Geoff Davis

DSM3103 Glenraven female rogue with sword and dagger

Holy smokes, the reflections on those blades are amazing!

I like the sad look in her eyes, and the gentle ombre shading. Her hair and her cloak look just lovely.

• Thanks 1

This is excellent work!

Awesome work on those blades!

One little nitpicking..touch up the rim of the base.

Some paint has flaked off there.

It does distract a little.

Aside from that, competition winner piece!

• Thanks 1

On 22/03/2018 at 6:15 AM, Glitterwolf said:

One little nitpicking..touch up the rim of the base.

Some paint has flaked off there.

It does distract a little.

I agree.  I am still not thinking about bases when I start a project and it causes me a lot of problems.  I based her on a roughly cut piece of thin plywood and didn't it well enough before gluing her on.  I've repainted it several times but every time I touch the base the paint rubs off the ends of the rough wooden splinters.  I'm going to have to live with it unfortunately.  It's a painful lesson and I will probably make the mistake again.  In fact I know I've made the mistake again already as there are badly based minis still waiting on my shelf of shame.

Thanks everyone for your positive comments.  I am working hard to improve.

• Like 4

She is LOVELYWONDERFULLY painted in a BEAUTIFUL array of colors. As a basing nut I am fascinated by the way you did your base; it is unique & very well craft piece. VERY WELL DONE!

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Geoff Davis said:

I agree.  I am still not thinking about bases when I start a project and it causes me a lot of problems.  I based her on a roughly cut piece of thin plywood and didn't it well enough before gluing her on.  I've repainted it several times but every time I touch the base the paint rubs off the ends of the rough wooden splinters.  I'm going to have to live with it unfortunately.  It's a painful lesson and I will probably make the mistake again.  In fact I know I've made the mistake again already as there are badly based minis still waiting on my shelf of shame.

Thanks everyone for your positive comments.  I am working hard to improve.

Just put some brush on sealer on the base as well.

It will protect it

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      While I was sick, I was painting some stuff that wouldn't stress me out. I am not all that into cherubs and the like, but Sir Cyr's mom will love this little guy. I used him to practice painting pale colors (pillow and wings). Not totally happy with the wings, but whatever. He's about 1/2 the size of a standard figure, being a seated kid. I was having trouble with photos today. So.... meh. Whatever on that! 

• By Cyradis
      This little guy is going to a friend. The example on the Dark Sword website has his hat as a weird helmet and the dagger as metal. I saw the hat as a silly hat, and the dagger as a pair of porcupine quills. 
      I attempted to get the fur/prickles roughly accurate for a hedgehog, which means that the back has really severe shading - the base is dark on their prickles, but with pale tips. I also freehanded a little slogan on the hat strap. 

Oh! And his knapsack strap only extends across his front. No cloak for it to be under in the back.... and there was no strap. So I attempted to green-stuff a back strap for his bags so that it made sense. 

He was fun and cute. 

• By Geoff Davis
      So when my PC found a magic torch, of course I had to have a new miniature for her.  This was for the same character I posted as Hosilla earlier.   Hosilla converted to archer.  She eventually came to a bad end... as I will show you shortly.

• By Geoff Davis
      Darksword GlenRaven - Female Rogue with Sword and Dagger  DSM3103 Dennis Mize.

Any comments, criticism or suggestions will be gratefully accepted. 

Continuing with my exploration of lighting, I have retrieved GlenRaven from my shelf of shame and I am sending her striding across a grassy knoll at sunset.  I had already added the skirt a few years ago when experimenting with greenstuff.  First step in rescuing her was to repair the base (I previously tried and failed to remove her) and build a slight hill. 

Next I marked where I wanted the light to be coming from.  The top of the arrow on the cork is aligned with a mark on her base.  When I have visually lined up the mark and the arrow, I am looking at her from the lighted direction, which I find helps me be more consistent with light direction. 

Then I marked the shadow position the same way.

And viewed from the front you can see where I have marked all the shadows in a first coat of walnut brown.  I also did a very light wash of oxford blue to bring out some of the fine details.

Then the eyes, which were very tough to paint.  I'm not totally happy with them and may yet repaint them.  They are far too big and incorporate both the sculpted eye and her upped cheek.  I am finding them very hard to get at.

I made lots of progress on the colours tonight.  I have added the deepest shadows on the back of the cloak and the back of her hair.  I've highlighted the skirt and boots, but I think they need to be brighter and yellower.  I haven't yet shaded/highlighted the flesh tones because I want them to match the colour and brightness of the other lighted areas when the sunset colours are added in.

• Who's Online   47 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)