Sign in to follow this  
Zink

Tech advice needed for i5 phone

Lots of people here seem to know something about everything so figured I'd ask. We're having a bit of wierdness involving my wife's phones (yes plural). She had an i5 and recently switched to a Galaxy s7. She still has the i5 but rarely looks at it because it's not supposedly not active. It is connected to our home wifi but nothing else. But when people send her texts sometimes the texts arrive on the i5 but not her s7. This is bad because she's missing important things at times. Any ideas what's going on and how to correct it?

If the i5 doesn't say 'No Service' at the top, it may still be connected to a service provider.  Quickest way to remove service is to take out the SIM card, but not sure if i5 had removable SIM.

Just checked and it shows no service and the sim card was removed when she switched phones.

Don't think so. I turned off the messenger app under settings but we haven't tested it yet to see if that fixed it. The strange part is that some texts go to each phone.

That would have been my next suggestion.  Otherwise I'm out of ideas.  ::(:

Wish I could help.

I have an iPhone 5 but as far as I'm aware it's magic and runs on pixies and fairies.

Sorry.

1 hour ago, pcktlnt said:

Is messenger app the same as imessage?

Not sure. 

1 hour ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Wish I could help.

I have an iPhone 5 but as far as I'm aware it's magic and runs on pixies and fairies.

Sorry.

Me too. Evil nasty pixies that just try to bleep with me. I don't have much trouble with android devices even though I rarely use them but this iphone angers me often. I don't know how to do much with it and have to help my wife when she can't figure things out. I find it very frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

Are the incoming texts being sent from Apple devices? If so, they may not be texts, and would not go to an Android device.

Actually I think they were. The last round was photos taken with an iphone. Not sure about other times.

• Like 1

The information I found on Google suggests to turn off imessenger in the settings. If that still fails, the next suggestion is to take the phones into the store you transferred to. They may have failed to complete the port.

• Like 1

It's Apple's iMessage. And it's all part of why Apple sucks as a company because they can't just use freaking standardized stuff like everyone else. There was actually a big hullabaloo about the iMessage stuff a few years back in tech circles specifically because of the issue your wife is having when it came to switching from an iPhone to an Android device.

I just wish I could find it now, because I can't remember off the top of my head what Apple's half-assed response to it was...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 1

I have a iPhone 5 myself and I can confirm that it would be iMessage. When traveling over seas it can be a very good tool. Pictures can sometimes take a good min to send over cell (if available) and with iMessage it went a lot faster close to a WiFi source.

My daughters phone is linked with my ID so I can monitor her (when sent to and from iDevices) until she is old enough that I won’t have to worry about her. 

If if it does bother you, it can be wiped to factory default. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jeepnewbie said:

Pictures can sometimes take a good min to send over cell (if available) and with iMessage it went a lot faster close to a WiFi source.

This is a good point.

@Zink, do you know if the texts that still arrive on the i5 are SMS or MMS messages?  SMS (old-timey text) messages would still need to be transferred by the service provider cell network, but MMS (pics, video, and sometimes just text depending on sender) messages can be transmitted over WiFI.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clearman said:

This is a good point.

@Zink, do you know if the texts that still arrive on the i5 are SMS or MMS messages?  SMS (old-timey text) messages would still need to be transferred by the service provider cell network, but MMS (pics, video, and sometimes just text depending on sender) messages can be transmitted over WiFI.

That I don't know because it would depend on who was sending it. But this is starting to make sense as to why it's happening. I'm hoping turning off the imessages fixed it. This would be even worse if she'd given the phone to somebody else or sold it.