Sign in to follow this  
DocPiske

Kickstarter alert from LifeLock

I just received an alert from LifeLock that information about my Kickstarter account from Kickstarter's website was found being sold on the dark web. I'm going to immediately change my KS password and closely watch the associated credit card account. I suggest others do the same.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I suggest you also enable two-factor authentication and keep an eye on your activity log to verify it's just your devices accessing the service.

• Like 5

If you're keeping your credit card in Kickstarter's database, you may wish to remove it and only enter it when you need to pay for something.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Serenity said:

If you're keeping your credit card in Kickstarter's database, you may wish to remove it and only enter it when you need to pay for something.  

I had forgot to do this. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I suggest you also enable two-factor authentication and keep an eye on your activity log to verify it's just your devices accessing the service.

Was not aware that KS had two-factor.  Great.

• Like 4

There is a fairly high chance that the issue is on your personal computer rather than on Kickstarter's side. Changing passwords is a good thing to do, but it doesn't help if the malware just send out the new password when you change it. I recommend running scans on your computer using software from more than one company. It's not uncommon for a malware scan form one company to find something that a virus scan from another company misses and vise versa. 

• Like 3

I run scans on my computer from 3 reputable companies (not all running at once, of course).

The information from LifeLock states that a breach occurred on Kickstarter's site back in 2014 but was only just reported.

So no, it was not my computer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

LifeLock is a credit monitoring service (for which I pay a monthly fee) that actively searches for members email, SSN, phone number, address and other personal data on websites and the credit reporting agencies.

• Like 3

I know that I received a notification from Kickstarter in Feb 2014 advising of a security breach then...so not sure if this is the same breach. In which case I'm pretty sure Kickstarter was using Amazon payments at the time of the breach...

• Like 3

For what it's worth, I received a notification from Kickstarter on February 15, 2014 regarding a security breach.  (I found the email.)  They claimed no credit card data was stolen but they did say information including usernames, email addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and encrypted passwords was accessed.  (It's unclear from the wording if this affected all users or just a subset.)

It's possible there was a separate issue in 2014 that we weren't told about but I believe that's unlikely, unless it's been ongoing up until relatively recently.

That said, if you haven't changed your password recently, consider changing it.  Similarly, if you're not using two-factor authentication, look into using it.  (I missed the announcement when that was enabled, myself.)

• Like 2

Luckily for me (?!?), the last two cards I had on file with Kickstarter were already stolen and replaced once or twice each.