Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Rob Dean
I have had a little time to do some painting this week. While my main ongoing project has to do with filling out the orders of battle for my five-country fantasy campaign, my brother has been after me to get a Burrows and badgers war band ready by Christmas, when I next expect to see him again. As it happens, the Muse has been receptive to his entreaties, and the inspiration available to me this week was for Burrows and Badgers. I find that disrespecting the Muse is usually a bad idea, so here we are. These two are the otter ranger and the mole mercenary; I recently was working on some 40mm historical landsknechts, so he was in my comfort zone.
I know that Michael Lovejoy reads these forums, and he has commented that he likes to sculpt everything in one piece because he doesn't like assembling things. This is a position which I am 100% in agreement with, and that contributes to these figures being a real pleasure to paint. they also are fast to do. The mole mercenary turned out to be about a 45 minute job, so I could have done him as a speed painting contest (minus some paint mixing time I'd have needed for contest conditions.)
As soon as I finished these, I pulled out the next three I'd already primed and started on of them, and then rooted through the boxes from the two Kickstarters I'd backed. So, more to come...
This was a super fun fig to paint! I'm not really happy with the eyes, and I think I might go back and add a black eye or a bruise at some point. I think that would add some character, as well as cover up the mediocre job. Otherwise, I am really happy with the rest of him. Comments and critiques are welcome as always, thanks in advance!
I have finally started working on my many Bones minis. This first one is 773000 Antipaladin by Bobby Jackson. It is mostly an experimental/ practice piece. I am not completely happy with my mold line removal, but in this case I am not going to worry about it too much. Mostly it is to get me acquainted with working with Bones minis and to experiment with my new Scale 75 metallic paints. I am not happy with all of the photos, my old photo setup got broken and I haven't gotten it replaced yet and just as I was taking these pictures one of my light bulbs went out and I don't have a replacement. Should be able to get better pics once I get a new bulb.
First off I base coated the cape with Nightmare Black. This was a new paint purchase and I wanted to play with it. Really like this color.
Next I used Faded black to Undercoat the skulls on the armor. I'm planning to do these in a metallic steel. Used Tanned skin as a base coat on his head.
Next came Ultramarine Shadow for the armor undercoat. I really like this color for this as I am going to do the majority of the armor in a dark blue steel tone. The only down side is that the blue colors are fairly transparent and so take several coats to get good coverage.
Looks like I am having some chipping issues, but I think I have that issue solved. Hope to get some more work done on him soon if life doesn't make me do other things first
Who's Online 29 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Savage Coyote
- Al Capwn
- Jordan Peacock
- Green Eyed Monster