knarthex

The plane we loved to see over us in 1984-1986

The original F-16 of the 70s was purely fly-by-wire, wasn't it, and had the Vulcan cannon from the get go? 

The computer added in the 80s was for ground collision avoidance, I always thought. 

I'm not an aircraft guru,  so you're most likely better informed than I am :)

• Like 1

You need some sort of controller on the F-16 because it's an inherently unstable design. 

Up uptil Block 40/42 it was an analog box, then it was replaced by a computer. 

(Had to google when this happened) 

Block 40 planes went into service in 1988 so i8085 CPU would match up nicely considering the complexity of the SW.

I can't imagine that  a digital computer from that time would perfectly emulate the analog solution it replaced. And a small deviation on a plane's heading will result in a big difference in the target area. 

• Like 2

Heh, I was looking at the old computer game Crimson Skies today, and realized something.

When the hero gets awarded a brand new, top of the line, performance fighter, I give it to one of the NPC pilots.

What I use myself is the Peacemaker - a slow, armored, heavy gunned pig of a plane.

The computer AI can handle the performance fighter just fine, but it sucks at tearing up ground targets....

What I realized is that I pretty much use the Peacemaker as an A10. ::P:

B-R-R-R-R-T!

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

Out in boise idaho you'll still see a pair or 4 drifting along now and then ... love seeing them still flying ... a local museum has there main gun along one wall, all of one wall ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, etherial said:

The new movie Rampage features an A-10 in action.

Such a pity the sound for the gun was so terrible - at least in the trailer anyways.  Here's hoping the sound guy did his job I nether real thing. 

(being highly into sound stuff as a hobby, that trailer was so disappointing, at least that part, because an A10's gun is sooooooooo iconic) 

Edit: so iconic of a sound that not having it sound proper in the trailer is worse than how pretty much every helicopter in movies sounds like a Bell U47 despite usually being a Twin Huey, Kiowa, or other light utility helicopter from Bell with a single or twin engine.  Turboshaft engines have a very peculiar sound to then (especially the twins), as anyone who has Bell helicopters fly around them on a regular basis will attest to.  Same thing with Eurocopter Astars as those can be readily heard quite some distance away (Stars in the area uses Astars mainly) and have a very obvious sound to them... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe

A10 to the front ... air Force is not their biggest fan until you need them,then it's all about the big flying gun ...

A10toTheFrontPlz.png.6342dcf7eab139f17fc81a78bad9f2e6.png

30mm nose gun of the A10 ...

A10mainGun.thumb.jpg.9bd391153d0b04c7bc19f3e9bbf44b79.jpgFatFingerVsA10bullet.thumb.jpg.30dec177e3fcba68015f4931329c8b89.jpg

Article from "war news update" ... my pics from 'Idaho military history museum' ... the pic of the gun dose not do it justice,  look at the bullet below the gun then the pick of bullet and my fat finger ... it's big.