eldamir

debasing miniatures

What do folks generally use when removing a brocolli base from a metal mini?  So far, I've always just worked* the existing base into a new one when basing something, but want to try and up my game a bit..

*i.e. by worked, I meant glued it to a washer and painted them the same color :D

thanks in advance

• Like 1

I have seen people use razor saws, clippers, Dremels and other tools. My issue is that the feet don’t have a bottom layer and end up with flatter feet.

i use clippers around the foot and then sand down the foot.

I find it to be more trouble than it is worth.

• Like 3

I don't remove the broccoli bases very often. Usually I put the mini in another base and blend the broccoli base in. When I have removed the base I use my Dremel and/or a jewelers saw.

• Like 4

If it's a natural scene you can just flock/greenstuff/debris over the broccoli to blend it into your new base.  For bonesium, side cutters or "nippy" cutters work very well.  An xacto blade or scalpel can suffice too (careful!), with the added bonus of being able to cut down into the broccoli so that you don't get the flat feet that the Hunter mentioned.

• Like 2

Well I use a mini/jewelers saw to cut, and underneath the feet if I can get away with it, than drill pins into the feet. For the bases I use privateer press's round bases, and have recently fell in luv with their deep bases, also great to use if you decide not to cut the broccoli off. One of these days gonna try some reaper's bases in the sizes privateer press don't make.

• Like 1

The one that I specifically am looking to to rebase first is #02547, Logar the Executioner as he came in 3 pieces and my son has been wanting it done since he painted him last year ..

But it seems like he would be best suited on a wooden platform, so hiding the built-in base would be hard(ish)

I shall adding a new dremel to the wish-list for when the budget gets fixed ( I might have attempted wood cutting with my dremel and burned the motor out last fall ) and continue listening to him ask when I'm going to do it every other week or so :D

If I want to debase a miniature, I just tell it what a worthless piece of slag it is and that the miniature standing next to it is a much cooler sculpt. ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, alchemist said:

If I want to debase a miniature, I just tell it what a worthless piece of slag it is and that the miniature standing next to it is a much cooler sculpt. ::P:

Almost went there.  Glad someone picked up the baton for me.

• Like 2

I've tried saws, dremels, exactos.  After all of it, my go to has become my Xuron flush cutter.  It's been the best for clipping off plastic and metal bases cheaply, easily, quietly and cleanly.  Around the feet and then the leftover under the feet.  With a bit of sanding to finish it off, if needed.  Sometimes the feet of metal ones will twist a little when first clipping off the base, but that's easily remedied with the help of pliers to reposition.

How about adding putty or greenstuff to the base, then either drawing freehand or sculpting in the wooden planks?