Jump to content

Pingo

On the techniques of panel painting and how they apply to miniatures, by Pingo

Recommended Posts

 So I have gotten comments like this now and again:

 

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm still a bit baffled how you paint.

At first it seems a bit messy, and then suddenly it all comes together and looks brilliant!

 

and again:

 

On 8/10/2015 at 7:47 AM, smokingwreckage said:

Watching your work unfold is endlessly entertaining. The wood is already fun.

*splorp* It's brown.
*dabdabdab* it's brown with green smudged on it.
*slap*

IT'S AN ALGAL BLOOM ON A SHIPWRECK

How?

HOWWWWW?????

(Edit: I think I can see that you're still building up the colour, but the illusion has already kicked in. Very enthusiastic to see it unfold further.)

 

so I thought I would start a thread to talk some about how I paint, because it works pretty well for me and maybe what I've learned and practiced can help other people too.

 

How I paint miniatures is grounded in how I paint paintings, so that's what I'm going to talk about here.

 

I have a series of WIP photos from a recent painting which I will use to demonstrate.

 

This is the finished painting:

5aab04971490a_NurturingThePhoenix2016.jpg.3080f1172399b1ca74115a4767dc29a9.jpg

 

"Nurturing the Phoenix", oil paint on wooden panel, approx. 18"x24" (would have to pull it out of the painting closet and measure to check)

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always paint on a well-prepared surface.

 

In miniatures painting this means a cleaned figure which has been lightly primed with Titanium White acrylic paint (despite what some have said, no special primer is needed) and washed with Burnt Umber acrylic paint to bring out details of the sculpture.  They generally look something like this (she said, pulling one of the most recent examples out from her list of attachments):

DSC_0450.jpg.4787413a6dc979add11483749358d1ab.jpg

 

This is based on a classical technique in panel (or canvas) painting, where a white-primed panel (or canvas - I'm going to stop saying this now, but assume it is included as a classical painting support) is washed with what the Renaissance Italians referred to as a veil of color before starting the actual painting.

 

Here we have a masonite (not wood, as I said above) panel, 18 inches by 24, with a very thin veil of color on it.

DSC_0073.jpg.704f2ab9dd5c4811c44eff6e8bceb5d9.jpg

 

 

I primed this panel years ago and let it cure. With oil paint, the longer the cure time the better.

 

A masonite or wood panel is prepared by lightly sanding until it is a little rough, then painting with a warm solution of rabbitskin glue (exactly what it sounds like). This is allowed to dry for a full day, then painted with white oil paint. The best priming is Lead White in linseed oil; it is creamier and yellower than the stark white Titanium Dioxide, and linseed oil is mellower and yellower than the other, bluer oils sometimes used with white oil paints, but it is flexible, strong, and durable.

 

Yes, this is lead paint. I laid it on in two layers, one brushed and then one smoothed with a palette knife. I refuse to sand lead paint to achieve a smooth texture, so this panel has a slightly stucco effect.

 

This has a very light veil of Burnt Umber oil paint laid on, then mostly wiped off. Sometimes I do a much darker veil (as I generally do on miniatures). Burnt Umber is one of the naturally fastest drying oil paints, so I will be able to start painting the next day.

 

And this is why I do not chafe at the prep needed for miniatures painting.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Pingo
Ack! Giant image, sorry!
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for sharing this!

And that's a very cool painting btw!

Thank you for sharing this!

And that's a very cool painting btw!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish you had posted this a couple years ago before I had to learn it the long way :D

Good stuff, though! I'm still using store-bought acrylic gesso on cheap canvas, but I will probably start using better surfaces and prep now that I've got a few paintings under my belt (more or less). I will probably avoid lead white for the ground, because I do portraits I like a glass smooth surface to work on and yeah, I'm not going to be sanding lead, either.

 

I have a few decent brushes but finally ordered a few nice brushes from Rosemary.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone else reading this thread, CashWiley's  signature above has a link to his portrait painting thread, which is also fantastic to read if you want to understand more of how traditional art comes together.  I always love reading about art from both Pingo and Cash, tiny bits of their wisdom soak into my brain.  ^_^ 

 

Thanks again to Pingo for writing so many detailed work in progress threads!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I kinda left off updating the thread and my blog, since it mostly seemed like I was talking to myself :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 2:17 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Thank you for sharing this!

And that's a very cool painting btw!

Thank you for sharing this!

And that's a very cool painting btw!

 

Thanks twice. :lol:

 

On 3/16/2018 at 7:09 AM, Kang said:

really cool stuff, thanks for sharing this.

 

Kang

 

Thank you. I enjoy my work and if something about it can help other people with theirs I'm all for it.

 

On 3/16/2018 at 11:09 AM, CashWiley said:

I wish you had posted this a couple years ago before I had to learn it the long way :D

Good stuff, though! I'm still using store-bought acrylic gesso on cheap canvas, but I will probably start using better surfaces and prep now that I've got a few paintings under my belt (more or less). I will probably avoid lead white for the ground, because I do portraits I like a glass smooth surface to work on and yeah, I'm not going to be sanding lead, either.

 

I have a few decent brushes but finally ordered a few nice brushes from Rosemary.

 

I am very, very careful around my Lead White paint. It has some marvelous properties, but it's perfectly possible to paint just fine without it.

 

I had not mentioned brushes. Almost everything here is painted with stiff hog's bristle brushes. FIne, soft brushes like the sables and kolinskys that we use for miniatures are too fragile for thick, gooshy oil paint, on the whole.

 

I do use soft brushes for some kinds of blending. There is something called a fan brush which is used, dry, to pat very thin color mixes to blend them. It only works on quite thin paint films, though.

 

On 3/16/2018 at 11:52 AM, LittleBluberry said:

For anyone else reading this thread, CashWiley's  signature above has a link to his portrait painting thread, which is also fantastic to read if you want to understand more of how traditional art comes together.  I always love reading about art from both Pingo and Cash, tiny bits of their wisdom soak into my brain.  ^_^ 

 

Thanks again to Pingo for writing so many detailed work in progress threads!  

 

"Pingo and Cash." Gawds. :poke:

 

On 3/16/2018 at 2:09 PM, CashWiley said:

Thanks! I kinda left off updating the thread and my blog, since it mostly seemed like I was talking to myself :D

 

My late M-I-L used to talk about casting your bread upon the waters. People do see these things.

On 3/16/2018 at 2:17 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Thank you for sharing this!

And that's a very cool painting btw!

Thank you for sharing this!

And that's a very cool painting btw!

 

Thanks twice. :lol:

 

On 3/16/2018 at 7:09 AM, Kang said:

really cool stuff, thanks for sharing this.

 

Kang

 

Thank you. I enjoy my work and if something about it can help other people with theirs I'm all for it.

 

On 3/16/2018 at 11:09 AM, CashWiley said:

I wish you had posted this a couple years ago before I had to learn it the long way :D

Good stuff, though! I'm still using store-bought acrylic gesso on cheap canvas, but I will probably start using better surfaces and prep now that I've got a few paintings under my belt (more or less). I will probably avoid lead white for the ground, because I do portraits I like a glass smooth surface to work on and yeah, I'm not going to be sanding lead, either.

 

I have a few decent brushes but finally ordered a few nice brushes from Rosemary.

 

I am very, very careful around my Lead White paint. It has some marvelous properties, but it's perfectly possible to paint just fine without it.

 

I had not mentioned brushes. Almost everything here is painted with stiff hog's bristle brushes. FIne, soft brushes like the sables and kolinskys that we use for miniatures are too fragile for thick, gooshy oil paint, on the whole.

 

I do use soft brushes for some kinds of blending. There is something called a fan brush which is used, dry, to pat very thin color mixes to blend them. It only works on quite thin paint films, though.

 

On 3/16/2018 at 11:52 AM, LittleBluberry said:

For anyone else reading this thread, CashWiley's  signature above has a link to his portrait painting thread, which is also fantastic to read if you want to understand more of how traditional art comes together.  I always love reading about art from both Pingo and Cash, tiny bits of their wisdom soak into my brain.  ^_^ 

 

Thanks again to Pingo for writing so many detailed work in progress threads!  

 

"Pingo and Cash." Gawds. :poke:

 

On 3/16/2018 at 2:09 PM, CashWiley said:

Thanks! I kinda left off updating the thread and my blog, since it mostly seemed like I was talking to myself :D

 

My late M-I-L used to talk about casting your bread upon the waters. People do see these things.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After letting the underpainting dry, I started laying in color.

 

In oil painting there has been a rule of thumb for centuries: "Fat over lean."

 

What this means is that high oil-absorbing pigments should not be laid under low oil-absorbers. It has to do with the integrity of the paint film, flexibility, cracking, and long-term survival of the painting.

 

I've seen people describe this as slow driers over quick driers, but that's not actually the case. Drying oil chemistry is complex and the ways the oils interact with pigments are even more complex, so some very slow driers, such as the Cadmiums, are very low oil absorbers.

 

(None of this relates to miniatures painting using acrylics, but I thought I'd mention it as a glimpse of part of the complexity in using different painting media.)

 

So anyway, I started to lay in the first layers of color on the painting using cadmium pigments, with their rich reds, oranges, and golden yellows, blended with Lead White.

DSC_0171.jpg.2f8b41fec3c8af7caa61b7c2fcc540ff.jpg

 

I worked out more of the winged-clawed structures using more Burnt Umber and Lead White.

DSC_0222.jpg.0ccc6684d3c1b346c10e4869ced9eecf.jpg

 

More Cadmiums.

DSC_0224.jpg.ebc8ed4f559a6a053821eaca2286ebc5.jpg

 

Ultramarine Blue is also a low oil absorber, good for early layers in a painting. I started adding some cool colors at the top.

DSC_0225.jpg.432d2fd92283eb14a98eabd50b784813.jpg

 

I began to work more on the details of the figure, continuing to use Burnt Umber and Lead White.

DSC_0226.jpg.b816083bc8353d543a50ce082ea6510f.jpg 

 

DSC_0227.jpg.dd32a4c0cf398719e1ce85f9be21779a.jpg

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting angle on drying. I've been applying it to mediums but didn't think much about it with tube paint itself. the cads take forever to dry, I paint once a week in class and can usually just keep using my cads, all the earth pigments get refreshed on the palette each week.

Also, I do use a soft brush quite a bit, the bristles add too much texture for anything but rough early painting. For mid-painting, I've been trying some mixed brushes, real and synthetic, that purport to be a blend of stiff and smooth. Not good enough for smooth work, but less textured and destructive than straight bristles.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16-3-2018 at 8:09 PM, CashWiley said:

Thanks! I kinda left off updating the thread and my blog, since it mostly seemed like I was talking to myself :D

 

I may not always comment, but I do look at your thread.

You're creating awesome stuff in there!

Don't stop.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2018 at 10:57 AM, CashWiley said:

Interesting angle on drying. I've been applying it to mediums but didn't think much about it with tube paint itself. the cads take forever to dry, I paint once a week in class and can usually just keep using my cads, all the earth pigments get refreshed on the palette each week.

Also, I do use a soft brush quite a bit, the bristles add too much texture for anything but rough early painting. For mid-painting, I've been trying some mixed brushes, real and synthetic, that purport to be a blend of stiff and smooth. Not good enough for smooth work, but less textured and destructive than straight bristles.

 

I think it depends on how much paint one is laying down.

 

If one is using a smoothly blended, academic style with many thin layers, a softer-haired brush makes sense.

 

I was taught at a place with a vast collection of top quality French Impressionism, which tended very much towards the thick and gooshy in paint strokes. Many of my teachers seemed to be making conscious efforts to get us students to really get into the texture of the paints.

 

I never liked the really thick paint, but I did love some of the lushness of Rembrandt's thick, thick white highlights and the liveliness of many of the Impressionists' works.

 

I use hogs bristle brushes to get enough paint onto the board without collapsing the brush. I also like the presence of visible brushstrokes. Once the paint is laid down, I do sometimes use softer brushes for finer blends.

 

Hang on a moment, let me see if I have a close up of the brushwork.

 

Yeah, here's one from a later stage of the painting. It is about 3x life size, I think:

DSC_0388-detail-brushwork.jpg.5b00ae17a659c027617ec34a57030cbf.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So anyway. I still hadn't decided if I was going to make the space above and behind the figure light or dark, but I knew I wanted it to have coldish undertones. So I laid down some Ultramarine Blue, still sticking to the low-oil-absorption colors.

 

Because of that low-oil-absorption colors thing, a lot of my oil paintings' first layers (after the umber underpainting) tend towards bright blues, oranges, and yellows, like this one.

 

As a side note, I don't think I really added more yellow since the last photo. I think it's just the vagaries of lighting and cameras.

DSC_0228.jpg.a69e42b7d3f26033bc6bb3d0863f3f71.jpg

 

I no longer remember what this color was. It is likely to be a dull violet mix, probably of Ultramarine Blue plus Burnt Umber or possibly one of the Violet Iron Oxides.

DSC_0230.jpg.66e6a3cbda9fe7c326c27ef12da1796d.jpg

 

I put some floating faces in on the left. These I did thinly, using softer brushes to blend. I am pretty sure this is a mix of Burnt Umber with a little Ultramarine Blue and highlights in Lead White.

DSC_0256.jpg.4ec255a7c1a81db43e7152854a124286.jpg

 

Details of the faces and the phoenix chick:

 

DSC_0257-detail-1.jpg.04f0fbd658ea9407f7164447a586c98e.jpg   DSC_0258.jpg.aad43f3106f07e01e42a3f1b15168ac9.jpg

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We go a bit thicker in the highlights, a bit thinner in the shadows; tricks for using light in the room when looking at the finished painting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Pingo
      This miniature is 15503C Nyamaunir Piratin, a catgirl pirate from Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye, Germany's 1980s answer to Dungeons and Dragons). She's a little Old School and a little short even for that. I like that she looks like a cat who is a person in sensible pirating clothes.
       

       

       
        
       
        
       
        
       
      There was a WIP thread, but it didn't get very far.
    • By NomadZeke
      Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84371-2019-rpchallenge-questionsannouncements/
      All the information you need should be here.

      As usual, the new format holds a "hard mode" challenge!

      March and April 2019 Challenge

      Your challenge is: 9!

      Bonus Challenge: The First!
      March 8th is the birthday of Ralph H. Baer, often called the "father of video games." To tribute these early games - paint a character to resemble an early video game character (Think 16-bit era or sooner) the more obscure, the better!
      Addendum: It doesn't have to ONLY exist in that era. It doesn't matter if it's the only incarnation of it like Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure or Power Pete, or originated but is on 5183 of the series (looking at you, Final Fantasy.) but the spirit is to that era.

      Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      Bringing back the classic for April, the "Fools' Brigade!" Paint a mini in a patently absurd scheme! CAV with a bullseye on it...elf with an "I'm organic" tabbard, etc. The more outlandish the better!

      Hard Mode Challenge! Ides Of March
      Famously known as the date when Julies Caesar was assassinated, March 15. Make a small diorama (or large, whichever) of such an assassination about to, or having recently happened. Characters and environment. This will be counted as # of miniatures + 2 base and scenery.)

      As always, the game is made up and the points don't matter!
    • By NomadZeke
      Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.
       
      We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.
       
      As an experiment, this project has been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge again, that seemed to have worked so until further notice that is our format. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.
       
      FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.
       
      NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota
       
      Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1. (not yet updated for the CAV II figures)
       
       
      If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.
       
      Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little or not as much as one would like, to start painting more.
       
      You challenge begins...now!
       
      And Our Mantra:
       
       
      Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, post in the bi-monthly thread and include the tag RPChallenge
       
       
      The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)
       
      What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)
       
      Year long challenge
      Pick a miniature of size large or greater to complete in the Jan-Feb Block. In Nov-December, purchase that same mini and repaint in the same scheme to see direct side-by-side improvement or changes in your methods
       
      Jan/Feb: 8: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84372-january-february-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85335-march-april-rpchallenge/
      May/June: 9
      July/August: 9:
      Sept/Oct: 8:
      Nov/Dec: 9:
       
      Again, I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this.
    • By Pingo
      This is Stonehaven's Half-Orc Librarian, a pleasantly sinister and unassuming character. The quote in the title of the thread is from Neil Gaiman.
       
      Comments et alia welcome, natch. WIP thread here.
       
        
       
        
    • By Pingo
      This is Stonehaven's Half-Orc Nobleman, another nice and eccentric steampunk character. The quote in the title of the thread is from Beau Brummell.
       
      Comments, etc. welcome. WIP thread here.
       
       
       
        
       
        
       
             
       
      This is all paint:

  • Who's Online   55 Members, 1 Anonymous, 65 Guests (See full list)

×