Any tips on how to do either/both of these? I'm getting ready to do my mock up for Ma'al and I'm not really sure how to approach it. I've done black before so I have a little bit of an idea of how to go about it but for white I've no idea. I'm tempted to buy like all the greys/blacks/whites that reaper has and go at it that way but I'm thinking it might be more cost effective to buy the Scale 75 black and white paint set. Maybe. 

So tips, tricks, paint recommendations? All of the above?

Um. When I do grisaille I paint with Carbon Black and Titanium White and mix all shades of grey myself.

It's one of the easiest, most painless ways to get practice in color mixing since all you have to worry about is value.

If I am feeling really wild, I will add some Burnt Umber into the mix for warmer tones.

• Like 2

For black, I like using slightly-non-blacks for shading. My favorite so far is Pure Black, Nightshade Purple, Dark Elf Triad, then peak highlight a wee bit with Dark Elf Highlight + wee bit Ghost White. It is obviously not pure gray-scale, but I enjoy the effect. 

I'm gearing up to do some white painting too, and this is what I've been studying. http://powellminipainting.blogspot.com/p/painting-white.html

Had brief practice on a tiny thing. I used a generic gray, leather white, and pure white otherwise. 

• Thanks 2

For white there are three basic ways that you can go.  The first is a neutral white that is shaded with neutral greys.  Pingo's suggestion is a good one, but if you already own Reaper paints then you can just use the ones D. Powell mentions in his tutorial.  The second is a warm white that is often shaded with khakis/browns.  You'll often see this used on animals or fabric that is being worn outdoors (i.e. can get dirty).  Once again Powell has several examples of this using Reaper paint.  The third way you often seen minis painted is with a cool white which is usually used for pure cloth, snow, or other cold things.  A google image search for snow will show you just how blue snow can get under the right lighting conditions.

I dug up the old Dr. Faust vid which will give you an idea of how cool white works.  He always paints dark to light, so you can save a whole bunch of layering by priming white.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TheOldGuard
      Hi All!
      I've just been rearranging my display shelves & have noticed that I actually have a few minis that I have never shown on these boards. They are the first ones that I painted a few years ago when I returned to the hobby after many, many years. I will show the others soon but to begin with, here's GW's Gandalf The White & Shadowfax.
      The actual paint job is essentialy me getting back in the swing of things by copying the image on the miniatures' packaging, I made the base terrain(s) using air drying clay, gravel & sand & added some grass clumps to finish.
      Gandalf on foot

Gandalf mounted on Shadowfax

Back soon with something "big, ferocious & wingy" - thanks for looking!
    • By wdmartin
      After two months of work, he is done!  I give you ... Narthrax the White.

If that's not enough for you, there are a hundred and forty eight more pictures in the WIP thread, documenting his development in excruciating detail.
      On a side note, as I made the final adjustments and took the photos, I finished watching the climactic episode of Critical Role.  And it was awesome.
    • By Mehman
      Right then, here's another question about the Reaper paint line. The last question was two months ago but I still feel like I'm bugging everyone. Anyway, I've decided to finally take the plunge and do some serious paint ordering for my solo game miniatures. Before I order at the end of the month (to get that Diva model for nothing), there seems to be a hiccup: there are a few different black paints in the line.
      I'm looking for a black to basecoat... black, funnily enough. There's Pure Black, Dragon Black, Noir Black, Nightmare Black, etc. Which of these (and the others not listed) would be closest to Citadel's Abaddon Black? Some of the blacks have a blue hue, brown hue, or whatever for different looks, but it's hard to tell from the sample mockups which ones have those hues and which don't. If anyone could break those down for me, I'd be grateful.
    • By Pingo
      This is a figure from the Goth set from the game "Wild in the Streets" by Slow Death Games.  Thanks to FishNJeeps for directing me to them when I needed miniatures of modern people in goth-punk wear for a World of Darkness game.
      I painted up the figure as a vampire.  It didn't originally have any facial hair; that's all painted on.
      There isn't a WIP thread.  So as a quick note, although I have seen people able to do wonderfully subtle and menacing vampires who still look like vampires, I find that unless I paint mine in stark black and white they look like regular people.

• By Neoteuthis
      I was wondering what kind of alloy the figures are made of. I want to have one coated in vantablack, but I don't know if they can withstand 300° temperatures unscathed. For those who don't know, this coating reflects virtually all light and makes anything appear 2D. Perfect for making shadow minis if this works.
  • Who's Online   39 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)