Crimson_king_of_the_tower

First time to reaper con!

I haven't been on the forums in a while so hi again all!  So I'm finally in a situation where me and my wife will be able to make it to reapercon and have already booked the room. My post here is what are some of the highlights, how does it all work things like that really looking forward to going! 

• Like 2

well, if you want to meet some folks in advance, get on the google hangouts in the evenings and talk with us!

George

• Like 2

OK I've got some time this morning so I'll lay some stuff out there for you.  It will be disjointed, but it's free advice.

I've been to a couple of ReaperCons, one at the hotel and a couple at the convention center.  No one has been to the new venue so some of the info/advice may not apply.  Also, Reaper is constantly tweaking things, so some things may change.  We won't know until Reaper releases the details.

1. While the con runs from Thursday to Sunday, Reaper does normally hold a Meet and Greet (in the past a Meat and Greet with BBQ or pizza) on Wednesday night.  Also, many people stay Sunday night and fly out on Monday.  (disclaimer, I am one of these people usually).

2. You will not be able to do everything.  There is not physically enough time (or class slots) to do everything.  Don't overschedule your self.  That said, there are some things that you will want to make sure you get to.  I'll break them down below.

2a.  Factory tour- a shuttle takes you to the factory/Asylum (Reaper Store).  Members of Reaper will take you on a guided tour of the facility (offices, mold/casting area) showing you the production process and giving you a history lesson of the company.  You will also be able to peruse painted mini gallery.  This usually takes 1.5-2 hours.  The shuttle leaves a couple of time per day, so listen for the announcements.  In the past there have been various reasons when one of the scheduled trips didn't happen (mechanical difficulties and what not) so don't leave the trip for the last minute.

2a (cont).  Bin shopping.  At past Reapercons, Reaper has graciously allowed attendees to shop the bins at the factory.  You can grab loose pewter from the bins (whole minis, bits, whatever) and put it in a pile.  They will also give you an order sheet so that if there are any pieces that you can't find (bin is empty, or say you want 100 platypods;).  If they have the molds, they will cast it for you.  I have even managed to get special edition figs this way (not things like Doom where they don't have license anymore though).  At the end, they weigh it out, and you pay a per ounce fee for it all (I think it was $6 last year; it changes every year based upon the cost of pewter).  You were able to get an ounce for ounce credit from the melt table.  Which brings us to.....

2b.  The Melt Table: Somewhere, there will be a sturdy metal table.  You bring your unwanted pewter minis (no lead; there is a thread with a list of approved manufacturers.  They weigh your melt, and record your credit in Ounces.  You can then dig though the melt table and rescue any figs you desire.  You bring them up to volunteers running the table and they deduct their weigh from your credit.  If you don't have any/enough credit, you can pay for the rescued minis by weight (it was $1 per ounce last year).  More stuff gets dropped off all the time, so some people spend hours sifting through the table.  After the con, Reaper will melt down all of the remaining minis and turn them into new Reaper minis.

2c.  Classes:  This is the big draw for many people.  I don't have much experience with classes at other cons, but I believe that RCon is one of the biggest venues for painting/sculpting classes.  There is a frenzy when the classes become available, with the most popular one selling out in minutes.  Every year, Reaper brings in more instructors, and more classes, but demand always seem to out strip supply.  Not everything fills up immediately, and I'm pretty sure that there were still some classes available during the Con (people cancel or can't make the Con).  One oft repeated piece of advice is to not overload yourself.  You need time to process what you learn and practice.  A lot of people recommend only taking two classes a day; others take as many as they can (Reaper will put a max limit of classes per person for the con; was it 12 last year?).  But take a class (or 6).  They are great.  I have not had a bad instructor.  I have always learned something new.  I just need to practice more :)

2d.  Games:  There are bunches of games.  Pathfinder Society, Starfinder Society, Adventure League, CAV, one shots, demos of various systems (in the past Guild Ball, Freeblades, Battle for Middle Earth, Frostgrave).  Bunches of stuff.  Last year there were also pinball machines and a board game library.  After hours, there are pick up RPG games at the hotel, and many party style games (Red Lines, Card against Humanity and the like).

2e.  Vendors:  much mini goodness.  Reaper obviously, but in the past, Badger Airbrush, Hanger 18, Secret Weapons, DGS games, terrain manufacturers, Scale 54, Minifig  (lego) vendors, crafters, authors, artists; many many things.  Also, in you sway bag there may again be a punch card good for a free mini from Reaper if you get a punch for visiting each vendor.

2f.  Paint events:  Sophie Says, Speed Paint and so forth.  Sit down in a group and paint a figure with the paints provided.  Depending on the event, you may have to paint during shenanigans.  Much fun.  I recommend doing as many as you have time for.

2g.  Cosplay: get Reaper bucks for showing up in costume (or Reaper Swag)

2h.  Faction Battle:  Through out the con, you will be able to earn points for your "faction".  These are stickers that you can put on any faction's poster.  At the end of the con, the faction with the least points gets retired.  The faction with the most points wins, and if you are a member of that faction (chosen when you register), you get to sign a special book.

2i.  Auction:  There are other topics for this, but the last event of the con is an auction that you can only spend Reaperbucks to bid on.  You earn bucks for events, classes, costumes and various other things.  Lots of people combine bucks to win auctions.  There are various other threads about the auction economy.

Hope this helps.  I'll add more as I think of it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Welcome to Thunder Dome!!

Uh...I mean, hello. We dont bite much, hope that's okay. Least not too hard. Its because we care really.

Don't be shy to just walk up to a table of painter and say Hi or grab a seat and chat. We're all here because we love to paint or sculpt or cosplay or secretly stalk our favorite teacher. It varies, ive done a couple of these once.....or twice. 

Honestly, Dilvish's response is far more insightful. 

• Like 5

2j.  Paint contest:  Open style judging.  Not limited to first, second and third place.  You are judged on the merit of the paint job (or sculpting, bases and mods in the Open category) and awarded a certificate of merit, Bronze, Silver or Gold in the category entered.  Do enter.  It's a great way to see where you stand in the hobby and many people have been very surprised to have won a gold or silver when they thought they were a much worse painter (not me, I've solidly been a Cert painter).  Afterwards you can get feedback from the judges about what worked, what didn't and areas to work on for next time (there is going to be a next time, right?).  Enter something, they can't be worse than the table top jobs I enter every year.

2k.  Talk to the artists.  There is an "Artist's Row" where the sculptors and the painters hang out in between teaching classes.  All of them have stated that they want you to come up to them and ask questions.  Even the ones that are painting and sculpting and wearing optivisors.  They are all quite friendly and helpful (and some may even have art for sale; I bought a lovely print from Jessica Rich last year).

2l.  Free paint/game/whatever area:  Usually in the center of the room, there are a bunch of table that you can sit at, set up your paint area, or play pick up games at.  this is where you can meet your fellow hobbyists and get to know them.  There are groups of people that hangout every year (especially us forumites) but everyone is usually welcoming.  My first RCon, I was taken under the wings of several RCon vets and "shown the ropes".  Feel free to look me up, I'll happily introduce you around.

2m.  Ribbons:  Reaper gives out con ribbons for various things; taking the shop tour, joining a faction, participating in a speed paint and so forth.  Many of the regulars also have ribbons that you can earn by saying hi or doing various other things.  I gave out two different ones last year.  It's a fun game for some to try and collect them all.

2n.  Sunday Forumite Dinner:  There a re a bunch of Forumites that go out to dinner as a group after the Con on Sunday night (if you stay over Sunday night or you have a red eye flight).  Last year there were 30 of us I think.

2o.  Forumite Pictures:  We try and take a forumite picture(s) every year.  It used to be after the award ceremony, then it became after dinner each night of the con.  Now that there aren't meals this year, not sure when it will happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

For more about the painting competition take a look at these two links:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To add to Dilvish's excellent overview, the games are free to play (as are most of the events, minus classes & shopping of course). There will be sign ups posted online. Mainly these are to help you plan your Con schedule out. 

As one of the table GMs I tend to, unless a signed person shows up, to let you in. Also depending on the game, I tend to run my games in 4 hr blocks. 

Also the Con swag bag is one of the best bargains in the business. Depending on how they will structure ticket plans, if you can afford it get the top tier one. It pays for itself. 

• Like 5

I've already planned on getting the vip package the hard pay is going to be divying up my time between things which games I want to attend and whay classes I want to take I thought about the painting contest but over only been seriously practicing for about a month now so I dunno

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

I've already planned on getting the vip package the hard pay is going to be divying up my time between things which games I want to attend and whay classes I want to take I thought about the painting contest but over only been seriously practicing for about a month now so I dunno

Enter!

the things dilvish said about judges comments after the fact are pure gold!!!!!!!

• Like 6

Out of the...4 I have attended now I am always saying that I will take some time and play a game...but I never do.  Usually 2 classes a day except last year when I did just 1 on Saturday because my daughter was with me all day and we both took Bob's horror base class together.  With her being 7 at the time I could not run off to another class and leave her hanging out at a table.  Well I could have and she may have enjoyed just painting with @MissMelons and others at the table but until we have a better grasp on her allergy issue that is a tough thing to do. We usually go back up on Sunday to check out the auction and say our goodbyes but not sure if I will do that this year.  I will play it by ear.  

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Heisler
      Breaking out the scoring or How your models are judged at the Reaper Con MSP Open

This will be a series of four posts each concentrating on a different entry category. These scoring “rules” are based on the MMSI painting competition in Chicago and variants of this system are used on an international basis. Michael Proctor and I took a good hard look at the rules a number of years ago and introduced a few tweaks to the system to better represent what we, as judges, are looking for when scoring your entry at Reaper Con. The basis for all of these is still the MMSI rules and there is not a whole lot of difference between the emphasis of the components in each division. One thing to keep in mind is that manufacturer awards do not necessarily use the MSP Open system. Those winners are, typically, chosen by the manufacturer (including Reaper for the Sophies) or their representative on site using their own criteria.

The scoring is quite simple. A judge assigns an entry one of five numerical values based on their opinion of what the entrant has earned for their entry:

0 – no award
      1 – Certificate of Merit
      2 – Bronze Medal
      3 – Silver Medal
      4 – Gold Medal

The Reaper Con judging teams are made up of three judges (There are options to use 4 or 5 judges but regardless of how many judges are used only three scores are tallied). Each judge assigns one of these 5 values to each miniature assigned to their team. The three scores are tallied which gets a value somewhere between 0 and 12. That final tally gives a number that tells the team what award to give to the entrant for that entry. Judging is typically not done by committee, each judge assigns the score they feel the piece deserves and moves on to the next. Most discussion takes place around which piece to score when there are multiple entries. Judges do consult with each other when they have difficulty assigning a score to an entry.

0 – 1 No Award
      2 – 4 Certificate of Merit
      5 – 7 Bronze Medal
      8 – 10 Silver Medal
      11 – 12 Gold Medal

That’s the basics, now let’s take a look at how a judge uses the five components to decide what score they are going to give you.

Painter Division
      The Painter Division is for stock models, those that come straight from the package or are assembled as shown by the manufacturer (it can include minor conversions). The Painter Division is the largest category at the MSP Open, often encompassing hundreds of entries at each show. There is no limit to the number of entries that an individual can enter in this category. I personally would limit yourself to your three best, but if you intend to be considered for other manufacturer or theme awards then it would not be out of place to see six or more entries from an individual.
      If you have just a single entry then the judges can just go ahead and score your entry, no discussion is necessary. If you have multiple entries, then there will be a discussion between the judges on which entry they want to score. That conversation is typically the only conversation that needs to occur for any given entrant. When selecting the scoring entry the conversation is based on “I can score this one higher than the others” or words to that affect, till they come to a decision which is usually pretty quickly done. If the entries are visually very thematic the judges may decide to judge them together as a single entry.

Let’s take a quick look at the scoring guidelines the judges use (which is published as part of the MSP Open rules):
      Difficulty: 5%
      Creativity: 10%
      Workmanship: 10%
      Painting Skill: 70%
      Presentation: 5%

What does that really mean? In a nutshell we want to see how well you can paint! Did you really execute the different techniques to the best of your ability? Hence why painting skill is the predominant component that a judge is going to look at. Let’s look at a breakdown of those components and how they relate to a miniature in the Painters Division.

Difficulty: This is definitely not an intuitive concept in the Painter Division. The judge is not looking at the techniques (including freehand) you used on the miniature. They are looking at how difficult is the miniature itself to paint. While how difficult a miniature is also subjective, subtle shading on flat or nearly flat surfaces are much more difficult to pull off than shading on a surface with more surface texture. Often difficulty is going to come into play when a judge is on the fence between two scores.

Creativity: This component looks at use of color, color schemes and the use of freehand designs in other words things that aren’t part of the sculpt itself. This is also where painted effects first come into play, like OSL (Object Source Lighting). This is the component that really addresses your freedom of expression on your entry and how well you bring that across to the audience.

Workmanship: This is a pretty straightforward component. It reflects how well you prepared your model for painting. Any type of non-painting effort is represented here. In the Painter division this includes finding the elusive mold line and eliminating it but it also includes assembling a multi piece miniatures or executing minor conversions. A well done conversion or well assembled miniature means that the judge can’t tell that anything has been converted or that it had multiple pieces. A missed mold line, poor assembly or a poorly executed conversion could easily drop you a while numeric value in the scoring.

Painting Skill: This is the whole key to the Painter Division entry, how well you apply paint to the miniature. These is where you are evaluated on the techniques you used how well you executed them. Tying everything together is really important as well. Everything you do must come together as a whole composition. It is an area where judges need to be aware of everything that is going on and how it is fitting together. While this is the predominate component of the Painter Division it is also the most subjective.
      Judges must overcome their prejudices about which techniques they prefer. As an example there is nothing wrong with drybrushing as long as you executed it properly regardless of how the judge feels about that technique.
      Here is an example of how a judge needs to be aware of many different styles and techniques. Blending doesn’t always have to be a smooth transition from light to dark, there are multiple different types of blending, it is how well you executed the technique or style you opted for. Do you blend like Jen Haley or like Alfonso “Banshee” Giraldes? They both achieve marvelous blends but their techniques are markedly different in achieving those blends.

Presentation: While not the most important component in the Painter Division it is another example of getting the little things right. A nice, well executed base will set the “scene” for your miniature. It can be the simple base that the miniature came on or with or it can be more elaborate, although I would save the effort on a really elaborate base for a miniature going into the Open or Diorama divisions. This component is another that one that a judge will often use when making that final decision between scores, a tie breaker as it were.

If you made it through that wall of text, congratulations! Hopefully that helped explain away some of the magic behind the scoring in the Painter Division.

• By Heisler
      You know me from such forum posts as:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/60626-so-you-are-thinking-of-entering-the-painting-competition-at-reapercon/
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71583-msp-open-judging-what-you-were-afraid-to-ask/
      and 
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68535-some-thoughts-on-dioramas/

As the convention approaches like a steamroller, the eyes glaze over and the hands begin to shake, there is no way you can possibly finish all the entries you have planned for the competition. You come to the immediate conclusion that you cannot possibly finish any of your entries in time. You have entered the competition version of painter’s block!

I see posts in the forums every year about people not being able to finish their entries for one reason or another. But I tell you there are options!

1)    Reduce the number entries you are working on. Seriously look at the entries you are working on and immediately reduce the number by half. That will make things look more doable. Here are a few suggestions to help you make those decisions.
           a.    As much as you love that diorama idea, if the base isn’t ready then it’s the first thing you drop. Dioramas are serious time sinks.
           b.    If the conversion work isn’t ready or your super nifty basework isn’t done, then drop your Open entry. This is another example of a serious time sink, cross this one off the list.
           c.     If you are not “feeling” one of your painter or ordnance entries it is time to set it aside and concentrate on the one(s) you like. You paint work is invariably better on a piece that you enjoy working on.
      2)    Instead of working on a new piece look at other miniatures you have completed in the last six months. Chances are there is something you really like there and instead of working on the new piece work on improving one you have already finished (who knows maybe it doesn’t even need extra work).
      3)    Instead of working on an entry for each of the manufacturer awards make the hard decision and pick one or maybe none at all. [This is a corollary of #1]. Note that if you are painting a Reaper mini you are always in consideration for a Sophie Trophy.
      4)    Not entering means not getting feedback from the judges on your work. If you really want to improve then critical feedback is what you need.

Seriously in the end just enter something even if it is not the piece you originally intended on entering. While the Reaper forums are a nice place to show off, it is a notoriously bad place to get real, make me cry, feedback on things you can improve. It’s a friendly supportive community and sometimes that’s not what you need when you are trying to break that gold medal barrier.
    • By Heisler
      There are a couple of small changes that I wanted to call out for the painting competition, most people are already aware of these.

The theme for 2016 is Horror, unfortunately I forgot to tell Bryan to update that page in the rules where it is still listing the 2015 Science Fiction Theme.

We are extending the Saturday deadline to 1pm instead of Noon.

The hours listed in the schedule are for viewing, here are the hours that we will be accepting entries.

Drop off Hours
      Thursday 10am - 6pm
      Friday      9am - 5pm (This is the deadline for those attending the whole con, NO EXCEPTIONS)
      Saturday  9am - 1pm (This is a change, we are stretching it out an hour, This is the deadline for those attending only on Saturday, NO EXCEPTIONS)

Pick Up Hours
      Saturday 9pm - 10pm (For those only attending on Saturday after the banquet and awards ceremony)
      Sunday   9am - 2pm (Entries need to be picked up before the auction on Sunday[2:30pm])

• By knarthex
      So Here is the Ranger Josey Wales....

If you have been following my WiP, you'll know why he is called that....

I started this mini as a piece for one of the players in our Pathfinder game, and suddenly, something went absolutely right with the face and hair, and suddenly, people are encouraging me to enter him in the ReaperCon Painting Competition....
      So I really pushed myself to make him the best he could be...
      Trying a few new techniques, and taking extra care with everything I did...

Hope you like him.

Due to the pose of the mini, I took pics from the normal top down angle, and then some pics from below...

A wonderful mini to paint, but DO NOT assemble him first!!!! Lots and lots of times I cursed myself for doing that...

Comments and critiques welcome!

George

• By JackMann
      So, we have about two months right now to prepare our cosplay options.  I thought it might be useful to have a thread where we discuss our ideas and perhaps seek suggestions.

Myself, I'm basically at the ground state on my costume.  I have some accessories I can put to the purpose, but no overall idea, except for the Con's Western theme.

Assets:
      Broad-brimmed black leather hat, somewhat cowboyish.
      Black safari vest, replete with pockets for storing assorted items.
      Two TA-57 Soviet Field Telephones.
      Assorted souvinirs from Afghanistan
      Hats in various styles
      Khaffiyeh and Aqal, here modeled by a tonberry, and various knives
      Two feline assistants

The obvious costume would be something Lawrence-of-Arabia-like, maybe buying a dishdasha.  However, that doesn't fit in with the convention's western theme.  I do have some westernish hats, but I don't have much to make a western costume stand out.  I could perhaps try to convert the field telephones into something more steampunkish, and go from there.

Any thoughts?
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)