• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SGHawkins09
      The official arrival/departure thread for Round 2 of the Basing Edition of the Box of Goodwill.

PLEASE make sure to post when you receive the box and when you send it off.

Remember, NO CHATTER, chatter thread is here:

Box of Goodwill, Basing Edition Round 2 - Chatter Thread

SGHawkins09 - sent 2/16
      Keianna - arrived 2/20, sent 2/27
      Sylverthorne - arrived 3/1, sent 3/9
      NecroMancer - arrived 3/12, sent 3/15
      hungerfan - arrived 3/18, sent 3/23
      Ulfheathen - arrived 3/26, sent 4/2
      Aryanun - arrived 4/4, 
      hiddenone32 - new box arrived 6/11, sent 6/15
      Clearman - arrived 6/18
      Guildenstern - arrived 6/27, sent 7/2
      Shadowphaze - arrived 7/5, sent 7/9
      Generic Fighter - arrived 7/11
      Dilvish the Deliverer - arrived 8/8

Dilvish the Deliverer - sent 2/26
      Wyvernfire - arrived 2/27, sent 3/10
      Chaoswolf - arrived 3/12, sent 3/26
      Knarthex - arrived 3/28, sent 4/13
      Paradoxical Mouse - arrived 4/16
      Dragoneye - arrived 8/8, sent ReaperCon
      Kangaroorex - arrived ReaperCon, sent 9/18
      Fire_Eyes - arrived 9/20
      Keianna
      Pegazus
      SparrowMarie
      LittleBluberry
      SGHawkins09

Only two groups this time and they are fairly large so make sure to keep the boxes moving. Also you may notice Keianna is listed in both groups, this is intentional as she did not receive a box last time.
    • By Jordan Peacock
      Okay, so this isn't so much a "conversion" as it is an "appropriation."  I had #77470 "Elthin Bluesteel, Gunslinger" (Pathfinder Bones) in my box o' Kickstarter Bones, while I was digging through to find anything that might even remotely look appropriate for a "Wild West" scenario.  Sure, he's got some crazy boots, a big ol' dagger, and some sort of leather armor layered thing going on with his torso area, but he's got a gun, a cowboy hat, and a drape to one side that feels kind of Eastwood-ish to me. 

He also suffers from a wee bit of "melty face," as there's next-to-no definition to that face, and I'm still not even sure where the eyes were supposed to be, exactly.  In my case, though, that only inspired me to notice that the details for his leather armor, etc., were so shallow that most of the parts incongruous to a cowboy gunslinger could probably just be painted over.  He's not going to win any contests, but looks passable as another pistol-toting gunslinger in just another ordinary western town.  (In this case, it would be the Flats outside quasi-historic Fort Griffin, as interpreted by Dog House Rules LLC in their "Frontier Towns: Fort Griffin" supplement.  I based the scratch-built building off of a floor plan by Karl Keesler, and it's the central piece to a mini-adventure pulled from the book.)

Anyway, I just think there's something ... amusing? ... about when I can delve into Reaper's regular fantasy line and find something that would work perfectly well for other genres.  For some subjects, there's nothing terribly special about it: A fox is a fox, a bird is a bird, a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, and it's not the least bit surprising that a pack of little animal familiars in the fantasy line would work just as well as pets for a modern or historic or even sci-fi setting (we just pretend that they're REPLICANT animals, or we paint them in funky colors).  Plus, there are a number of D&D-ish monsters that bear no resemblance to anything recognizable from well-known myths and such -- and the only reason we think of them as "fantasy" was because Gary Gygax found a bunch of cheap plastic imported Kaiju toys and transformed them into "owlbears" and "rust monsters" and so forth for D&D, and "D&D is fantasy," so that's that.

Still, somehow there's something "neat" about digging through a big box o' Kickstarter Bones, picking up some barbarian model, and realizing that if only I swap his bendy axe with a spare 40K POWER AXE, and paint up his armor plates to look like scrap metal (maybe with some paper-printed license plates and stop signs glued on), he'd make a GREAT post-apocalyptic raider type, etc.  Or, some beast-man monster type could just as easily be some sort of pulp-universe alien, if only I paint up his armor a little differently and stick a ray-gun in his hand.  And one of these days I'm going to turn that Mantis Assassin into a Kamen Rider.  ;)

Oh yeah, and as for the building: That's scratch-built from foam-core, cardstock (for raised details such as window and door frames), mat board, craft sticks, chopsticks (for the porch pillars), and wire, decorated with some Hirst Arts Castlemolds castings (for the porch furniture).
    • By LittleBluberry
      From the Kickstarter page:
      The Basius Max collection is a DOUBLE SIDED series of large solid purple resin pads, full of jaw-dropping hand-sculpted negatively recessed texture

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/984996675/basius-max?ref=friends_launched

Basius stamps are one of the most talked about hobby tools that I've never tried, mainly because they never seem to make it to retail.  This time I'm not letting frugality get in the way of awesome bases!  
    • By Rat13
      I've made no secret about my opinions on Games Workshop. Though my painting box is full of their miniatures they were always bought second and sometimes third hand (I never wanted GW to get any of my money). Even my previous Cadians were bought from my local games store that has no affiliation with GW (I also know those sets and blisters came with the business when it was bought almost twenty years ago). Now I find myself in the unique position of building a Cadian army.

My wife and I used to play weekly in D&D Adventure League but with the birth of our first child it looks like that won't be possible (We want to continue gaming at our current store but its a bit of drive and the kid is at the rolling stage so she doesn't want to be held or sit in her seat; she wants to be on the floor and we all know what gameshop floors are like). I've offered to watch the child so she can go or to switch off each week but she only wants to go together. Gaming together has always been part of our relationship, and she doesn't want to lose that. I couldn't agree more, its good to share a hobby with your spouse.

That's when our friends started trying to recruit us to play Warhammer 40K with them. At first I was resistant but our friends get together often to play and in our area its always possible to find a game (Depending on the size it can be played fairly quickly in comparison to D&D too). After some discussion we decided 40K would give me something to paint, but it would also give us both something to play and eventually something to play together.

Which brings us to this new project. Since I figured watching me assemble miniatures would be pretty boring I'm starting this thread right before I prime them. So here is most of my assembled starter set (I've got quite a few cheap sets of bits arriving over the next couple weeks and I'm not exactly sure what unit I'd like to create next so that's why I have so many unfinished figures).

I'm still not a big fan of GW but having an excuse to see our friends more often is pretty nice. In a way we're kinda trading one gaming group for another (that sounds pretty mean but I think you understand what I'm saying).
    • By tombwalker
      One of my newer pieces.  Been having a play with a couple of corrugating tools and a baked bean tin.  Really enjoy making these things,  just need a bigger house to store them in.

• Who's Online   26 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)