Clearman

Dragon Lords: Grenadier miniatures

Well I've a couple questions.

Did Mirlton ever settle the dispute with Sandra Garrity over their unauthorized production and sale of miniatures of her sculpts?

Has it ever been clarified which Grenadier minis Mirlton owns the rights to and which ones they don't?

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Well I've a couple questions.

Did Mirlton ever settle the dispute with Sandra Garrity over their unauthorized production and sale of miniatures of her sculpts?

Has it ever been clarified which Grenadier minis Mirlton owns the rights to and which ones they don't?

I don’t know about anybody else, but without an answer either way to these questions this is by default a “pass” for me.

• Like 5

For those unfamiliar with the issue. 

- Here's a link to the thread discussing the issue on the Reaper forum:

• Like 3

I love old Grenadier.

However this is a bit...I don't know.

Already some people on Ebay ask ridicilous prices for Old Grenadier minis.

I'm a little afraid "mint boxes" are going to show up at huge prices while these in fact will be recasts..

I do own a few Mirliton minis, in the mentioned thread there is a list of the stuff that they are infringing copyright on.

There are other minis they are allowed to sell though.

In the end. I prefer the real stuff call me crazy, but I love searching and collecting the real stuff.

• Like 6

I have a fair bit of nostalgia for these sculpts, but the shipping knocks these out of the range I'm willing to spend for them, since the only cost they show for the USA is 35 euros.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I love old Grenadier.

However this is a bit...I don't know.

Already some people on Ebay ask ridicilous prices for Old Grenadier minis.

I'm a little afraid "mint boxes" are going to show up at huge prices while these in fact will be recasts..

If you channel your inner Archimedes, it is conceivably possible to determine if the mini is vintage leaded pewter or (as these apparently are) white metal.

This would of course require having possession of the miniature first....

31 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I do own a few Mirliton minis, in the mentioned thread there is a list of the stuff that they are infringing copyright on.

There are other minis they are allowed to sell though.

Are any of the ones being offered here Garrity sculpts? I haven’t looked. If there are, that could cause...issues...if she decided to make a fuss directly to KS.

Didn’t see any sculptor names in the project description, but that seems to be an issue all around with Mirilton.

13 minutes ago, Mckenna35 said:

I have a fair bit of nostalgia for these sculpts, but the shipping knocks these out of the range I'm willing to spend for them, since the only cost they show for the USA is 35 euros.  

:blink:

If the above turned out to not be a dealbreaker, this probably would do it anyway.

• Like 3

I have not tried to track down the original sculptors yest, but the sets that they intend to produce with the campaign are:

2001 Wizards : Masters of sorcery

2002 Halfling Party

2003 Dwarves Troop

5001 Dungeon Explorers

5002 Monsters 

I would tend toward wanting the originals myself, and not necessarily excited about these being recasts.

• Like 1

Even if the ownership rights of the minis in this kickstarter are not in question, I'm still not going to support a company that doesn't respect a sculptors and/or another companies rights of ownership.

Until I hear that dispute has been settled, I won't be ordering anything from Mirlton.

And I'm hoping it will be, as I really want the Goblin War Giant eventually.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Has anyone contacted Sandra about this KS?

I tried to through messenger. No response.

• Like 2

Wow, I actually have quite a few of these mini's, both painted and unpainted:) Was going to post some of the painted ones, now I know which ones are which::D:

On a side note, wish Reaper and Sandra could get the rights and release them themselves.

• Like 3

Just to clarify. I don't believe that any of the minis actually in the kickstarter are actually Garrity sculpts, although I could be wrong.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Just to clarify. I don't believe that any of the minis actually in the kickstarter are actually Garrity sculpts, although I could be wrong.

I looked at at the list from the other thread, and it doesn't look like it.  Unless the renamed and reused some sculpts.

• Like 3