Still not looking good for PF2 - number of playtesters still dropping, and number of people posting about it on the Paizo forums also dropping - though the number of posts is not dropping as much. (Fewer posters that are posting more often.)

General complaint - not fun.

Characters come across as less competent. More hardwired.

Mostly the complaints and replies are more polite than the 4e edition battles, but... if this is the version of PF2 that sees print, I am pretty sure the game is done. And some of the complaints sound a lot like complaints that were made about 4e.

The Auld Grump - I certainly have no urge to rejoin the playtest.

Whoops! I forgot my main point!

Folks that like PF1 should be hitting the myriad blowout sales! Don't get caught in the position of 3.5 fans during the 4e times. ::P:

There is a lot of good stuff being sold off cheap - Frog God Games being an enormous case in point.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

yup. Not really liking the way the playtest is going. Honestly I think Paizo may have to throw in the towel on this one, go back to the drawing board, and in a year or three come back with playtest 2.0 and see if that goes better. 

• Like 2

The big question is "Will they?"  Or will they barrel ahead and release it anyway? 

• Like 2

Probably that second one.

Then lament the loss of the first opportunity. Or blame us, the consumers, for not liking a broccoli product.

Edited by NebulousMissy
random e!
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Given their publishing window, and that retailers are already dumping PF1... they are pretty much stuck.

And, honestly, they kind of deserve it - they needed a much bigger amount of time - and a kill switch.

At a guess, Paizo creating PF2 has the same core reason as WotC creating 4e - panic.

And, like 4e, it will do the opposite of what the publisher desires.

Since I gave up on the playtest, I have not even bothered looking at Paizo's most recent PF1 releases. (Though that was also because Ultimate Wilderness was such a waste of time.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Sounds like it's going to be a case of "Farewell, Paizo. It was good while it lasted."

Although maybe, in a few years, they'll do the kind of restructuring that WotC did for D&D and we'll get something that's true to Pathfinder and doesn't rely on a 4 product a month release schedule.

• Like 2

I'm grumpy because this means that Frog God won't be doing any more PF1 product - and if we are right about the fate of PF2... no more Frog God Pathfinder. ::(:

Really, I have been absurdly happy with what Frog God has been releasing for Pathfinder.

The Auld Grump - The Blight and Razor Coast may be my favorite RPG settings of all time. They are awesome! (And absolutely nothing alike, otherwise.)

• Like 3

I wonder if Paizo does end up going down the 4e rabbit hole with PF2, if we would see another fork in the 3.5e > Pathfinder evolution from some company like Frog god.

• Like 1

I've been out of this conversation for a while, and out of gaming in general for even longer, but how much of Pathfinder's lunch has 5e eaten?  My observations would indicate a lot of people have switched over, but they are only casual observations and I'm not really in the scene enough to gather any decisive evidence.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Or blame us, the consumers, for not liking a broccoli product.

Is that a figure of speech or are you insulting broccoli?

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I'm grumpy because this means that Frog God won't be doing any more PF1 product - and if we are right about the fate of PF2... no more Frog God Pathfinder. ::(:

[Zoidberg voice]You still have 5E. You all have 5E!

8 minutes ago, Clearman said:

I've been out of this conversation for a while, and out of gaming in general for even longer, but how much of Pathfinder's lunch has 5e eaten?  My observations would indicate a lot of people have switched over, but they are only casual observations and I'm not really in the scene enough to gather any decisive evidence.

5E has boomed in popularity. It's selling in numbers they say they haven't seen since 2nd edition. Just this year, three years after release, the PHB topped Amazon's charts briefly.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Anecdote: about 80% or more of the games at ReaperCon this year were 5e.  My son (14) had a hard time finding enough PF games to play (he prefers PF).  He was not impressed by the PF2 play test, feeling that is was a 5e clone.

Given that Reaper is a Pazio Partner and makes their miniatures, I think that is rather telling. Sadly, as I really like PF1 and really really don't want to switch to either PF2 or 5e.  I think I'll go buy a new Core Rulebook while I still can; mine is falling apart.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

He was not impressed by the PF2 play test, feeling that is was a 5e clone. 

That's the first time I'm seeing that comparison drawn.:wacko:

• Like 1

Locally, 5e started slow - very slow - but has been picking up momentum.

The opposite of the sales pattern displayed by 4e, which peaked hard, early, then dropped like a rock. (Leaving a lot of unsold stock - which 3.5, Pathfinder, and 5e did not suffer, from the opening sales.)

But last year (I think?) the best selling item in B-A-M!'s RPG section was the hardcover for Curse of the Crimson Throne.

Beating even 5e's Player's Handbook.

But. given that 5e is really good about helping people update from previous editions, I cannot help but wonder how many of those hardcovers for CotCT were sold to 5e GMs. (A lesson that WotC learned the hard way from 4e - GMs want backwards compatibility, or at least a means to convert older material.)

In theory, I will be playing a 5e game... someday. (Not holding my breath - it was supposed to be a Christmas present to me.... <_< )

*EDIT* Honestly, I think that Paizo would have been better served with dual releases - PF1 and 5e - rather than PF2. Goodness knows, Frog God has shown that dual releases can work. (Or even triple releases, if you count Swords and Wizardry.)

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

I currently live in Central IL and Pathfinder is HUGE. It dominates the cons with 5e having a slight showing ( which thankfully is growing). They seem to be drinking the PF Koolaid by the gallon so I feel in certain areas it will have a strong hold.

From some of the more moderate PF players they are not a fan. The Playtest books are sitting uselessly on the store shelves bought only by the diehards ( who did so at Gencon).

• Like 1