listed or not but my stuff is oop. I keep thinking of buying some of the new rules and minis. Haven't played in ages. Full Thrust. The rules are available for download free. I've only played it a few times using paper counters. I so want to buy a handful of different small fleets but spend my hobby money on other things. My scratchbuild attempts weren't great.

The rest of these get played from time to time.

Renegade Legion by Fasa.

Axis and Allies original game. 

Shogun/Samurai Swords. Don't know if this is oop now because they did a reprint long after my version.

Twilight Imperium 3. Heard that they recently released a v4.

Heroquest. Burnt out on this a bit because my oldest was totally obsessed with it. It's too simple for my tastes but has still gotten tons of playing.

Armies of Arcana. This could still be in print if some of the shareholders hadn't gone stupid. My go to Warhammer replacement. Bitter about it being oop because I'm one of the shareholders, put a ton of work into the latest version of the rules and even have my name in the book. I still have a few rulebooks to sell but there's not much interest in it as a "dead/oop" game.

So I'm going with 8 games although I'm sure I could come up with more easily.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I suppose I could say yes since Shadowrun  books rarely have print runs done of them.  Some books I've had sit on order for over a year, and then a get this awkward call from one of my local gaming stores "uhhhh, I see you ordered this two years ago, by chance do you still want it?" to which the reply is usually over-enthusiastic simply because a) I'd forgotten I had ordered such, and b) omg they finally did another print run and I'm not forced to use PDF's anymore... 

So including that, BattleTech 4th edition (assuming parents didn't throw it away on me), and my Heavy Gear 2nd edition (since half the books are oop now)... That makes at least three off the top of my head. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2