Maredudd

Warg 77202, for feedback

Hi Folks!

I’ve been collecting minis for a few years but have actually painted very few. I’m changing that, primarily by hosting a painting day for my D&D group, and hope to put a dent in my collection of 20 minis. I am also very interested in feedback on my painting. To that end, here is the second piece I am looking for feedback on. (The first was a CAV:SO model)

Warg1c.thumb.jpg.1ff6e15ab82d170e0936aa6db61af4a2.jpgWarg2a.thumb.jpg.cab25207b1d1ce398141a7a12b288dda.jpgWarg3a.thumb.jpg.a7c7c1c20ce8eb1eae737d6274703dee.jpgWarg4a.thumb.jpg.66e559740728cfb0dd9d0be8ef76c5f9.jpg

Edited by Maredudd
Pics too large.
  • Like 12

Just realized these pics are too large. I’ll optimize them and reload them.

Needs more contrast. I would also say throw in some glazes of browns and other colors to add interest. The teeth need a dark wash to bring out the details, and the eyes could use a white reflection dot.

Please remember the above is just feedback, take what you want and leave the rest depending on how detailed you are wanting to get your minis. For a quick, get it on the table paint job it is good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humansquish said:

Needs more contrast. I would also say throw in some glazes of browns and other colors to add interest. The teeth need a dark wash to bring out the details, and the eyes could use a white reflection dot.

Please remember the above is just feedback, take what you want and leave the rest depending on how detailed you are wanting to get your minis. For a quick, get it on the table paint job it is good.

Thank you for the input!  I knew the coloring was rather simple but it served to help me with some basic technique work. I’ve got several additional worg models and will add more color for the next piece.

I gotta say too that, as happy as I was to see the finished piece, once I took the pics a ton of sloppy strokes jumped out at me. 

I have this mini too and I really like him cause hes so fierce looking. I like the lighter gray dry brushing on the top of him, it really makes him looks like his hackles (sp?) are up. 

You could dry brush a lighter green on the base to make it stand out a little more. I'm a total newbie painter myself here so take that with a grain of salt!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TheMandolin said:

I have this mini too and I really like him cause hes so fierce looking. I like the lighter gray dry brushing on the top of him, it really makes him looks like his hackles (sp?) are up. 

You could dry brush a lighter green on the base to make it stand out a little more. I'm a total newbie painter myself here so take that with a grain of salt!

Though I've owned Reaper Paints for years, I'me still a newbie as well, and it never dawned on me to dry-brush lighter green on the base. Good idea! Thanks!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maredudd said:

Thank you for the input!  I knew the coloring was rather simple but it served to help me with some basic technique work. I’ve got several additional worg models and will add more color for the next piece.

I gotta say too that, as happy as I was to see the finished piece, once I took the pics a ton of sloppy strokes jumped out at me. 

Thats always the case, I start thinking I am done with a project and go to photograph it and notice a stray splotch of paint or a missed detail. I like the color scheme of this guy he definitely reads as evil wolf. I agree with earlier posts that maybe a quick black wash on the teeth will make them "pop" and maybe instead of all white paint them ivory or off white and then highlight up to the tiniest touch of white on the outer most surfaces. This usually means a tiny brush heh

• Like 1

Yeah, I've got the ivory triad in the shopping cart right now. I thought I had some bone colors but couldn't find it. It's possible that I've misplaced a box of paints somewhere, but I can always get more. Thanks for the feedback!

One of the things I find most helpful when I am painting creatures is to google for a few example images. It helps me visualize appropriate colors and placement for the look I want. Obviously this works best if you prefer more realistic coloring in your minis. 

• Like 1

I did that with this piece, as well as with the Dire Bear I also posted a thread for. I feel pretty good about this one, despite the sloppy parts, but still plan to go back and try to fix a few things, and maybe add, but I also have several other warg figures and will be working to extend my 'technique'. Oh, and I do prefer a more realistic coloring. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maredudd said:

Just realized these pics are too large. I’ll optimize them and reload them.

Didn't see the originals, but your optimized pics have plenty of detail!

Are you using a magnifier?  It helps me catch more of my mistakes without having to take pictures to catch them, though pictures almost always show something I missed or messed up.

• Like 1

Very nice!

BONUS POINTS for painting a WOLF!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Didn't see the originals, but your optimized pics have plenty of detail!

Are you using a magnifier?  It helps me catch more of my mistakes without having to take pictures to catch them, though pictures almost always show something I missed or messed up.

I have a desk mounted magnifying light that apparently totally screws with my hand-eye-coordination . . . What hand-eye-coordination I have that is . . . ::P:

Nice job! 

I agree with @Humansquish that this warg needs more contrast. I would suggest that the grey you used to brighten his spine and hackles should be drybrushed down along his flanks, and a brighter grey should be drybrushed over the spine and hackles. This way, your darkest black/grey would be pretty pure on his underbelly, show through as an underfur along his flanks, and you would have some brighter highlights on the top.

I also like the idea of using a bit more color in the highlights and shadows, it would make the black a little less "flat."

I really like the red in his eyes. On the next one, you can brighten that red by first painting the eye white, then putting the red in. Since red is pretty transparent, the undercoat will really change its character.

The important thing in all this is that you're painting! Take what you learned on this guy and apply it to the next... I'm looking forward to seeing it!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sanael said:

Nice job! 

I agree with @Humansquish that this warg needs more contrast. I would suggest that the grey you used to brighten his spine and hackles should be drybrushed down along his flanks, and a brighter grey should be drybrushed over the spine and hackles. This way, your darkest black/grey would be pretty pure on his underbelly, show through as an underfur along his flanks, and you would have some brighter highlights on the top.

I also like the idea of using a bit more color in the highlights and shadows, it would make the black a little less "flat."

I really like the red in his eyes. On the next one, you can brighten that red by first painting the eye white, then putting the red in. Since red is pretty transparent, the undercoat will really change its character.

The important thing in all this is that you're painting! Take what you learned on this guy and apply it to the next... I'm looking forward to seeing it!

For this piece I used the Grey Liner, with Flow Improver, to prime and then put down a base of Reaper's Storm Grey. At first I used one of the silver colors (Can't remember which and don't have my notes here.) [to dry-brush] but didn't like it so I tried one of the lighter grays. (I have the gray triad) That worked much better, but I may have gone too light on the brushing. 

So what I'm getting out of this is I need to do a better job of dry brushing . . . ::P:

I started out with white for the eyes but messed them up good. My hand-eye coordination isn't very good and I ended up painting outside the eye ball. (Funny, they almost didn't let me into 1st grade because I couldn't color in the lines . . . Things never change. :B): ) My wife volunteered to fix it for me but as she was busy, I did some other stuff, on the Dire Bear at that point, and then went back to the Warg/Dire Wolf and just took my everloving time with the red. I still had to do some retouch around the eyes to cover some slop though. 

I'll be trying again, only I'll do a better job with color selection. And take my time . . . 

Edited by Maredudd
Realized I dropped some text in the original post. Fixed now.
  • Like 4