1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Yay, I'm so glad you're finding this thread helpful! ::D: Bear in mind that what you see in the picture is Clear Magenta mixed with Vallejo metal medium, not just the Clear Magenta by itself. If you don't have metal medium, don't worry! I will be trying a couple of Reaper metallics next to see if I can get similar or better results. ^_^

Lol, I immediately ordered a bottle of the medium after reading your post. 

• Like 1

Lets see a quick test:

Spoiler

IMAG0165.jpg.e45363eae47387a1c037bd8f329353a6.jpgIMAG0159.jpg.178e214a5af75a257571dbe07dfc7574.jpg

There is a difference between the titanium and the the zinc, but I would need to experiment with the ratios and see how it looks on the miniature. It is important to note that zinc white is transparent, and therefore has terrible coverage (I diluted my titanium white heavily). On the bottom part of each sample I glazed it with the medium, this gave the best results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Yay science! ::D: I love all the photos!

EyRHA.jpg.9724842c9336e551d806662a6660f891.jpg

One Boot is doing the universe - or at least the painters of the universe - or maybe just the painters of the Reaper Forums... okay, the painters of the Reaper Forums who use metallic paints and not NMM - well... maybe...

ill-come-in-again.jpg.875ac521603d0b23f19e5d019d127e25.jpg

(seriously, this thread is so cool)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

18 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

Hmm..
I wonder how zinc white would work with metalics. I will go and test it now!

Huzzah! I'm glad to see someone else experimenting! :bday:

Your results are quite interesting! I've never worked with artist paints before (I think that's the correct term), but it looks like you can do some pretty cool tricks with them. Thank you for sharing with us! ^_^

@Pingo and @DragonWyrm as cool and fascinating as the discussion of white artist paints is, it's a bit outside the scope of this particular thread. So I created a new thread just for that topic: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80499-split-discussion-of-white-artist-paints/

Please feel free to continue the interesting discussion there! ^_^

10 hours ago, izzylobo said:

EyRHA.jpg.9724842c9336e551d806662a6660f891.jpg

Mr. Savage speaks truly. ::D: 

I'm glad to hear people are finding this wacky little thread useful! :blush:

Huzzah!       

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 11

Ya know the first time I saw this thread I thought it was "OneBoot Experiments with Shiny Pants" ... wrong and right at the same time ... 

I don't even have a follow up ... 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Boaz said:

Ya know the first time I saw this thread I thought it was "OneBoot Experiments with Shiny Pants" ... wrong and right at the same time ... 

I don't even have a follow up ... 

And now, presenting OneBoot on the catwalk wearing... SHINY PANTS! 

il_570xN.811863415_lep0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

I...uh......have nothing to add to the above posts. :blink: Moving on! 

I didn't have any time to paint over the weekend, but I got a little bit earlier today. Some of the best results so far, too!

First I painted both the right arm and mace with a couple coats of BCAP. Then, I drybrushed Shining Mithril over the arm, and Metal Medium over the mace:

9ae84t5l.jpg

cEDttxql.jpg

Since the results didn't photograph very well (a constant struggle with metallic paints), I shall use words to paint you a picture instead. :upside: The Shining Mithril (on the right arm) seems to have some actual white in it, since it lightened up the BCAP basecoat quite a bit. It looks like I just drybrushed white over the BCAP, except it's a shiny white. I didn't try Pearl white, but I imagine the effect would have been even more pronounced. I think that could make for a really neat effect if done over a darker color than pink.

The Metal medium (on the mace), though, just keeps being awesome! Drybrushing, even after a couple of passes, preserved the BCAP color perfectly while also making it SHINY! :bday: I know it looks white in the pictures too, but trust me, that's just because of the way the light is playing off of the shine. So far, this combination looks like a winner! :bday:

Just for fun, I also decided to try a little Prom Night Pink on their left shoulders to see how it compares to the other things we've tried:

RewtrdQl.jpg

It...looks quite a bit like the Clear red + Metal medium combination on the lizards' right leg. Suspiciously so....

ffJwfhrl.jpg

Hm....interesting! :ik_oops:

The biggest difference is that the Prom night pink is even brighter than the Clear red mixture, and more of a pearlescent sheen than an outright shiny. If you wanted quick pink armor and didn't want to mess around with mixing stuff together, I think this could work fine. It is a VERY hot pink, though. :lol: My bottle is also a bit on the thin side; I did 3 unthinned coats on the darker lizard, and the dark basecoat still shows through in spots. Something to bear in mind.

I'm starting to run out of lizard surface area, lol, so the last things I will demo are glazing Metal medium over BCAP, glazing Blade Steel over BCAP, and as @Paradoxical Mouse suggested, mixing BCAP and Metal medium and thinning it with Wash Medium. After that, unless there's anything else people would like me to try regarding pink and metallic, I think I will be satisfied with calling this a successful experiment and moving on to something different. ::):

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 11

*Sigh* Looks like I'm going to have to look for Metal Medium somewhere. :P

Sadly, Vallejo is not well stocked in my area. There's a very tiny selection at the local Hobby Lobby but not sure they have the metal medium, usually just the different varnishes and a few colors in the model colors line.

• Sad 2

Vallejo is not stocked at all in my area. I got my Metal Medium from Amazon.  I've played with it just a little and it is a lot of fun so far.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flit said:

Vallejo is not stocked at all in my area. I got my Metal Medium from Amazon.  I've played with it just a little and it is a lot of fun so far.

Yeah there are places to buy it online, but that's when I get cheap and see the markup (either in the base price with "free" shipping included, or having to pay for shipping). It just annoys me to pay so much more for something. :p Usually what I'll end up doing is finding someone whose prices are actually good but for having to pay for shipping, and just buy a decent amount of stuff so that the shipping charge is dispersed throughout. Miniature Market is pretty good for that sort of thing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gargs said:

*Sigh* Looks like I'm going to have to look for Metal Medium somewhere. :P

Sadly, Vallejo is not well stocked in my area. There's a very tiny selection at the local Hobby Lobby but not sure they have the metal medium, usually just the different varnishes and a few colors in the model colors line.

There's a couple other Reaper metallics I could try if that would help. Blade steel is one of them, but I can try any others you're interested in. I also have all of the P3 metallic paints, and I haven't tried any of those yet! :) 

Huzzah!       

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

There's a couple other Reaper metallics I could try if that would help. Blade steel is one of them, but I can try any others you're interested in. I also have all of the P3 metallic paints, and I haven't tried any of those yet! :) 

Huzzah!       

Heh, no need on that count OneBoot. It was more me seeing how cool the metal medium is and how its very versatile. I probably should have written my post in purple as it was meant as "I'm going to be getting it, its just a matter of when and where". 

As for the P3 Metallics, I love them too, and actually use them more than the Reaper in part because the Reaper bottles tend to clog on the metallics for me but also because the P3's are so beautiful! The only P3 metallic I don't have is Deathless Metal, so if you do have that, I wouldn't mind seeing it, but in all honesty, I'll be picking that up at some point anyway. :)

• Like 2

@Flit

Hobby Lobby in Fort Smith has some Vallejo.

I came looking for the shiny pants, but I guess I'll have to settle for the paints. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4