For those of you who might not know, I like shiny metallic paints a tiny bit. Just a little. As in I currently own over 50 20 different metallic paint colors (plus a few metallic inks and a new metallic wash I'm dying to try out), and I painted an entire cat-sized dragon using only metallic paints. So yeah, I'm kinda sorta IN LOVE with shiny paints. :wub: :wub: :wub:

While re-organizing my paints the other day, I realized that I have a lot of shiny paints I haven't played with yet, and lots of fun wacky techniques I haven't fully explored with the rest. So, one purpose of this little thread will be to document my metallic paint experiments FOR SCIENCE (and totally not so I can infect everyone else with 'Must Have All The Shiny' syndrome, not at all :ik_oops: ).

The primary reason I started this thread, though, is because I want to invite y'all to toss questions and suggestions at me about attempting new and different (or even just tried and true) things with metallic paints, since I'm only one person and can only come up with so many ideas on my own. Like let's say you're curious how Reaper's Blade Steel will respond to drying retarder, or layering over two different metallics, or mixed with ink, etc. If you have a crazy idea, I'd love to hear it! Because crazy is where the fun is! :bday:

To make requests easier, here's a brief summary what I currently own (will be updated as needed):

• All the Reaper metallic paints. Yes, even that one. (there may be a couple OOP I don't know about that I don't own, but I have all the ones I'm aware of)
  • All of the P3 (Privateer Press) metallic paints
  • Several Scale75 colored metallic paints
  • Vallejo Metal Medium (basically liquid shiny in a bottle. I mix this with lots of things!)
  • Secret Weapon's Golden Brown metallic wash (I'm really excited to play with this!)
  • 3 Liquitex metallic inks (gold, silver, copper)

I am open to acquiring new paints to experiment with, to a certain degree; I don't have the funds to go buy an entire new paint line, for example, but I could purchase a couple bottles to try out. :)

LIST OF EXPERIMENTS

1) Secret Weapon's Golden Brown metallic wash

2) Attempting to make pink armor from Breast Cancer Awareness Pink

NOTE: Unless otherwise stated, all paints used are from Reaper.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
Forgot a link
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Nice!

IMHO the metallics from Scale 75 are the best on the market at the moment.

• Like 2

You may want to look at GreenStuffWorld's 'Chameleon' paints, also...

(These are mostly for airbrushing, though, but supposedly usable with a brush if you do very thin layers. I couldn't get it to work with a brush, though. )

Also, yeah, Scale75 metallics are nice... real nice...

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 2

A metallic wash you say?

*Pulls up chair.*

Tell me more.  :)

I'd be interested in seeing how the colored metallics (i.e. blues and reds, etc., not just silvers/golds/brass/etc.) look. They always seem so interesting, but I'm also always hesitant to spend my limited surplus funds on them when I'm still building up my paint/supplies collection. 

Edit: And yeah, the Scale 75 stuff looks really interesting, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on those.

Edited by Gargs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Title made me think you were experimenting with gloss paints instead of metallic :poke:

Hmm...

What is your take on demimetallics? Mixing a normal paint and a metallic - yay/nay/.... what situations?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you have any BCA Pink? Curious how it would mix with metallic medium. Tried making a demimetallic with it once and it either got lost in the other pigment or completely overpowered the metallic-ness of the mix.

Needs some pink armors.

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

IMHO the metallics from Scale 75 are the best on the market at the moment.

7 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

You may want to look at GreenStuffWorld's 'Chameleon' paints, also...

(These are mostly for airbrushing, though, but supposedly usable with a brush if you do very thin layers. I couldn't get it to work with a brush, though. )

Also, yeah, Scale75 metallics are nice... real nice...

I actually have a few Scale75 'Metal and Alchemy' paints coming my way. :) A blue, purple, red, pinkish and white metallic to be precise, since those are all colors I could use more of! 

The Chameleon paints are next on my to-try list! They look full of witchcraft and magic and crazy awesome tricks. :bday:

5 hours ago, Gargs said:

A metallic wash you say?

*Pulls up chair.*

Tell me more.  :)

I'd be interested in seeing how the colored metallics (i.e. blues and reds, etc., not just silvers/golds/brass/etc.) look. They always seem so interesting, but I'm also always hesitant to spend my limited surplus funds on them when I'm still building up my paint/supplies collection. 

Yep, at least that's what the bottle says! Since you were the first to make a request, that's what I'll try out first. ^_^

I'll do a separate post on colored metallics once my new Scale75 ones arrive, so I'll have more options to play with. I'll also show you how you can make your own colored metallics! :bday: Yes it takes longer and requires some experimenting since each normal/metallic paint combo will react a bit differently, but it's easier on the budget and opens up a world of possibilities! 

5 hours ago, Cyradis said:

What is your take on demimetallics? Mixing a normal paint and a metallic - yay/nay/.... what situations?

ABSOLUTELY! :bday: Oh, I could do a whole thread about this, there are an infinite number of fun things you can do with just mixing a normal and a metallic paint together! Some combinations may not play nicely together due to the properties of either paint, but the ones that do you can get anywhere from a slightly dulled metallic look to a slightly shimmery fabric. I've got the perfect mini to use for this, she's got a lot of lovely dress fabric to experiment on. :D

Good places to use it...well, anywhere you want a bit of shine, but not an obvious "I'm a shiny metal surface" look. I mentioned fabric, but also perhaps a shadowed metallic area, or to give the impression of iridescence maybe? I've barely scratched the surface of demimetallics, so I'll need to do lots more experimenting to figure out what it's good for. I'm not an expert here, I just play one on TV. :lol:

4 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Do you have any BCA Pink? Curious how it would mix with metallic medium. Tried making a demimetallic with it once and it either got lost in the other pigment or completely overpowered the metallic-ness of the mix.

Needs some pink armors.

I do indeed! I'll give that a go after I try out the SW golden brown wash. In the meantime, something to try would be to paint the pink on, then do a veeery thin layer of a light silver over it (the Bones metallics are particularly good for this). I use either Reaper's Wash Medium or Brush-on Sealer to thin my metallics with, depending on how thick the paint is. I'll demo this method as well, it's not anywhere near as tricky as I'm probably making it sound. :)

Whew, lots of talking I know, but I promise pictures next post! :D

Huzzah!       

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 6

The War Colour metallics are also very nice.  Also a company named Darkstar makes a set called Molten Metals.  They are also very nice.  I've brought both with me to ReaperCon each year but no one seemed interested in them ....

• Like 2

I was going to mention those Liquitex interference paints...  I keep meaning to try some but I haven't got a specific idea on what to do with it.  

• Like 1

Vallejo has metallic medium to mix with normal paints.

Also keep in mind to pierce the tip of the Scale 75 bottles, these come closed.

This is also true for any Andrea paints.

• Like 2

Nothing to add to your list of experiments right now, but I will be watching this thread. 

I'm also really interested in the chameleon paints (some colors seem to have the color shifting effects much more than others, and I have seen it applied with a brush on youtube. Airbrush seems to be the more common and easier route with those though).

And I'm also interested in the Scale 75 colors. I might need some of those, I keep mixing my Vallejo Metallics to get the colors for black-ish, blue-ish and green-ish armor all the time.

Oh, and also, if you might make some direct comparison pictures of the different brand metallics you use, that's always super helpful imho.

• Like 2

I love metallic paints! I have had some success with demi metallics. This is going to be a fun thread. At some point I have to acquire some Scale 75 metallics and the Vallejo Metal Medium. Have you experimented with any of the Pearl EX powders on minis?  They have some interference powders that I have considered getting to play with.

• Like 1