Chris Palmer

Off With His Head!: An Open Head Swap Topic

21 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

You've got me thinking now about where I can find cheap figures dressed in Napoleonic style uniforms with flintlock pistol and sword... and a supply of cheap hippos.

The fish head for my conversion came from a dollar store bag of animals and I have seen some in scale hippos over the years.

• Like 5

Yes, as Glitterwolf said; plastic Napoleonics are easy and inexpensive to come by.  Though for the hippos, as both Glitterwolf and Rat replied, you will have to get some bags of cheap plastic jungle animals.  Outside of a local dollar type store, Amazon or Ebay will be you friend there...

• Like 4

On 3/25/2018 at 2:31 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

Those both actually look pretty good.

You've got me thinking now about where I can find cheap figures dressed in Napoleonic style uniforms with flintlock pistol and sword... and a supply of cheap hippos.

giff.jpg

If this results in actual figures being made, you GOTTA post some pictures!:winkthumbs:

• Like 2

Been nosing around for cheap Prussian officers or general Napoleonics... weirdly enough, I already HAVE a supply of hippos.

Boy, there's a line for "Out Of Context D&D," ain't it?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I have been swapping heads & other body parts, on minis that is, for as long as I have been doing toy soldier/miniatures. 

The last batch of Pumpkin Heads had some home grown Jack O'Lanterns. AND now I'm playing around with the idea of

making my own chibish style heads for the kit bashed bodies. This is a kind of Munchausen look head swap:

DSCN6250.thumb.JPG.53ec3f3f9636c4e25c0ab807ff505dd5.JPGDSCN6251.thumb.JPG.fbf6a70fe4ebb5859a90a8c0886fda3a.JPG

with a closeup:

DSCN6252.thumb.JPG.3b93d224f065a3b0ff17995ba1e15d65.JPG

I have some ideas for Zombie/Revenant heads & G.W. parts as well. 

• Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By djizomdjinn
      It's been far, far too long since I sat down and painted a mini. Too many other life priorities. But anyways...

So, I painted a Sisters of Battle terminator, and I decided I wanted her as a mini. Games Workshop does not sell SoB terminators. And so began my long conversion process, spending far too much money on bits for a model that probably can't be ever fielded.

A ton of plasticard cementing, ProCreate sculpting, and general hackery later, I came out with this. Proportions are somewhat wonky, but I think they're beyond my capability to fix short of sculpting everything from scratch. Plus GW's proportions have always been wonky, especially for terminators.

A coat of primer and I'm feeling better about this whole project already.
    • By Crowley
      After converting Ingrid to better match the character she's going to represent (giving her a bow and rapier), last night I got to painting.

I started with thinned down brown liner, then went straight to the eyes with Linen White. Surf Aqua was used for her irises, and brown liner for the pupil. I painted her flesh with a 2:1 Warrior Flesh: Linen White mix. Her hair is Blond Shadow with highlights of Tanned Leather. Her lower lip is a 1:1 blend of her flesh tone with Old West Rose.

The armor, gloves, boots were painted with a thinned Rich Leather. The bow and scabbard are painted with a mix of Brown Liner and Rich Leather. Her cloak was painted with Mountain Stone, and then washed with a 1:2:2 mix of Grey Liner: Mountain Stone: Flow Improver.

Because I want to bring her to game on Wednesday, and don’t think I’ll get any more time to work on her between now and then, I picked out the end of the scabbard and the tips of the bow with Dragon Bronze, and gave the base a quick wet brush of Redstone Shadow.

Not bad for a night's work...
    • By Inarah
      There's an old engineering saying: "Fast, cheap, or good, pick any two. " In this case I needed a bunch of 1920's investigators in normal street clothes, I wanted them ready in two weeks and  I didn't want to pay $5-$7 each for them.  So I got on Ebay and bought plastic clicky game figures for a dollar a head (shipping included) and did a little putty and paint work on them.   Finished everything Saturday morning, and then the game got pushed back to next week.  Which only means that I have time to paint more monsters. 

Here are the ladies:

The one in the blue dress is from Reaper. They all could use more detail, but I was in a hurry. 

Gentlemen: 

The one on the end is from Heresy, I think.  They could all use hats but I'm not that good. 

I made most of the bases out of putty, using texture stamps.

Before photos and WIP: 

• By Chaoswolf
      Lithia surveyed her surroundings warily; the battle for this ship wasn't over yet. Thanks to the warning from that ELz-1 protection unit that their unusual passenger had, they were aware of the raiders almost as soon as they struck. The rest of the ship's security and crew had broken up into small groups to ferret out the attackers. Thanks to her background with the commandos, she was scouting ahead of the main group by herself, which was exactly how she liked it.

I found this figure on the melt table at Reapercon; she was headless and had some damage to her back, but I liked the figure and grabbed it anyway. I recently rediscovered her a few weeks ago while I was looking for something else, and decided to fix her up. Her head came from ShieldWolf miniatures plastic shieldmaiden kit, and I covered up the damage on her back by giving her a backpack/comm unit/tech thingy made from part of a GW plasma pistol, and bits of Bones sprue carved to shape.

Thanks for looking.

• By Rat13
      About a month ago I was at a birthday party for one of my friends and it was at that party I had an interesting conversation with another friend that lead to the creation of this miniature. This particular friend enjoys playing tabletop games and has recently been looking into playing Warhammer 40K. He already plays a few different GW games, so he is very aware of what he's getting into.

So while doing some research he came across fan art of the Imperial Guardsmen with fish heads, which he quickly pulled up on his phone and showed me. We both laughed and agreed that would be a ton of fun to play.

After that conversation I knew exactly what I wanted to give him for his birthday which was only a month away. Now a smart man would have taken that newly acquired knowledge and immediately started building. I however am not a smart man and I completely forgot about it until a few days before his party.

So I scrambled and quickly painted a Cadien I had leftover from a previous project, it wasn't a Guardsman but I figured he'd love it anyway. I still had to find a fish though and after four dollar stores I finally found the perfect fish head. 

Finding the head was a godsend but I still had work to do. Over the course of three days I removed the head of the fish, primed it, painted it, and pinned it into the Cadien figure's neck. Then I sealed the figure and based it with some rocks and grass.

I finished this piece about three hours before the party. I don't really base my figures, so this is my first truly "complete" miniature and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

I'd love to hear what you think, I won't be able to alter this piece but critiques are welcome.
  • Who's Online   45 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)