Sign in to follow this  
jonaas33

Minotaur 77013

Painted up this minotaur over the weekend for an upcoming adventure. I might go back and add some highlights in the future, but I've been pressed for time lately and have just been trying to churn figs out. 

His eyes are supposed to be plain white, he's a blind minotaur working for a Rakshasa that steals eyesight from unlucky adventurers.  He'll be using those big weapons to chop veggies and prepare a meal for the Rakshasa, but if the party can't sneak through the kitchen they may end up on the menu.

Critiques and advice welcome as always!  Please note that I'm not even going to attempt making a base for this one.  I'm not confident enough in my painting yet, and want to get that down before I move on the next step of building up those cool bases that I see all over these forums. Thanks in advance!

20180321_082409.jpg

20180321_082323.jpg

20180321_082232.jpg

20180321_082149.jpg

• Like 20

Nicely done, should be a nice addition to your game and I really like the story behind him.

As for basing a couple things: 1) There's absolutely nothing wrong with not doing a base. At the end of the day we are all painting for ourselves (unless getting a commission). So, no need to explain or worry about the lack of a different base. As a fellow beginning painter I completely understand and sometimes its nice just to get a mini done and move onto the next one.

2) That said, I will tell you that there are actually some pretty easy things that you can do with bases if you are interested, so much so that in many respects its actually easier (at least for a simple base) than the actual mini painting. A piece of cork, some watered down glue, primer, base coat and several dry brush layers can make a really easy, and good looking rock base for instance. Add in a couple of tuffs and it starts to look really decent. The base can frequently be painted up in an hour or so (and I'm old and slow). Granted, that's a pretty simple base, but it does make the figure pop. But, as I also said, nothing wrong with not basing, I have a number that I haven't bothered to base at all. Mostly when I do base, its just for the experience of basing, etc.

3) Don't be afraid to try new things. New techniques will, of course, not look great your first time out, but it will actually help you with some of your other techniques as well. Again, nothing wrong with not branching out, this is just more of an encouragement, you've done a good job here already and you should be proud of that. The worst thing we can probably do to ourselves is to try to achieve perfection on something before moving onto the next thing.

And yeah, this is very much easier said than done (as I am living proof of). lol

Again though, the big takeaway here: You did a great job! Keep posting and keep at it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He looks great! I also love the green and gold color scheme for his clothes and armor, it works well with the background of his former adventuring life. Poor guy, demoted to kitchen duty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice job!  The green/gold coloration works very well!  I agree with you on the basing, I need to work on that as well.  One step at a time.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Gargs said:

A piece of cork, some watered down glue, primer, base coat and several dry brush layers can make a really easy, and good looking rock base for instance. Add in a couple of tuffs and it starts to look really decent. The base can frequently be painted up in an hour or so (and I'm old and slow). Granted, that's a pretty simple base, but it does make the figure pop. But, as I also said, nothing wrong with not basing, I have a number that I haven't bothered to base at all. Mostly when I do base, its just for the experience of basing, etc.

Thank you for the advice!  The cork seems like really simple but effective idea.  I might tinker with it when I get myself caught up on painting (if that will ever happen!) or if I have a spare hour or two on a weekend (slightly more likely).

21 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

Looks good. I would recommend working on your highlighting next in your progression.

I've tried highlighting a few times, mostly to terrible or middling effect.  I know it's supposed to make parts of the fig pop, but it has usually just made it look like it has extra paint smeared around on it.  I'll keep working on it though!

21 hours ago, TheMandolin said:

He looks great! I also love the green and gold color scheme for his clothes and armor, it works well with the background of his former adventuring life. Poor guy, demoted to kitchen duty.

Hey, a job is a job!  Probably better than wandering around in a labyrinth!

• Like 3

For whatever reason, highlights tend to give me issues too -- mostly with the blending aspect. That said, there's no better teacher than practice. I know a lot of people use two brush blending, which, when you get it down (I haven't) can make for really beautiful blends. Others go with the numerous thin layers to work their blends up. Then there's always the quick and dirty dry brush technique. None of these are wrong so long as you are enjoying the process. 

The best thing is to just keep at it and watching as you slowly progress. Every so often I'll look at a mini (or more usually, a part of a mini) and go "Wow, I actually really like how that turned out!" The other thing I've heard about highlighting, and which its taking me a long time to wrap around, is that you can usually go even further with the contrast. Of course, that also requires good blending, but that is a different issue. Finally, feel free to keep posting and asking questions. The people here are absolutely amazing. I've never seen an unkind word and everyone here genuinely likes to help out.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good work, really like the color selection!

My recommendation would be to pick one aspect of your painting that you want to improve and then with each mini focus on that aspect until you are sufficiently happy. 

But most importantly, make sure you're having fun while you're doing it or it defeats the whole purpose!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1