Sign in to follow this  
DavePgh

Best dragon for Smaug?

Been kicking around the idea of making one the Bones dragons into Smaug since there's so many choices of great sculpts. Therein lies the problem... Too many choices. I figure Cinder would be the obvious choice, probably the one I'm most leaning towards, but is there a better choice? I'd be leaning towards a more live-action look even though his wings are designed like a wyvern's. T'Raukzul would definitely have the grandeur I imagine Smaug to have, but the would put the project on an indefinite hold while we wait for it to hit retail. Thoughts?

Narthrax.

Or if you wouldn't mind extra terrain and minis the Dragon from the Dragon don't share set.

Kyphrixis and Marthrangul are my top recommendations, although the original Dragons Don't Share has the best representation of Smaug as I imagined him from the book.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LarsM
      Hobbit thief with an invisible cloak.

This was a really fun little project. A lot of playing with colors and experimenting.
      It is an old Ral Partha hobbit from my ‘painted-years-ago-box’ that got a repaint.
      The first picture is from the side that is towards the wall. And the last is from the angle where the illusion (almost) works.
      Any critiq and comment is welcome. Thanks for looking.

• By Sanael
      In my last Lunch Sessions thread, I posted this teaser:

This Clearly Non-Hobbit mini was a special piece created by Victoria Lamb (I'm not sure at this point whether it was limited edition, or convention-only, or what) which I picked up at Reapercon 2015 (Victoria was there, talking about OSL, go figure).
      If you're at all familiar with Victoria's painting work, you know she's an incredible OSL painter, and this sculpt is perfect for the technique. Both the torch and the sword (given the clear "sting" of inspiration) are light sources, and both the clothes and the base offer some really great lines for casting shadows and catching light.
      I'm very excited to paint this fellow, as OSL is one of the more advanced techniques that has always drawn my attention...and there are several pieces I want to do up to competition level involving OSL, for which this piece will serve as practice. I intend to take him up to display or competition quality, so please comment and critique as I move along.

My intent with the lighting is to have a very strong yellow-to-orange light cast by the torch, with a very soft bluish light from the sword. I want to play with the interaction where the light sources contact each other, as well as see what I get on different colors of fabric.

This week will be mostly blocking colors in, so I know what the light is falling on. If I move really quickly, I'll start playing with shadows, but I doubt that will come until next week.

DAY 01
      30 minutes

A few basecoats. I started by basing the skin in Carrot Top Red, then lining everything in Blackened Brown.

After lining the base, you can really see where those stones are going to create some really cool cast shadows from the torch.

Following that, I mixed P3 Coal Black into the Blackened Brown and hit his hair with it, then based his coat in Ancient Oak.

I'm choosing black hair mostly because I think it will be the most forgiving of the multi-colored light sources. Trying to figure out how to play with two light sources filtering through translucent hair is beyond the scope of what I'm hoping to accomplish right now. Baby steps, right?

And that's all for today. Tomorrow will see the pants and leathers blocked in, and possibly his eyes. Once the eyes are done, I'll block in the "visible" skin tone (no, he won't stay that orange!)
    • By The Dread Polack
      I am playing a sorcerer with the brass draconic bloodline in Pathfinder. Eventually, I'll start being able to turn into a dragon, starting at medium size, then large, and eventually huge. I already have a huge-sized brass dragon (77109: Fire Dragon), but I'd like to have a mini to use for medium and large sizes. What do you guys suggest, either from Reaper or other companies?
    • By Pochi
      I haven't been painting as much as I would like due to some health issues. I have painted a few things and will be posting them on show off as soon as I can get them based. Most stuff I have been painting has been for my campaign based in ancient Egypt. I was getting a little burnt out and have had DDS2 sitting for about a year so I decided I wanted to work on the ruins.

I knew I wanted them to fit together but I also wanted to be able to use the individual pieces separately. I made a cork "puzzle" and glued the pieces down. My painting friend suggested making several layers so it wasn't just flat and that sounded like a good idea so I made 3 layers to the "puzzle". All of the pieces fit together as you can see in the photos.

Now, I want to use something to make it look like a hill when it is all pushed together. I don't want plaster because it would make it very heavy and not sure how durable that would be. Green stuff is far too expensive to cover the whole thing in. I am thinking maybe FIMO. Not sure yet. Need to make a trip to the art store.

I am going to use pieces of cork and try and find a few columns that I can partially bury in the hill. My plan is to paint them up like Roman ruins. Think Pompeii. In the little niches, I am going to paint little murals. I am considering to try a mosaic pattern on some of the floor.

So anyway, these are just my puzzle pieces so far.

• By JokeroftheWeb
      Hey guys! I am looking to recreate The Heroes of the Lance from the Dragonlance books. I was wondering which miniatures people would suggest ( from Reaper only ) and why?

Thanks!
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)