I foresee staying with the current system.

If you don't like the new version BETTER then why switch?

Because changing what worked did so WELL for 4th edition.

Right now Grump can generate characters for me that I want to play.

Okay, maybe there IS a certain amount of system mastery needed. ::P:

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Haha 2

Section on spellcasting now up on the Paizo Blog.

Seems pretty familiar - instead of higher level spells that are incrementally better (Cure Light Wounds/Cure Serious Wounds/Etc.) you prepare the same spell in a higher level slot (so a Cure Light Wounds in a 2nd level spell slot is a Cure Serious Wounds).

Not horrible, seems workable - but not making up for my dislike of the ability score generation mentioned above. Holding steady at 4/10.

The Auld Grump - the current Pathfinder is 8/10.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Section on spellcasting now up on the Paizo Blog.

Seems pretty familiar - instead of higher level spells that are incrementally better (Cure Light Wounds/Cure Serious Wounds/Etc.) you prepare the same spell in a higher level slot (so a Cure Light Wounds in a 2nd level spell slot is a Cure Serious Wounds).

Not horrible, seems workable - but not making up for my dislike of the ability score generation mentioned above. Holding steady at 4/10.

The Auld Grump - the current Pathfinder is 8/10.

That's how D&D 5e handles it. Using the Cure Light Wounds example, in 5e it's just called Cure Wounds. Using a level 1, it's 1d8+spellcasting mod. For every level above 1, it adds 1d8. It cuts down on duplicate spell entries, and it's a good thing in my opinion. It helps limited spells known casters(like bards and rangers) by giving them more bang for their buck when choosing spells that have a "When cast at higher levels" section, and it works really well with the new method of spell prep which is "prepare X number of spells per day, you can use any of your spell slots to cast those spells so long as they're at least the minimum level slot" rather than the old "prepare every single spell slot as you expect you might need it" approach. So if you end up only needing a small heal, you aren't screwed because you prepared Cure Serious Wounds instead of Cure Light Wounds, you can just say "I use a 1st level slot to cast Cure Wounds." But if you need that big heal, you can still say "I cast Cure Wounds at 9th level" and roll that fistful of d8's.

So if that's how PF2 is going, that's a change I can get behind because I really like it in D&D 5e. Still with you on the stat generation, though.

• Like 5

Also not at all fond of the way they are getting rid of damage adjustment for size of weapons and their wielders - a large longsword should do more damage than a small longsword.  (And someone on the Paizo board tried to argue with me on that, using Bilbo and using the dagger Sting as a shortsword for an example, as opposed to being proof that Tolkien may have been a great writer, but didn't know much about weapons and their use.)

At this point, odds are very strong that I will be sticking with PF1, though I likely will use the Three Actions and a Reaction from Unchained.

On the flip side - this is a playtest, and if enough people make enough noise about ability score generation, Paizo may change their minds.

The Auld Grump - the spellchecker wanted to change 'wielder' into 'welder'....

• Like 2

only thing is those characters that they played had stats that  should be over what you could mod to.  You would not have 4 +2 mods to get to 18. And they had three stats in the 14 + range if my memory serves.

Article on the cleric up on the Paizo Blog - and it confirms that ability score increases are tied to class, with clerics getting +2 to Wisdom at first level.

And, with that, I can pretty much say that I am already done with Pathfinder 2.0. I do not want ability score increases hardwired to class.

The Auld Grump

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Article on the cleric up on the Paizo Blog - and it confirms that ability score increases are tied to class, with clerics getting +2 to Wisdom at first level.

And, with that, I can pretty much say that I am already done with Pathfinder 2.0. I do not want ability score increases hardwired to class.

The Auld Grump

What?! So you want foolish clerics?  :angry:

What's next:

• Ugly stuttering bards with B.O.?
  • Druids with seasonal and pet allergies?
  • Graceful delicate dwarf hippies?
  • Anorexic barbarian vegan half-orcs?
  • Gnomes that people take seriously?

Well... why not? ::P:

P.S. That party never survived their first night at the tavern. Total TPK. One of them choked on a carrot.

• Haha 4

Dangit Cranky Dog.... Now I want to roll a Vegan Barbarian Half-Orc who is a daily RockFitter, and is belligerent as possible.  Tenacity!  Tenacity needs a stat!

"ARE YOU ROCKFIT BRO?!?!?"

Edited by Grayfax

On 4/25/2018 at 10:05 AM, Grayfax said:

Dangit Cranky Dog.... Now I want to roll a Vegan Barbarian Half-Orc who is a daily RockFitter, and is belligerent as possible.  Tenacity!  Tenacity needs a stat!

"ARE YOU ROCKFIT BRO?!?!?"

"Was this ale brewed with isinglass? If it was, I can't drink it. I'm vegan"

Actually, I wonder how many vegans know what isinglass is. And I wonder how many vegans I could tick off by telling them...

• Haha 3

Actually pulls the meat out of the King's mouth and throws it out the window.  "Your Highness, I insist that your evening meal be Kale, Broccoli and Sprouts with this tangy Lemon Basil Vinaigrette.  You can pair it with a nice Mung Bean and Lentil Soup.  But this poor animal was mistreated in your keep and has suffered enough.  And I absolutely insist that this fur cape must go as well!"  While at the window throwing out the meat and the fur, does a set of 21 toes-to-sill before resuming...

Article on cleric Domains up on the Paizo Blog.

Cleric got thumped pretty good with the Nerf bat - Domain powers now count as casting spells. And no bonus spells for having a high Wisdom.

Kind of neutral about this change - clerics are pretty powerful, but I don't generally see players fighting over who gets to play the cleric in the party.

Holding steady at 4. (Vs. 8 for current Pathfinder.)

So far, the change that I have been happiest with was one that was already available in Pathfinder Unchained - I just hadn't put any thought into it until I looked at the new edition.

The Auld Grump - still, doing better with me than Vampire 5th Edition, which dropped from an 8 to a 3. (They use the task resolution system from nWoD - which was my least favorite part of NWoD!)

Yeah... looked at the changes for the paladin...

I'm done.

No P2 for the Grump.

Interest has gone from an 8 to a 4, and now down to a 3.5.

3 is one step above 4e.

I just don't see it getting to a point where I would want to play the version they are writing about.

The current edition remains an 8, so why in the 9 Hells would I want a worse game?

The Auld Grump *EDIT* There is no 10, but I do have a 1 - F.A.T.A.L.... with Spawn of Fashan as a strange outlier, beyond mere numeric classification. ::P: (I had hoped for a D20 version of Spawn of Fashan, back when the OGL was new and shiny.)

Edited by TheAuldGrump

Not sure I get the distaste, based on the blog post. Is it because there's currently only Lawful Good? Because I trust Paizo to be good on their word that other alignments are coming later on.

That said, the generic code does seem to kill non-Lawful Good paladins. Having "No evil" and "No hurting the innocent" as #1 and #2 seems antithetical to any evil Paladin, so you'd think that they would have included something about "evil paladins will, of course, have different codes."