Crowley

Crowley's Stone Giant

Since I’m playing in the Storm King’s Thunder campaign on Wednesdays, I’ve been inspired to work on one of the few giants I have in my collection, the Bone 2 Stone Giant from Expansion Set #1.

As usual, I started by scrubbing him with a toothbrush and warm soapy water. His club arm fell off, and the glue holding in his other arm wasn’t looking so good either. If anything, it seemed more like rubber cement than the super glue I’m used to. I removed the arm, cleaned off the glue residue from all parts, and then glued him back together.

_20180322_225310.thumb.JPG.f14c8e58d2488532f878eed9d7959de1.JPG

I don’t have a lot of WiP pictures, but I started with a base of Grey Liner, and then added increasing amounts of Stone Grey, then Linen White to get it to this stage of the skin. I used the same colors for the eyes. A touch of Monster Maw was used for the lower lip, and the bags under his eyes.

IMG_20180321_201336.thumb.jpg.2b1c8f8451941d1b1847ac7bbf02613a.jpg

The club was painted with a heavy brush of Redstone Shadow over the liner. The loin cloth, belt, and straps were painted with Rich Leather.

_20180321_215517.thumb.JPG.7e39e39a982ed85dff8966a62562eba7.JPG

All of this was done in about 100 minutes (the runtime of Ant-Man).

_20180322_225126.thumb.JPG.35735ba714f43e64356d7b6a5da5cac1.JPG

One thing that’s kept me away from painting big minis is the fact that I have little space to display them, or store them. They tend to have pretty big footprints (bases). This guy, while tall, isn’t really bulky. However he really should be on a 3” base… I’m thinking about magnetizing him, so he can pop off the base for storage.

• Like 19

Nice!

So eehh how does PUI works out for you?

Painting Under Influence?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

Looks good.

How's the Ale??

Thanks! It's good for an IPA. Not to hoppy.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nice!

So eehh how does PUI works out for you?

Painting Under Influence?

Thanks, and I'd say it works out okay...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

That's a pretty good start for a little over an hour and a half!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 4:26 AM, Crowley said:

Thanks! It's good for an IPA. Not to hoppy.

Thanks, and I'd say it works out okay...

Best painting at one beer in or two? I do best homework on a single glass of wine, but painting probably a single 4-6% alcohol beer. Easier to paint with alcohol than caffeine for me though! 

Also.... I **must** ask.... 

What type of stone is your giant? ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

_20180321_215517.JPG

Questions can move mountains ...

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's a pretty good start for a little over an hour and a half!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The beer didn't get too skunky?

Nope! I don't think I'll let it sit around too long though, just in case... 

21 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Best painting at one beer in or two? I do best homework on a single glass of wine, but painting probably a single 4-6% alcohol beer. Easier to paint with alcohol than caffeine for me though! 

Also.... I **must** ask.... 

1 beer. If I have 2 I can't concentrate/focus enough. 

Uh... grey stone? As he's rather fleshy looking, I didn't think he was actually made of stone. ::P:

• Like 5

On 3/22/2018 at 8:54 PM, Crowley said:

_20180321_215517.thumb.JPG.7e39e39a982ed85dff8966a62562eba7.JPG

I've seen the expression before.....oh yah Day 4 at a gaming Con!! :lol: 

Great work on a great mini.

On 3/22/2018 at 8:54 PM, Crowley said:

• Haha 3