Darsc Zacal

RIP Stephen Hawking

Einstein's Birthday and the day Stephen Hawking left us. Bookends on an era of mathematics and scientific discovery. It seems fitting somehow. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is a thoroughly sad passing for the world. May his atoms inhabit marvelous things throughout the universe. 

• Like 6

R.I.P. considering his condition he has lasted longer than most Doctors would have thought.

A brilliant mind.

Sad that he passed away.

I hope there is something out there instead of "turning off the computer and all goes black " like he believed.

I'm not sure about such things myself, but one can always hope.

• Like 5

Just found out we've lost another hero of space and time.  May his work light the way to our future.

• Like 3

I  heard about this when I woke up. It makes me sad, but he had a pretty decent run. I hope his work continues to inspire others. 

• Like 2

There's already a thread for this, but I guess he was great enough to deserve two. 

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 2

Ashes to Ashes, stardust to stardust, a great scientific mind.

He will be missed.

• Like 4

I've been a fan of him since the early 80s. I still remember when he could still talk unassisted.

The poster boy of astrophysics, he popular science understandable and endlessly amazing. A well known geek as he appeared in Star Trek TNG, Futurama, The Simpsons, and dozens of other shows. And he survived decades longer that 80s medicine predicted. He made computer generated voices not weird and showed the world even disabled people could extremely talented and earn great respect.

Instead of naming a star after him, it should be a super massive black hole. Unseen, but whose influence on the galaxy is great.

• Like 8

A sad day indeed.  But what a mark he made on the world. He had a gift for making science seem accessible to everyone, instead of being some faceless name in an ivory tower.

CA271CD8-FDC2-4406-ACC4-8B4C719EB258.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

To every sailor comes time to drop anchor,

Haul in the rigging, and make the lines fast.

Deep water dreamer, your journey is over,

You're safe in the harbour at last.

Stephen Hawking had a much longer, fuller life that any would have expected, and left his mark - not only in science, but in the perceptions of those left behind.

Gods rest you, Mr. Hawking.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6
  • Sad 1