knarthex

The plane we loved to see over us in 1984-1986

The original F-16 of the 70s was purely fly-by-wire, wasn't it, and had the Vulcan cannon from the get go? 

The computer added in the 80s was for ground collision avoidance, I always thought. 

I'm not an aircraft guru,  so you're most likely better informed than I am :)

• Like 1

You need some sort of controller on the F-16 because it's an inherently unstable design. 

Up uptil Block 40/42 it was an analog box, then it was replaced by a computer. 

(Had to google when this happened) 

Block 40 planes went into service in 1988 so i8085 CPU would match up nicely considering the complexity of the SW.

I can't imagine that  a digital computer from that time would perfectly emulate the analog solution it replaced. And a small deviation on a plane's heading will result in a big difference in the target area. 

• Like 2

Heh, I was looking at the old computer game Crimson Skies today, and realized something.

When the hero gets awarded a brand new, top of the line, performance fighter, I give it to one of the NPC pilots.

What I use myself is the Peacemaker - a slow, armored, heavy gunned pig of a plane.

The computer AI can handle the performance fighter just fine, but it sucks at tearing up ground targets....

What I realized is that I pretty much use the Peacemaker as an A10. ::P:

B-R-R-R-R-T!

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

Out in boise idaho you'll still see a pair or 4 drifting along now and then ... love seeing them still flying ... a local museum has there main gun along one wall, all of one wall ...

• Like 1