• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/games06/easy-dungeon-seamless-magnetic-dungeon-tiles?ref=discovery

About
      The Easy Dungeon is designed to make the gaming experience realistic, fun and engaging without having to spend a lot of money to do it. All this while keeping faith with the fundamental principle of role playing: never knowing what will be a few steps ahead! With the Easy Dungeon system you can build corridors, alleys, rooms progressively as the DM unravels the adventure.
      Here follows the pledges and the add-ons you can select. If unlocked, you'll also receive all the free stretch goals related to the pledge you choose.

• By Thrym
      It's the holidays, so I present to you ...
      The Day of the Dead Fairy Tavern
      "Zapata's Skull & Rose"

Okay, it's hokey, but my daughter enjoys the masks and such from the Day of the Dead and as I was trying out my homemade paper clay, I started to shape the fairy garden house.  When I placed the windows where they ended up, they reminded me of a cockeyed skull and the idea was born.

The List

Das Air Dry Clay
      Two Plastic Bottles of different size with the bottoms cut off.
      Glue Gun and Hot Glue
      Aluminum Foil
      Painters or Masking Tape
      Cardboard for the base
      Extra Plastic from Product Packaging
      Homemade Paper Clay

Construction

First off, if you haven't had the chance and want to do something like this ... I do plan to make terrain, etc. using these components ... I suggest Creative Mom's YouTube channel.  Yes, it's all Fairy Homes and such but she does a damn good job on construction and design using the above components.  They are lightweight and durable and hold a solid edge if you want to use any of those cool terrain stamps many of us bought into or a mold.

I hot glued the two bottles together so the cut ends are flush. I used a lot of glue to ensure that they were together solidly.  Then after measuring a terracotta pot against the cardboard round from a frozen pizza, I glued the bottles to the cardboard.  I wanted to ensure that there was space to glue the base to the pot's rim but not have the building flush to the edge.

I then glued some aluminum foil to the bottles to form some shapes.  The "hat" was planned all along but it's going to be a sombrero now.  So I glued a ring of foil around the bottle top and then added foil over the ring and flattened the edges.  To strengthen the form and blend the bottleneck out a bit I used the painters' tape around the brim and across the back where the "smokestack" comes up.

To help bridge in between the two bottles a bit more I added a rope of foil from the front to the back in an arc and glued it down.   Then I added more foil atop the cap of the second bottle to make it taller like and then used more foil and painters' tape to make it more of a long neck bottle.  I glued a rectangle of packaging to the front as a box window.

With everything constructed, I spackled the shape with the Homemade Paper Clay.  The reason I used the Homemade Paper Clay first is that I used recycled shredded paper instead of toilet paper to make the clay so it's very, lumpy.

The initial skinning of Homemade Paper Clay.

The Stucco

From here I wanted to apply a smoother surface for the finished product and wanted to add some sculpting.  So instead of using a finer Homemade Paper Clay, I went for my Das Air Dry Clay.  I created the skull face first.

Then tonight I skinned the "bottle" side of the tavern adding a petal edge to the front and back around the neck and blocking out the window.

What's Next?

Well, I have to finish the back of the skull side and then the sombrero.  I have three Day of the Dead skull buttons I am going to embed in the sombrero per fairly common costumes.

I'll also add a bunch of details to the building and naturally, I will do my usual work on the ground.  There are a lot of skulls that show a thin mustache for male ones, so I think I might make a series of boards tacked up to make a thin mustache to frame the doorway.

This is a vector skull I manipulated to sort of match my quazy skull face.  I am thinking of doing it black on white like this.

As usual, thoughts and comments are welcome.

Enjoy and Stay Tuned!

• By SparrowMarie
      So I'm going to be making a diorama for a friend soon. I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to do but no idea how to go about it. I've never worked with cork before and am going to be using quite a bit of it. I want to pour water effects(?) into it but don't want the cork to soak it up. My questions are (photos to be added below for reference):

How do I seal the cork so it won't absorb the resin water effects? Do I need to seal the wood I am basing it on as well? If so what is the best way to do that? What is the best glue to put the cork on the wood, sealed or not?  
      ETA: 
      How do I fix the small hairline cracks in the cork (not sure if they're visible in the picture)? Kind of related but what is the best glue for plastic to wood (I'm going to be putting the wood on top of a painted Tropicana lid)?  

• By Pingo
      These are a bit of resin terrain from Ainsty Castings in the UK, Fire Hydrant x2 Different Based, SKU 8205.

They were really simple to paint. The gravel is molded on.

They might be a smidgen oversized. Here's a scale shot with a figure:

• By lexomatic
      I got some backup cat dishes at IKEA for a couple of bucks. They came with free foam pucks that would normally cost a few dollars on their own at a place like Michael's

• Who's Online   31 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)