Weird-O

Citadel Shadow Grey replacement?

When I first picked up my fleet of Full Thrust Swabians, I painted them using Citadel Shadow Grey as the base color. I finally ordered the second half of the fleet last Christmas, but now that I can finally paint them, not only are my Shadow Grey pots empty, but they don't even make the stuff anymore. I looked up the equivalent in newer colors, and it gave me "The Fang" (who the elf names these things?), but when I tried that it proved to be way off, far darker and more blue than Shadow Grey.

Does anyone know of anything that actually matches Shadow Grey? I'd like to avoid mixing if at all possible.

Thanks!

Have you tried Reaper's Power Palette? 

I just checked the spreadsheet for color matching, and Citadel Shadow Gray wasn't listed (that I could see at least). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

...Reaper's Power Palette?

Never heard of it. Sounds like an 80s cartoon about a superhero team of famous artists reincarnated as modern preteens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

Never heard of it. Sounds like an 80s cartoon about a superhero team of famous artists reincarnated as modern preteens.

Not quite that, but it's useful for a number of things. 

https://www.reapermini.com/powerpalette would be what... Aaaand ninja'd because I was trying to write too much on mobile and brew a coffee at the same time ::P:

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think Russ Grey maybe closer to the old Shadow Grey.  GW re-did their whole line and renamed all the paints after characters/races/regions from their fluff, as well as sort of set them up in triads. The Fang Is a base paint, Russ Gray is a layer paint, with Fenrisian Grey (close to old Space Wolf Grey) as another layer for highlighting.

• Thanks 1

Depending on how old your paints are you might find the equivalent color in the Coat D'Arms range. They used to make the paints for GW before they switched to the screw top lids in the 90's. I understand they still make the same paints but with new names and labels.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bloodhowl said:

I think Russ Grey maybe closer to the old Shadow Grey.  GW re-did their whole line and renamed all the paints after characters/races/regions from their fluff, as well as sort of set them up in triads. The Fang Is a base paint, Russ Gray is a layer paint, with Fenrisian Grey (close to old Space Wolf Grey) as another layer for highlighting.

Yet another reason why my dislike for GW and Citadel keeps growing. Bases, layers, highlights, fraggles, TPS reports...every day, it's becoming harder and harder to sort their stuff into the three categories of paint: Regular Actual Paint, Wash(aka liquid gold), and Nice Try You're Not Getting My Money.

The Power Palette Super Squad is indeed proving useful, thanks! It looks like my best bets on the Reaper end are either Twilight Blue or Ashen Blue.

10 hours ago, GHarris said:

Depending on how old your paints are you might find the equivalent color in the Coat D'Arms range. They used to make the paints for GW before they switched to the screw top lids in the 90's. I understand they still make the same paints but with new names and labels.

You have my attention. If you tell me they use actual pots as opposed to never-sufficiently-elfed dropper bottles, you might get written in for my firstborn, too...

• Like 3

Try Coat D'arms No. 150 - Shadow Grey.

I have all the CDA & new Citadel paints & I'd say this is the closest match. CDA's is lighter & a little less blue.

Edited by TheOldGuard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TheOldGuard said:

Try Coat D'arms No. 150 - Shadow Grey.

I have all the CDA & new Citadel paints & I'd say this is the closest match. CDA's is lighter & a little less blue.

....and it looks like they use pots! P3 style with fragile lids, but still...pots! My nondescript spacefuture spaceGermans will finally be complete!

• Like 4

On 3/7/2018 at 10:11 AM, Weird-O said:

....and it looks like they use pots! P3 style with fragile lids, but still...pots! My nondescript spacefuture spaceGermans will finally be complete!

If I recall correctly, Coat D'Arms made the original Citadel paints and still make the colours, even after they were no longer affiliated.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Weird-O said:

I wonder if they might be in possession of the fabled Fountain of Badab Black?

How different is it from Nuln Oil? I can't tell the difference. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:45 PM, Weird-O said:

I wonder if they might be in possession of the fabled Fountain of Badab Black?

What era is that paint from?  Coat D'Arms is mostly 90s-era Citadel with some new additions of their own.  The parent company makes CDA and P3, that's why the pots are the same.  Some of the colours may be somewhat altered from their original form.  I never used enough Citadel to be able to directly compare the two, but I have heard numerous people report certain colours are close but not exact.  It's a source of some irony to me that I bought Coat D'Arms specifically because I wanted old citadel-style paints, but I'm now much more familiar with Coat D'Arms itself than I ever was with the original paints that led me to buy in.  As a result, my memory of Citadel has been largely overwritten by my experience with Coat D'Arms.

So basically the long and short of it is that if Badab Black existed in the 90s era, it's possible Coat D'Arms has it or a near-analogue.   

Edit to add:  I didn't see any 90s-era bottles when I did an image search.  Basically the 90s era are either the same pots as Coat D'Arms or their near counterpart that looked exactly the same height and lid-wise but had a hexagonal bottle instead of round.  If it was in this era then it might exist.  If it's from the smaller pots starting around 2000 with the black screw lids or later then probably not (this was when Citadel switched manufacturers and HMG spun off Coat D'Arms as its own line). 

Also if it does exist then I don't know what it would be called.  I have Coat D'Arms Black Wash, but that's all it says.  It might be the same, might be totally different.  I have no way to tell. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 3