Goddesstio

77343 - Goroloth: An experiment in blending

So... I got into D&D last year because of my husband. I liked it, but I really like painting the minis for our campaign. I used to paint as a kid; I'd go every weekend with my grandmother and we'd paint ceramic figures (think lawn gnomes) while my mom worked. So when I got into dnd and started painting, I had fun and have since painted a ton of stuff. Now I've got some skills but one of the new things I wanted to try was blending. I've never done anything like it, and when my husband got me a Goroloth I decided he would be my experiment piece.

I'm not good at choosing my own color schemes, so I looked up some stock images and found this:

rQuL8aNl.jpg

And that's where I decided to start from.
I based him in a darker purple and blue

QmFWYgvb.jpg

And then things went downhill

4vvrNRQ.jpg

I added a light mix of pink and purple, but even though I don't want there to be too much dark purple left - mostly around the edges - the lines look too solid to me. I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong. Did I not thin it enough?

I tried to go back and wet blend in some of the original purple base to soften the edges but mostly I don't think it worked.

errxAHYl.jpg

RxBMIcll.jpg

I do like his tentacles though. Those mostly worked

1PdO4lLl.jpg

If anyone has any idea how to salvage him please let me know, otherwise I'm wondering if it wouldn't be too much to repaint him in the base purple and start over or if I should just put him on the shame shelf and buy a new one to try again

Edit: Sorry I have no idea how pictures work either. 

Edited by Goddesstio
Pictures didn't work
  • Like 11

Heyo! I'd be glad to give pointers.... but none of the photos are viewable/none of the links are clickable. Fix that up and you'll have plenty of helpers! 

13 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Heyo! I'd be glad to give pointers.... but none of the photos are viewable/none of the links are clickable. Fix that up and you'll have plenty of helpers! 

Yeah the formatting didn't work the way I thought it would...  :blush:  Seems fixed to me now

• Like 1

Your kraken is totally salvageable. I think that what is getting you is probably patience, more than trouble with thinness of the paint. You want to go from a dark blueish purple to a light pinkish purple, yeah? Try making a spectrum on your palette, from the dark end to the light end. Keep doing thin (by thin we mean diluted with water) layers from the dark, to the light. It will take time to build up the colors. Right now you do have a sharp transition - just keep working finer and finer color transitions until is smooths out. Nothing is *wrong* with the sharp transition, it is merely incomplete ^_^

I'd highly recommend watching Kuro Cleanbrushes's Youtube videos on glazing and Nonmetallic metals. You don't need to do NMM, but the methods will be similar to what you want to do - build up thin layers for a color transition. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So in the end I went back and based out the areas I had already tried blending for a variety of reasons, one of the main being I didn't have a wet palette and so the colors would be really hard to try and reproduce. So I started over with new colors and a wet palette. 

uhdvRBNl.jpg

JTGT58pl.jpg

zAm4Y4Yl.jpg

He looks... Better, at least. Not sure if he's what I'd like but he doesn't look quite as harsh as he used to.

Next up I'm going to try blending blue out on his fins...

• Like 12

So I went in and started on his fins

My first go was way too defined

qA7bicTl.jpg

7t2Ht0rl.jpg

So I went back, thinned the paint more, and tried what ended up closer to a 2 brush blending

5Hbd0sMl.jpg

yDjYG7Fl.jpg

I think it definitely helped, although it could also still be a lot smoother.

97ExL45l.jpg

mRcZ2etl.jpg

He's starting to look better, I think

Still looking for tips!

• Like 15

You are on your way to great blending! Sometimes it does help to start with more defined areas, like your first fins picture. Then you can work at the boundaries of the colors and keep refining it (which it seems like you've done). I am not a fan of two-brush blending really; I find it unwieldy. Others really like it. I also am at a disadvantage for two-brush blending and wet blending due to a dry climate, so I'm more prone to doing glazes. I think I've succeeded at wet blending only a few times, and that's when I was really on a roll moving paint swiftly, lol. 

Once you have the blending where you like it, are you considering any freehand pattern? The initial octopus has spots and speckles and whatnot - you could try to replicate some of that sort of thing later. Thinned paints will be key! 

• Like 3

I really like your purple to pink blends. I definitely think you are on the right track and using a wet palette is going to help you.

Two things you might want to try.

First, we'll use your blues for examples. It looks like you have 4 blues for your fins. I would mix a half step in between the two. Example: You have Dark Blue, Medium Blue, Medium Light and Light Blue. Do a mid blend with each so you end up with Dark Blue - DarkBleu/Medium Blue - Medium Blue - Medium Blue/Medium Light - Medium Light - Medium Light/Light Blue - Light Blue. Those half steps help blend the layers more smoothly.

The second thing you can try is say you are wanting to blend your Dark Blue into your Medium Blue. You put your Dark Blue down where you want it to be. Load your brush with your Medium Blue and then dip the tip into your Dark Blue. Drag your brush sideways to lay down your paint with the tip of your brush along the edge of where your Dark Blue has been painted. This helps blends those two colors as you lay the paint down.

It honestly looks like you have the right idea already and my best advice would be "patience"! You are getting there. Smooth blends take time and a lot of back and forth. There are lots of different methods and techniques but patience is going to be your biggest asset!

Keep going! This is looking nice. I like your inspiration photo and the colors you have chosen!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My first NMM on two tiny axes took me 4 hours to smooth blend to satisfaction. It goes faster now :poke:

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Pochi said:

I really like your purple to pink blends. I definitely think you are on the right track and using a wet palette is going to help you.

Two things you might want to try.

First, we'll use your blues for examples. It looks like you have 4 blues for your fins. I would mix a half step in between the two. Example: You have Dark Blue, Medium Blue, Medium Light and Light Blue. Do a mid blend with each so you end up with Dark Blue - DarkBleu/Medium Blue - Medium Blue - Medium Blue/Medium Light - Medium Light - Medium Light/Light Blue - Light Blue. Those half steps help blend the layers more smoothly.

The second thing you can try is say you are wanting to blend your Dark Blue into your Medium Blue. You put your Dark Blue down where you want it to be. Load your brush with your Medium Blue and then dip the tip into your Dark Blue. Drag your brush sideways to lay down your paint with the tip of your brush along the edge of where your Dark Blue has been painted. This helps blends those two colors as you lay the paint down.

It honestly looks like you have the right idea already and my best advice would be "patience"! You are getting there. Smooth blends take time and a lot of back and forth. There are lots of different methods and techniques but patience is going to be your biggest asset!

Keep going! This is looking nice. I like your inspiration photo and the colors you have chosen!

I think one of the things about coloring is that I don't have a triad. Like, I'm still newer at this and have a limited paint set, so what I did for both colors was pick the darkest color and the lightest color. I started with the darkest one and then added the lighter color to it a drop or two at a time to go up, but I think I was probably so new at it that I added too much light color because it didn't seem like enough of a shade difference, especially with the blue.

INcKhEZl.jpg

I definitely want to try and have a few more shades next time, and glazing too. And the brush trick you  mentioned sounds interesting!

• Like 4

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, Cyradis said:

Once you have the blending where you like it, are you considering any freehand pattern? The initial octopus has spots and speckles and whatnot - you could try to replicate some of that sort of thing later. Thinned paints will be key! 

I'm probably not going to try any freehand on this piece in particular - in part because I want to leave my first try at blending out to show, and in part because I'm not the greatest at freehanding and I easily see myself screwing it up and not being able to fix the blend, 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Pochi said:

Thanks! I'm really bad at selecting my own color schemes so the first thing I do when I'm starting something is search for inspiration, and when I saw that octopus I knew I wanted to try those shades!

So now that the blending fun is more or less over I went in to work on some details

I did the rest of his fins over with a little more blending

etBkeiFl.jpg

I brushed Frost Blue over some of his face and edges

anwuBxxl.jpg

Anywhere he had these little valve things...

J0NR0Nvl.jpg

And did the suckers on the bottom of his tentacles

CQoCDgRl.jpg

Then I went back and did a blue wash over everything I just added

1Yhctmql.jpg

And blocked in red for his 3 eyes

t8PeLwql.jpg

IcbDtUPl.jpg

So I was originally going to leave his eyes a solid red and do some shade/highlight, but now that it's blocked in I'm thinking maybe I want a pupil, especially since he has those little blue orbs on his face too. Thoughts?

• Like 11

The eyes are big enough to get more than one color in without hideous difficulty. Give the pupil a whirl! If you don't like it, paint over it ^_^

• Like 3

You are being too hard on yourself.

I have only recently added the skin triads to my paint collection. You don't have to have the triads. The photos of your palette look like you are doing a good job of blending your paints. You can see that you got a smoother gradation with your purple/pink on your palette.

I would definitely go for the pupils in the eyes. Like Cyradis said, you can always paint over it if you don't like.

I feel like if you wanted to do a bit of freehand without covering all of your blending, you could do a little bit of stippling of different colors from your inspiration photo on a few areas. You wouldn't have to go crazy and do it all over. Just a thought.

The blue looks nice and the picking out the areas with the ice blue makes them pop out. He is coming along nicely!

• Like 2

This is looking really cool! And those blends look good, and very much so if it is your first try at blending. I find blending very difficult.

@Guindyloo wrote a very nice tuttorial on glazing in the thread about Rictus the undying.

I would go for pupils in his eyes.

• Like 1