CaesarAnto

decanting paints into dropper bottles (thinner? flow improver?)

image.png.ba369fcef20da1f581142de383b753e0.pngI've managed to transfer a few paints of mine from pots into dropper bottles. Problem is, a few of them were a bit thick so after shaking the bottle now they're sticking to the sides of it. (red paint bottle is actually half full). Is there any way to get back what is now adhering to the bottle? I've heard of thinners and flow improvers but I don't know what the difference between the two is in this case. At my hobby shop they sell the following products by Vallejo:

- Thinner medium 17ml/60ml

- Airbrush thinner 17ml/60ml

-  Airbrush Flow improver 17ml/60ml

What would be my best bet?

thank you

Distilled water.

The additives will drastically alter the behavior of the paint. Which may be what you want on the palette, but water will keep the paint, well, wet, in the bottle... Without changing it overmuch.

Just add a couple of drops, shake, see how you like it, repeat.

Also, before you start adding water, how long have you let the bottle sit? Does the paint seem to stay stuck to the sides after you shake? I have a lot of paints that do cling as your red is, there, but they don't usually dry while coating the sides. If the bottle is closed, the paint on the sides should still be pretty viable.

• Like 4

the original pots were sealed, I decanted them right after opening them (though some of them are several years old, Foundation-era Citadel paints)

I have a bottle of demineralised water at home, do you think it would have the same effect as distilled?

thank you

I Am Not A Chemist, but I believe demineralised water should also do the trick. My understanding is that demineralising actually removes more impurities than distillation, so it's even more chemically nonreactive.

I bought a bottle of purple from GW, and I put it in a dropper bottle I had laying around. I eventually added in some water/flow improver mix that I keep around to get it to act the way I wanted it to, but I can't recommend that, because you may want your paints to act differently. 

• Like 1

I always put my paint pots (mainly P3) into dropper bottles and use distilled water. Long time ago I tired a thinner but the thinner usually seperates and goes to the top, pain in the butt and didn't like how it than performed so now always use water.

tried out demineralized water. I added a few drops, gave it a good shake with a glass agitator but the coating on the sides doesn't seem to budge :/ not that it's a big deal (I got these paints for 1€ a pot), still it's a bit annoying. I don't know if it's a matter of quantity, I don't want to risk adding too much water

I wouldn't worry about the stain, your bottle of paint probably gonna last you a few years and I've found once I used a bottle for that paint I'd never try and re-use it once paint is gone just buy a new empty bottle.

• Like 2