Benwlundy

My First Miniature!

Maybe give the chain mail a wash, to make it pop a bit?

Also, the colour of the cape could have been different. As it is, he's a bit 'Sir Dullard the Grey'.

The shield and belts looks good.  

My advice? 

Put it up on a shelf, then get another one in a year and do a fresh attempt on that. It'll show you how much you've progressed since then, also.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice!

I agree with Gadgetman paint a similar mini in a year and you will be surprised.

Also weathering on cloaks/ clothing.

At this scale you need to keep it subtle or it will look off.

Most people dirty up the bottom of a cloak/cape with a little muddy colour.

Also on boots etc.

That is good enough to show that the mini has seen action.

A little dried blood on a weapon/shield maybe.

Just not too much keep it subtle.

Most important thing HAVE FUN!

• Like 7

Your placement of the gold, red and green paint shows rapidly improving brush control and is a very good sign that you have the potential to be a good painter.  This is a very good start so keep at it.

• Like 4

I think this is great for a first mini. Kudos to you for going right at black and white - probably the 2 most difficult colors to layer/blend with.

As has been said before, you show some good brush control - the techniques will come in time, but the brush control will help with just about every skill.

• Like 6

Yeah! I could see him on a table top! Well done.

• Like 3

As your first miniature, looks very promising. You already have (as everyone said) good control of the brush, and that's something either you have or you don't: I have friends who also started painting and they struggle a lot to achieve a precision you already seem to have. 

About your blacks, I will pass an advice I myself recieved here on this forum not long ago: highlight blacks is hard, and you will probably achieve better results using other colors than grey. Let's say blue - my choice - or purple, or green. Maybe even brown. Of course in grey it looks a bit more dusty, worn out, and since it's what you were looking for, it's still a good choice on that particular miniature. 

• Like 6

Yeah I'm definitely jealous of your brush control. :) 

This is a really good start and as others have said, you should keep this guy around as is (unless there's something quick you want to touch up) and just save him for a year or so and then see how far you have come. I know from personal experience that while I am anything but a great painter, I have come a long way from when I first started. Now if only I could get my brush (i.e. my hands) to stay still . . . 

• Like 4

I sure appreciate everyone's input and encouragement...I like the idea of doing him again in a year or two...I've done that with big pieces...this miniature thing is a whole different animal than the larger scale modeling I've done, but I truly am loving it, and everyone in this hobby has been really awesome! Thanks everyone!

Ben

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Benwlundy said:

I sure appreciate everyone's input and encouragement...I like the idea of doing him again in a year or two...I've done that with big pieces...this miniature thing is a whole different animal than the larger scale modeling I've done, but I truly am loving it, and everyone in this hobby has been really awesome! Thanks everyone!

Ben

We're also not agains seeing a few large scale models.

I for one also paint busts an 54mm lots of people do that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

We're also not agains seeing a few large scale models.

I for one also paint busts an 54mm lots of people do that.

Oh I'm talking 1:8 and 1:6 scale stuff as being my comfort zone...1:12 at the very smallest...until now! I was actually doing some effects painting on some small statues for an old abandoned abbey for a 1:8 scale Grim Reaper/Plague Doctor diorama I'm working on, when the light bulb went off above my head that I'd like to try some miniatures!

Ben

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I assume that you haven't seen the 'The Mother of Dragons' Kickstarter by Kabuki Studios, then... 

You assume correctly! Never even heard of it! Looks cool, though..

Thanks

Ben

• Like 2

Very good job for your first miniature. Definitely follow some of the excellent advice that the others have given you.

Also, remember he most important thing---if you're having fun, you're doing it right.

• Like 2