Dalth

Diorama question for Reapercon

I was considering working on a small diorama for reapercon this year.  A dragon and a party of adventures.  As much as I enjoy painting I think I enjoy basing slightly more, and I get more compliments on my bases.  So I figured maybe I'd take a shot at it.

I'm considering trying to do something with some very fine fishing line so I can have some sort of arcane bolt flying from the mage towards the dragon, but I wasn't sure if that would detract from the model or not.  

I'm thinking of using either 03547: Juliette, Wizard or 89006: Seoni, Iconic Sorceress and having them cast a magic missile or something towards the dragon.  But the only way to really pull that off is with something to hang them off of.  But if something like that is viewed poorly by the judges I would rethink it.  

Well, its all about how well its executed. My personal viewpoint would be that if the fishing line is clearly visible then it would detract from the presentation. If you could pull off something cool that gives the same effect that would be better. There are lots of ways to do it and I'm sure folks here would be happy to make suggestions on how you could pull it off. Like instead of suspending it in mid air show it impacting on the dragon, or just coming off the caster's hand, or maybe something with a long smoke trail or streamer behind it (so use solid piano wire or something for this).

• Like 2

Thanks that's a good point.  

If I could do it without it being really visible then that would be fine, but if I can't then it's going to detract from the overall effect.  I'll see what I can come up with.

26 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

have you considered PMMA optical fibres?

I'm brand new to this whole thing.  Been painting for a while but this will be my first attempt at something more than a base for a single model.  So no, but I'll look into them. :)

I'd use a fine, stiff wire coming out of the wizard's hand extending part way to the dragon.  Sculpt a bulge at the end and taper back to the hand.  then paint the bulge as the missile and the wire/taper as the light streak behind it. This will give yo a better sense of motion as well as the light flash is typically instantaneous, so being stopped at that point will show motion.

The problem you will have with fishing line is that it will stretch after you attach it and will sag.  It will also collect dust.  

How ever you do it. you might want to plan on attaching this part at the Con, as it will be VERY fragile and will be difficult to get down there without damaging it.

• Like 2

You could get a length of fiber optic line that glows when lit.  You could then run this from the dragon to the wizard's hand.  Then embed an LED in the dragon's body and light the end of it there.  The whole thing would light up and look like a ray.

• Like 6

That's a great idea.  I'll have to think about it when time comes to assemble everything.