72moonglum

Grenadier Cleric, 2018 and yesteryear

I like how the robes are different in each version. ALso how one version looks better fed than the other.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dice4hire said:

I like how the robes are different in each version. ALso how one version looks better fed than the other.

That’s because his belly is highlighted better!

I quite like your idea for this thread.

Always enjoy seeing the older minis painted up and your comparison makes it even better.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Very nice! Out of curiosity, what sort of base is the older mini affixed to?

The older one is just glued to a little square of balsa wood that I painted over brown. That’s how I used to base all my minis back then. No idea why. 

For what Mirliton is charging for that KS, you can pretty much buy the original sets online, sometimes even still in the box...

• Like 1

Great comparison! The faces on both are so expressive in different ways. The new guy seems nice. The older fellow... reminds me of Gowron from TNG.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 5:40 PM, Mad Jack said:

For what Mirliton is charging for that KS, you can pretty much buy the original sets online, sometimes even still in the box...

Yeah, that's the great irony of it, it's cheaper and easier/quicker to buy the originals than to sign up for the Kickstarter.  

I really do want to support that Kickstarter, because I really am in favor of supporting old school minis, that's mostly what I paint and enjoy, but it just seems (at least to me) that you're not really getting anything out of it besides the miniatures at pretty much normal cost.  It has always seemed to me that Kickstarters I've either supported or wanted to support always gave you some kind of nice value in exchange for supporting them (Reaper being a very good example), but the Grenadier Kickstarter seems to fly in the face of that.  

They have already met their initial goals, so they will probably be producing what they've advertised and it will sooner or later be on their web site.  I'll just wait for things to come on retail.

Excellent paint job, you can certainly see how much you learned since way back when!:winkthumbs:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By aku-chan
      Presenting Sir George the Gangly (I'm sure that's a real word despite what my spellchecker says), not sure who makes him, I found George and a few other Chaos types in a box while I was tidying up.

Had a lot of fun painting him, although my camera didn't like taking piccys of so much metallic paint!

As always, any comments or criticisms are warming received.
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello all,
      here are some more Shadowrun figures that I've been working on.  Two excellent figures, probably sculpted back in the nineties by Dave Summers, two Shadowrun Dwarven Mercenaries.  As usual, so hard to decide upon colors, but I think they worked out reasonably well.

The first one is a delicate dwarven lady:

and her stalwart male companion:

First time I've ever painted modern weaponry, so hoping they turned out okay.  With choosing colors, in an effort to make my life a little bit easier, I gave them the same color overcoat, just painted different color detailing on them. 

I find that a nice change of genre is pretty fun, I'm enjoying painting something a little less fantasy and more sci-fi for a while. I'll hope to have more of these coming soon!

Enjoy!

• By Dan d'Lyon
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimandperilous/main-gauche-a-zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg-sup/description

I know there are plenty of RPG players on the board, and Zweihander just won ENnies for Best Game and Product of the Year at Gen Con.  I missed the first campaign, but strongly considering jumping in on this one.
    • By Nightwing
      This was another ina large collection of oldies that my high school friends gave me. Trying to make the scales look like garnets or rubies. Please critique!

• By 72moonglum
      So an EDIT:  I changed up the photos and added one more different view because I took them from a slightly lower angle

So it looks like Frost Giants are all the rage these days on the forums, so I'll add one more, eventually two.  I have been watching Patrick Keith's frost giant queen ever since she came out on the Bones Kickstarter and got her not too long ago, but didn't feel that I could actually start on her until I got some of my older frost giant pieces out of the way. The first two on the docket are John Dennett's classic Frost Giants from the Grenadier's Giant's Club, where each giant set came with the piece of a map and an obelisk. I'm not sure if after collecting all these you were able to send them in for something?

Anyhoos, here is the female frost giant, one of my all time favorite figures. I'm working still on the male frost giant who is a little more labor intensive, but I'll get him finished one of these days hopefully soon.

and some of the face's close ups because I think I took the farther away photos from a higher angle which didn't quite capture the face.

One thing I've found out especially towards the end of this project is that super glue and tight spaces really don't match and I managed to get the snow around and in a few places where it shouldn't be, including over the left hand's fingernails, which I took painstaking time and effort to make nice, only to get them covered by snow.

The snow I used came from some modeling snow I had bought years ago. Up until now I'd been using baking soda for my snow effect, but I worried a bit that over the time it might yellow (time will tell I guess) and it would not look so nice in a few years. 

In case anybody's interested, here’s the WIP I've been working with:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81156-grenadier-frost-giants/
      where you can also see ongoing process on the male as well.

Anyhows, I hope you all enjoy taking a gander as much as I enjoyed painting her!

• Who's Online   33 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)