Rob Dean

Marching On: March 2018 Goals

If you work someplace sane and can take lunch, put together a travel paint kit and work on a figure or two at lunch.  The nice thing about painting is that it all adds up.

• Like 6

On 3/1/2018 at 8:58 AM, Rob Dean said:

It’s the 1st, and time for more goals...

I want to:

finish my six Sleestaks

paint a couple of vintage Tolkien units

get some project planning on paper

play some games

And at mid-month, I’ve been making good progress on the Tolkien stuff, but I’ve only touched the Sleestaks to move them out of the way. ::P:

I got up to Cold Wars over the weekend, so games have been played, and the warband lists for the Tolkien project are taking shape. Looks like a good month so far. 

I’m about to paint some historical Dark

Ages guys. This wasn’t on my list for this month, but is a top five, so it isn’t totally out of left field. 

• Like 5

On 3/1/2018 at 4:43 PM, SparrowMarie said:

March:

• Take photos and post a show off of my Minivember minis (I'm way behind on this)
  • Finish putting all my paints in the paint swatch journal
  • Find more paint storage
  • Paint some things (not sure what yet)

Mid-month update: have not done any of these. I have made progress on the paint swatches. I did start up two new projects which I assume I'll start/finish painting this month as long as the paints I need get here before the end of the month. I started on my Mini Ma'al and then started planning out Isabeau Laroche who I'm going to paint up to look like Captain Marvel. I have both WIP's in my signature if you want to take a look at those. 

• Like 6

Well month is nearly over and I hadn't posted my goals.

* finish 9 of 18 Zcide BP fatties

* Finish my Kid Barbarian 

* finish Grin then Zcide BP Necromancer 

• Like 6

On 3/4/2018 at 3:17 PM, Doublesix66 said:

my goals for March are:

a) finish my UTF Cav force only 9 Cavs, 8 vehicles, 1 aircraft & 48 infantry to do (and update my thread)

b) continue to do my 15mm Neo-soviet force at least get 4 more vehicles done (and update my thread)

c) finish off the 4 10mm damaged buildings I'm working on (and update my thread)

possible other bits I might try & get in

d) finish some 15mm squid men cultist that I've undercoated ages ago

e) get  a few more bretonnians done this time some spearmen & Halberdiers, undercoated just need to start them

f) start my Warzone Dark Eden force off & maybe some more cybertronic these are the old Metal ones not the newer plastic ones.

Nearly Finished a) just need to varnish them & finish bases not done the infantry as I wanted to get a few more and do as a batch lot

b) done completed 4 vehicles & started 4 more

c) nearly done

d) nearly done as well

e) & f) not had time to do so will go forward to Aprils list of to do

• Like 5

On 3/19/2018 at 8:35 AM, SparrowMarie said:

Mid-month update: have not done any of these. I have made progress on the paint swatches. I did start up two new projects which I assume I'll start/finish painting this month as long as the paints I need get here before the end of the month. I started on my Mini Ma'al and then started planning out Isabeau Laroche who I'm going to paint up to look like Captain Marvel. I have both WIP's in my signature if you want to take a look at those. 

Finished up the MSP core colors swatch journal. Currently working on setting up my journal for everything else I have. I got some minis linered, that counts as painting right? 

I need to order paint but that won't happen until this coming weekend. I spent half of my paint money on steam games. Oops.

• Like 3

It’s been a little slow since the snow day, but it looks like I will at least add a little group of 1/72 NPCs to the portable fantasy collection by tomorrow:

FDADA00D-64A1-4875-8655-67BDFC459093.thumb.jpeg.e95590fb0656e64402518b2fe233445e.jpeg

I’m basing the pilgrim; others will be part of next month when I start to reorient toward working on 1/72 in anticipation of

taking them to this year’s conventions. 

2189926D-52BC-41E4-9F11-ABD4B8E15908.thumb.jpeg.98ac94db2020b89d318818285c10ae22.jpeg

A pair of townsfolk today...

• Like 4

This month has been busy but I have:

• Finished up journal 1 for now (ordering more paint soon).
  • Did not get anything painted ::(:
  • Did not find paint storage but have started working on organizing the work area.
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2018 at 5:00 PM, Auberon said:

Try to work on the garage kit.

First though, finish cleaning the paint area.  I started last night but it needs a bit more work.

• Like 3

My goals this month were to work on my Minifigs Mythical Earth Warbands and paint some Sleestaks.  Unfortunately, the Sleestaks are being carried over to next month, but, as displayed in these threads, I did well on the MEs, with 38 figures finished, including a unit of elves, a unit of humans, and enough singles to complete partial units of goblins, orcs and wolves (for Dragon Rampant, with units of 12 foot or 6 beasts or mounted).   I also finished up 10 early Dark Ages historicals for my Dux Bellorum war bands, a single Star Frontiers adventurer for my vintage SF project, and 3 1/72 plastic figures for my Portable Fantasy Campaign, which I need to prioritize next month, for a total of 52 figures not considering scale.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79755-minifigs-mythical-earth-lord-of-the-rings-warbands-picture-heavy/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80047-snow-day-final/

I also said that I wanted to play some games (i.e. miniatures games), and I was in five, including a Dux Bellorum game that was the first outing for figures I’ve been working on now since 2013. ::P:

Some of my project planning is making it to paper, so that wasn’t too bad either.  It’s really been a pretty good month; hope April is at least half as good...

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2018 at 1:59 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

From Feb...

• Decide on a colour scheme for my Catachans, clean up at least ten of them, and then get started on their painting
  • Clean up a squad of 10 8 Tau Fire Warriors and finalize their initial painting
  • Finish that lost model from the Layer Up! LTPK
  • Create an inventory spreadsheet of my various miniatures so I can track what I have and all that
  • Paint (or hobby) every day!
  • Assemble the remainder of my pewter Skaven from the 25th anniversary boxed army
  • Organize bits boxes

For 2018...

• Pick up some CAV miniatures
  • Pick up some Heavy Gear miniatures
  • Order... stuff from Secret Weapon (I'm really wanting the washes, weather acrylics, pigments, and some more bases!)

For March!

• Start converting bases for my Catachans from basic GW ones to stamped ones.  Goal I'm shooting for is 6x 60mm, and 10x 25mm
  • Convert a unit of my Tau to stamped bases (Goal: 8)
  • Assemble the remainder of my Rat Ogres, and Rebase them onto circular bases
  • Convert at least one of my Skaven units over to 25mm circular bases (Goal: 20)
  • Finalize how I'll be setting up Wyrmgear's wings, pin them in place, and then greenstuff the various things (rebuild certain parts, seal gaps, etc)
  • Start painting at least one of the minis in my Furiously Fluffy Howling Hounds army
  • Assemble a good portion of the miniatures I've picked up for my FFHH army
  • Get base coats for my rainbow dragon done, including planning of secondary and highlight colour locations (Ebonwrath)
  • Obviously get my March 2018 order in with Reaper >.>;;;;

That seems like about it, at least for now.  Might add more later!

Not obvious at all that hubby and I spent a good amount of time out of the house exploring the city, alongside work being busier due to drivers leaving or being on vacation, orrrr that I took a break for a bit after having spilt my water cup and almost destroying my mouse aaand headphone amplifier.

Some are partially done, like the Catachan, Skaven and Tau bases have been made, I just haven't worked on bringing minis over to them.

Others didn't happen, like an order being put in this month at Reaper, but sometimes that happens.  I might be having to hold off until May, just so a few other things are sorted out anyways.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2018 at 4:28 PM, Evilhalfling said:

Continuing Projects:
Lord of Crypt Bust:  (CMPA Bust a Move Challenge) 

Phoenix : Kingdom Death 

Bones Sophie Troll slayer 

New 

Bones2 thief 

Bones2 falcon 

Knight of the Autumn Moon

Mystic Theurge  

2 survivors: KD

- rawhide  skull helm 

Assemble Dung Beetle Knight : KD  (shipping begins March 7) 

Got everything painted except the Phoenix (no progress) and the Bust (its not really done, but im done working on it) 

plus went a little nutty trying to finish more bones from the second KS. 

Bloodhoof Minotaur 

Pathfinder thief 

Gorgon 

Desert Thing 

and a KD survivor in (black) lion armor . 

I am close enough to finish the set in April, if I wasn't trying to prioritize writing.

• Like 4

Very meager progress on Mal this month, since I re-discovered Rift, the MMORPG.  So I have been spending a whole bunch of time playing that instead of painting.

• Like 3