Chris Palmer

Off With His Head!: An Open Head Swap Topic

Over on the Ghost Archipelago thread in the Fantasy forum, I posted about a toy-elephant head I glued to a Bones Bugbear to make a creature called an Eritherean, which is featured in the Bestiary for those rules, and is essentially an elephantman.  This led to a long discussion, and the inevitable gluing of the spare Bugbearhead to the Elephant's body.

It also made me realize how addictive head-swapping is, and since it was beginning to derail the Ghost Archieplago thread, I thought I'd open a new thread here for everybody to share any head-swapping projects they were doing.

To see the original thread, and subsequent discussion:

And here are the photos of my efforts so far:

fullsizeoutput_2f0c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f0e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f0f.jpeg

CF8EB289-109E-4A9C-959B-40E0926C4C1E.thumb.jpeg.b62e13bc26abf420a06c168c3a23006f.jpeg

So what have you been working on!?

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 15
  • Haha 7

Just for my understanding: Means sawing the head off and swap it with another creature or just like: I have a body - I have a head - ahhh - Body with new head?

image-1054342-galleryV9-rmoz-1054342.jpg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Just for my understanding: Means sawing the head off and swap it with another creature or just like: I have a body - I have a head - ahhh - Body with new head?

Lol....I think any new head is fine as long as it’s not the head the figure was originally sculpted with or was intended to have.  Certainly swapping a new head from the exact same type of creature/being, but a different model of it, would be fun to see too.

Though for some reason I now have the urge to give a figure a pineapple head!  So I guess we should open it up to fruit and vegetable swaps as well! :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Yeah ... well in that case ... my Soviet Russian girls.

They were men beforehand and I made them into girls. Has been more a conversion than a simple headswap, but well ... why not?

Started off with this:

jykm-1lx-dd24.jpg

... into this ...

jykm-1m4-d9a7.jpg

into this ...

jykm-1m2-5625.jpg

... and finally ...

jykm-1ni-e46d.jpg

jykm-1nm-4ec3.jpg

jykm-1nh-c008.jpg

Finished around 40 of them, got 40 more on the table plus a few metal guys I have to finish ...

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 16

The Bones hell hound on the body of the clay golem... I'm nowhere close to finishing this project anytime soon, lol. This was just my proof-of-concept mock-up, with a spare clay golem I'd stolen the arm off of.

IMG_7169.JPG.96ff77234df497c13a97b123ac5aad66.JPG

It's too bad I never took pictures of the time I took the Fish Priest and put the head of the Tiik Champion on him - I sculpted scales all down its back and put the lower set of arms from the champion on him as well. I should remember to ask Dilvish if he still has the guy, maybe he could take a pic or two.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

The Bones hell hound on the body of the clay golem... I'm nowhere close to finishing this project anytime soon, lol. This was just my proof-of-concept mock-up, with a spare clay golem I'd stolen the arm off of.

IMG_7169.JPG.96ff77234df497c13a97b123ac5aad66.JPG

It's too bad I never took pictures of the time I took the Fish Priest and put the head of the Tiik Champion on him - I sculpted scales all down its back and put the lower set of arms from the champion on him as well. I should remember to ask Dilvish if he still has the guy, maybe he could take a pic or two.

I might still have it here somewhere.  Or the house ate it.  I've looked for it a half dozen times with no success so far.  Though to be fair, there is plenty of camouflage for it to hide in around here.

• Like 3

:blink: Dude, those aren't weapon bits attached to Rautharos... That's a bunch of Rautharos bits attached to a weapon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Smokestack said:

I swapped a head on Rautharos with a GW ogre head and some weapon bits.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Wow, that’s impressive!

Looks like a good way to make a Barsoomian Thark as well.

11 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Yeah ... well in that case ... my Soviet Russian girls.

They were men beforehand and I made them into girls. Has been more a conversion than a simple headswap, but well ... why not?

Started off with this:

jykm-1lx-dd24.jpg

... into this ...

jykm-1m4-d9a7.jpg

into this ...

jykm-1m2-5625.jpg

... and finally ...

jykm-1ni-e46d.jpg

jykm-1nm-4ec3.jpg

jykm-1nh-c008.jpg

Finished around 40 of them, got 40 more on the table plus a few metal guys I have to finish ...

I’m not seeing the “before” pictures, but if they started out as men, then that’s some pretty nifty converting! And kudos for doing so many!  I’ve only ever done conversions on 10 like figures, I can’t imagine  dong 80!

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

So what have you been working on!?

It's a small world after all!  :D  I used that very same bugbear model (#77231, "Rugg, Bugbear Leader") for a Gatorman conversion for a (recently concluded) Iron Kingdoms RPG campaign:

chieftain_rainmaker__iron_kingdoms_gator

I'm pretty sure I used a Warhammer Fantasy Ogre Kingdoms weapon arm to replace the right hand.  The back banner pole is from Warhammer Fantasy Dwarves.  The head is from Reaper #0263, "Shrend, Alligator Man."  (I got maybe half a dozen copies of that model years ago as part of a clearance lot, originally intended for an Egyptian-themed fantasy campaign, but more recently found a new life for them as "Gatormen" for the Iron Kingdoms universe.)

This became "Chief Rainmaker," Gatorman tribe chieftain -- and father to one of the PCs (and an occasionally appearing NPC who was sometimes pawned off to "special guest star" visiting players from out of town to take over as a temporary PC).  The pointing hand just seemed perfect as saying, "Aha!  This gator is giving COMMANDS!"

18 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Epiphany!  I never realized until now that he is a KIT-BASHER!  Amazing!  :D

Edited by Jordan Peacock
  • Like 9

46 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:

I'm pretty sure I used a Warhammer Fantasy Ogre Kingdoms weapon arm to replace the right hand.  The back banner pole is from Warhammer Fantasy Dwarves.  The head is from Reaper #0263, "Shrend, Alligator Man."  (I got maybe half a dozen copies of that model years ago as part of a clearance lot, originally intended for an Egyptian-themed fantasy campaign, but more recently found a new life for them as "Gatormen" for the Iron Kingdoms universe.)

This became "Chief Rainmaker," Gatorman tribe chieftain -- and father to one of the PCs (and an occasionally appearing NPC who was sometimes pawned off to "special guest star" visiting players from out of town to take over as a temporary PC).  The pointing hand just seemed perfect as saying, "Aha!  This gator is giving COMMANDS!"

Very cool!  There is a distinct advantage to the bugbears having the frontally placed neck for making creature conversions.  The gaping mouth certainly looks like someone barking orders! 

You did a great job on it.  Did you do anything particular about the furry legs, or just paint over them assuming they looked close enough to scales? 

49 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:
19 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Epiphany!  I never realized until now that he is a KIT-BASHER!  Amazing!  :D

MIND-BLOWN!  :blink::wacko::ph34r::blues::lol:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Checked the links and redid them. It should work now.

Yes, the links work great now, thanks!   So, who makes the plastic Russians in greatcoats?  And who makes the female heads?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chris Palmer said:

Yes, the links work great now, thanks!   So, who makes the plastic Russians in greatcoats?  And who makes the female heads?

Warlord Games for the Russians and the heads are Statuesque Miniatures

• Like 5