Sign in to follow this  
CaesarAnto

using airbrush primers as brush-on?

image.png.f763d08b3833a7648b056e9bae8f07f8.png

looking for a brush-on white primer I've found this product at my local hobby shop. It seems to be meant for airbrushing (of which I know absolutely nothing), but since it comes pretty cheap (roughly 2$/oz) I thought I might give it a try. So, are airbrush primers suitable to be brushed on as well? Are they too thin? My only alternative is Army Painter's brush-on grey primer, but since I'm doing mostly reds I feel more comfortable with something white

Vallejo airbrush primers are made to sprayed or brushed on, so you should be good to go. Are you priming metal or Bones? Bones take a bit more vs metal so keep that in mind.

• Like 1

I'm actually repainting an old GW army of mine, so apart from metal it's also plastic, hope there aren't any contraindications with that. I've just found this link [link removed] where they give a thorough description. They  also mention sanding, is that something that needs to be done only when airbrushing? thank you

Edited by OneBoot
Removed commerce link

You might sand, then add another coat of primer, depending on your material and application, but generally for miniatures you can ignore that.

I don't personally know anybody who actually puts a coat of primer on an ork, then sands, then coats again as some of these manufacturers recommend. That's really something I reserve for automotive repair and some woodworking.

• Like 4

On 3/10/2018 at 8:09 PM, SparrowMarie said:

I use this as a brush on. Pretty easy to find on Amazon. It is white despite the picture quality.

hi, are you referring to the product I posted? (I may be missing some links/photos) in case you're using that, do you have any problems when priming metal in terms of adherence? I've read somewhere that polyurethane primers tend to chip off (I'm already using Vallejo's Game Color White brush-on Primer and I'm not too happy with, it tends to rub off pretty easily)

thank you

28 minutes ago, CaesarAnto said:

hi, are you referring to the product I posted? (I may be missing some links/photos) in case you're using that, do you have any problems when priming metal in terms of adherence? I've read somewhere that polyurethane primers tend to chip off (I'm already using Vallejo's Game Color White brush-on Primer and I'm not too happy with, it tends to rub off pretty easily)

thank you

They may have changed the packaging so it might be a similar if not the same thing. This isn't the Game Color line. It's thin but works well and I haven't had any issues with chipping or it being rubbed off if the model is cleaned beforehand. 

• Like 1