knarthex

Australian Bristol Beaufighter Documentary

An Australian documentary about the Bristol Beaufighter serving in the South West Pacific during WWII...

Interesting for an American to see something like this, as most documentaries I see are either American, or British....

• Like 3

Thanks for the link.

I love the Beaufighter.  

For one reason or other it's almost universally ignored in the documentaries.

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely give this a watch. 

IIRC one of these had a brief cameo in Dunkirk. 

The Beaufighter wasn't put into service until July 1940, but Dunkirk was in May/June that year, so that would have been inaccurate.

Maybe a Blenheim?  

It's the same overall shape, but slightly shorter, has a turret on top and generally flew like a sitting duck...   

(Slow... )   

Longer but not really faster is a Beaufort Torpedo bomber.

They got it right on the third try...  

(Bristol Hercules engines instead of the weaker Taurus, and 4 x 20mm cannons. )

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

The Beaufighter wasn't put into service until July 1940, but Dunkirk was in May/June that year, so that would have been inaccurate.

Maybe a Blenheim?  

It's the same overall shape, but slightly shorter, has a turret on top and generally flew like a sitting duck...   

(Slow... )   

Longer but not really faster is a Beaufort Torpedo bomber.

They got it right on the third try...  

(Bristol Hercules engines instead of the weaker Taurus, and 4 x 20mm cannons. )

Thanks for the information. I honestly don't know what it was in Dunkirk. I know it has the same basic shape and outline. They don't specifically state what model, it's in a scene where it comes over the yacht headed to Dunkirk and the captain just states, "It's one of ours." Or similar. 

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know all there is to know about warbirds. Even about the ones I know some about.

I'm not one of those people who insists on movies being 110% accurate. Unless it's a documentary. Particularly like Dunkirk where they are using practical effects instead of CGI, because I know it's getting harder and harder to find some of the original equipment. 

Also, this thread has made my day better. 

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By knarthex
      So as a lot of folks around these here electronic parts know, I have barely hobbied since ReaperCon, due to brain weasel infestation...
      So for the past few days, I have tried to ease my way back in by working on 'risers' for my display case...
      These are chunks of blue insulation foam, cut to fit on my table saw (what a mess it makes!)
      Then sprayed Grey with Stynylrez primer through my airbrush.

Overall case:

Started life as the 'wings' of an entertainment center, and I added the LED lights scavenged from work...
      Left side is still in progress... (Top to bottom)

A lonely DDS2
      a bare section that I sprayed the foam for tonight (The ex suggested that I put figures with a special value to me in it, old characters and such, likely, exchanges and gifts will end up in there as well, and the first 25mm mini that I ever painted. Rest will be underground critters and whatever else I can cram in there to get them off my bookcases....)
      Frostgrave terrain and warbands...

Right side:

Top is Demons and devils, Undead and pillars, and some of my medal wining Reapercon stuff
      Middle is some bigger things...
      Bottom is Giants and wilderness type critters....

Thanks for taking a peek!
      G
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      After I started working on my Soviet Russian girls, I soon noticed that I missed some usable terrain.

So it was time for me to start making some.

I checked my stuff and ... unfortunately I didn't have got any usable terrain. But I had some 28mm Warhammer 40k barrels and boxes. So ... what to do with those? ...

Luckily I am a person full of ideas and dreams and melancholy. So I remembered back in the days when I was young, I played a game called "Blitzkrieg".

"Blitzkrieg" was a lovely game using a lovely graphic engine for displaying things. And they had this wonderful supply depot, which I think would be perfect

First off I have have to prepare some boxes to later have a good foundation for the blanket.

... which ended in in looking like this:

Time to paint!
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      The Show-Off thread for my Soviet Russian female Batallion project. You can find the WIP-thread here: ->Let's make ... Soviet Russian Female Battalion for Bolt Action<- 

So ... without further Ado, let's get into the presentation ...

The first three figures are done. C&C are welcome.

Next group is already on its way.
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      Hello everyone,

Some of you already know my Roza Shanina build (Check here ->Let's present ... Roza Shanina<-) and my Russian tank commander and tank rider build (Check here ->Painting female Soviet tank commanders and tank riders<-) and some might have noticed the little glimpse of what I was working on at the headswap topic (check ->here<-).

But now it is time to present the project as a whole.

Whoever is interested in the background of the project might find an answer in this post ->here<-

So, let's get started.

As at the the time I started the project my sculpting skills were far inferior to what I am able to do today, I needed some plain surface for sculpting female attributes onto the body.

Luckily Warlord Games had just released a number of Soviet Russians in winter clothing, so I took the opportunity to get me a box of them and started working.

Unfortunately the heads I wanted to use were unavailable so I began working on the bodies alone. Not a problem for me. I am running around headless most of my time, so I know what I am doing.

After having cut out and cleaned the bases, it was time to go onto the bodies.

Using some greenstuff it was rather easy to make males into females. And luckily there are a lot of reference pictures  of real female soldiers in WWII. Yeah - well. Those who know me know that I normally reject reality and substitute my own. Therefore - mixed real and anime approaches to make the girls visually appealing on a greater distance.

Time to dry!
    • By knarthex
      Hey folks looking for some advice on a project I am hoping to accomplish for Reapercon '18...

It won't let me quote in the 1st post, so the next will have the links...

george

WIP here
  • Who's Online   55 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)