The unrelenting, swarming, terrifying tide that is known as the Skaven...  Also known as "skrit skrit of death-death to all, but maybe save a few bakers as they make delicious cookies and cupcakes!"

I'm playfully blaming a wolf for this thread, but it's a different one for a change.  This time it was @Chaoswolf! ::P:

This is going to be a looooong project.  Arguably it already is, since most of the initial contents of this army were purchased over a decade ago, but I have a tentative goal in mind of "fully finished by 2020" which gives me a year and eight months to work on it in between all my other projects - a goal I hope I can manage.  It was originally supposed to be assembled six weeks after I purchased the 25th anniversary army box, and then there'd be a campaign, prizes and whatnot, but being stupidly busy with work kind of prevented that from happening back in the day and I wound up backing out of that event/tournament.  Later on, Isle of Blood was added in.  Either way, I've always wanted to have a big, GINORMOUS HORDE OF DOOM, and the Skaven definitely portray such in my eyes ^_^  Always did like their lore, and more importantly, the models, the fluff, and the fact they're murderous, backstabbing buggers!  Eshin has always been my favourite, but Skryre is definitely a close second due to their shiny shiny blasty murder-kill anything in their path.

Why the focus on Pestilens though?  Well, truth be told, any good kill-kill stab-stab from the Skaven is going to be comprised of the various different factions, but the biggest part is that their models are some of the most eye catching to me.  That and I already had a bunch of them, so I figured why not!  Their siege weapons are also rather lovely, at least the Plague Furnace.  I'm still debating about the Plagueclaw, but for now I still plan on having two in there for symmetry and versatility ::P: 

At the moment, I only have about half (or so) the units I'd like to have, but I'll work on acquiring the rest over time.  What do I have right now?  (Spoilers added to be friendlier to mobile users)

Spoiler

- 1x Warlord

- 1x Warlock Engineer

- 1x Grey Seer

- 1x Assassin

- 80x Clanrats (two squads of 40 units)

- 40x Night Runners (two squads of 20 units)

- 40x Plague Monks 

- 10x Plague Censer Bearers

- 10x Poison Wind Globadiers

- 1x Master Moulder

- 3x Packmaster

- 4x Rat Ogres

- 6x 35x Giant Rats (and there's probably more that I haven't counted yet)

- 8x little mini plague monk rat things

- 1x Poisoned Wind Mortar

- 1x Ratling Gun

- 1x Warpfire Thrower

(So....  Assuming I counted correctly, we're talking 201 238 minis)

And what's being added in?

Spoiler

- Clan Pestilens Army (Verminlord Corruptor, 20x Plague Monks, Plague Furnace, and Plagueclaw)

- 1x Start Collecting Skaven (1x Plague Furnace, 1x Plagueclaw, 20x Plague Monks)

- 4x boxes of Plague Monks (2x 40 man squads)

- 1x box of Clanrats (1x 20 man squad)

- 2x boxes of Stormfiends (6x stormfiends total)

- 1x Screaming Bell

- 4x blisters of Warplock Jezzails (12x Jezzails total)

- 2x boxes of Stormvermin (one squad of 40)

- 2x boxes of Plague Censer Bearer (gives an additional 10 to my current guys)

- 10x blisters of Poison Wind Globadiers (gives another 10 guys)

- Another Rat Ogre and Giant rats pack (adds three more packmasters, two more Rat Ogres, and six giant rats)

- 8x Rat Swarm packs (provides 16x rat swarms)

- 3x Doomwheel (because... Spiked rolling rat wheel of doom!)

- 2x Warp lightning Cannon

- 3x more Assassins

- 2x Warp-Grinder Weapon Team

- 3x Ratling Weapon Team

- 2x Doom-Flayer Weapon Team (probably, because I like spinning uncontrollable balls of death)

(So.... about another 243 small models, 2 small siege units, and 11 siege weapons/behemoth added in bringing that to a grand total of 444 481 small units, 2 smaller siege units, and 11 large siege weapons.  It's 454 491 small models total if you factor in the Mordheim models I probably have kicking around somewhere o_O)

Just for my own calculations, I'm writing down in a spoiler what I think will wind up being the entirety of the army...

Spoiler

Leaders:

- Verminlord Corruptor

- Warlord

- Warlock Engineer

- 2x Plague Furnace

- Screaming Bell

- Grey Seer

- 4x Assassins

- 7x Packmaster (Master Moulder apparently isn't an option anymore)

Units:

- 2x 40 mini Clanrats

- 1x 20 mini Clanrats (attached to Screaming Bell)

- 4x 40 mini Plague Monks

- 1x 20 mini Plague Censer Bearers

- 2x 20 mini Night Runners, each with a Warp-Grinder Weapon Team attached

- 1x 6 mini Stormfiends

- 1x 40 mini Stormvermin

- 2x 10 mini Poison Wind Globadier (AoS naming is Skryre Acolytes)

- 1x 6 mini Rat Ogres

- 1x 12 mini Giant Rats (10 by AoS rules, as it goes by fives apparently)

- 2x 8 unit Rat Swarms

Siege Units that aren't quite siege:

- 1x Poisoned Wind Mortar

- 4x Ratling Gun

- 1x Warpfire Thrower

- 2x Doom-Flayer Weapon Team

Actual Siege Units:

- 2x Plagueclaw

- 2x Warp Lightning Cannon

- 3x Doomwheel

...I kind of figured that if I'm going to go in, I'm going to go ALL IN.  Sure, it's technically an army that's illegal to field due to too many leaders (18/8 if you include the on foot Grey Seer, 17 if you don't), and too many behemoths (7/5) with the new AoS rules, but it will give me that nice variety I crave, and flexibility to play in pretty much any size game.  It will also look downright insane on a shelf once it's done I suspect. ^_^  Technically, it's also a 8,940 point army as currently written, but that's just using info from the Warscroll builder, and not making use of any Battalions, which could theoretically change the composition of this army, and have me add (or possibly subtract) models.

Come to think of it, odds are I'll wind up taking a good look through the 9th age's website to get ideas for various other miniatures, because while this is technically an army I might field, I just want a nice, varied horde, and nothing says varied quite like adding in minis from several other companies ^_^   ...Doubly so when some of their miniatures are a lot nicer looking (like say, the Jezzails, or even rat swarms).  For example, Otherworld, Reaper, and Windmaster all have models that can easily fit in ~_^

Now...  No good thread is without pictures, so here's a part of the reason why the next several orders from Reaper are going to have a decent amount of bases in them...

20180323_222905.thumb.jpg.363ffaae0bdfb6af72b71c6be83e6c8b.jpg

^That there is what I've been able to round up so far that isn't still in a sealed box.  At least most are assembled, but there's that one annoying thing...  They're all on 20mm square bases, and Age of Sigmar tends to prefer them being on round bases (most being 25mm, but some being other sizes)... Not to mention the fact i tend to prefer circular bases anyways.  Thankfully, I used superglue for almost all of them, so that will help IMMENSELY.  I'll also be doing up bases for each and every one of them, which is probably going to chew through a decent amount of my various supplies, given that the last time I did up some bases (earlier this week) I chewed through half of the 200g of Magic Sculpt I have (although to be fair, there were 2x 60mm and 16x 25mm bases for my Tau, even if it was just the broken concrete stamp it still uses up a good amount of putty).

I also greatly prefer the nice lip that Reaper's bases have, because it lets me try and have the added in designs be relatively flush with the "expected" height, unless I otherwise plan on having them be higher (like say, for heroes and/or leaders)

20180321_080717.thumb.jpg.81debe065613276734c3ec6f7133c4ec.jpg

20180321_080713.thumb.jpg.8bdc38fa97a4d4ea5c552ed7936114e0.jpg

^ So here we have the bases for what was originally going to be my Censer Bearers, but it turns out those are supposed to be on 32mm bases, so instead these will be for my Poison Wind Globadiers, which rather works out because those haven't been based yet ^_^  ...Happy fox to say the least.

20180321_080347.thumb.jpg.5cd84f2f3d0f90562f073d1522cd0033.jpg

^The top most 40mm base is for my Warlord (which will feature a decent more rubble on top of those cobblestones), while the other two are for two of my Rat Ogres.  The 18x 25mm splintered deck bases are for my Night Runners.  When I make the other 22x bases, I'll make sure to have more raw material so the details don't get squished when stamping.  Most of them turned out alright, but some of them you could tell I didn't have enough and/or really should have had the stamp against something solid instead of my fingertips.

Up first will be the poison wind globadiers.... Once I clear up a bit of room on my cutting mat anyways, I kind of have a bunch of gnolls, kitsunes, and minotaurs taking up that space right now ^_^;;;;;;

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm playfully blaming a wolf for this thread, but it's a different one for a change.  This time it was @Chaoswolf! ::P:

Happy to help!!::D:

• Like 2

On 3/24/2018 at 4:21 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

Always did like their lore, and more importantly, the models, the fluff, and the fact they're murderous, backstabbing buggers!

I agree the skaven really are the "best" and most interesting army. Seeing as I'm currently sitting on quite a few skaven I'll probably be poaching ideas from the thread.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rat13 said:

I agree the skaven really are the "best" and most interesting army. Seeing as I'm currently sitting on quite a few skaven I'll probably be poaching ideas from the thread.

Then I strive to doing my best at providing things that are good for poaching ^_^

• Like 3

While I could start with some of the line troops first, I've been steadily toying around with various thoughts for the Warlord that came with the Isle of Blood starter set, and I then decided that y'know what, since I've already gone and started a base for him, I might as well look into finishing it.  He's snuck into various pictures I've taken the past week or two anyways, so it's time to bring him to the forefront.

Apologies for the somewhat terribly (and inconsistently) cropped pictures, was in a rush this evening after hobbying because I'm rather tired, and REALLY wanted to update this thread (wound up working on two different armies tonight).  Also apologies for the glue still being wet, I suspect it will take a while to finish drying.

P1000849.thumb.JPG.624a891d5738f48224120c7fbc59aebc.JPG

^General overview of how he currently looks

P1000850.thumb.JPG.56d7eedb369e5bb6c2ee623f68fc988e.JPGP1000851.thumb.JPG.128b2c5c8b952da392ea2bf3f1c37367.JPG

^Somewhat better pictures.

In essence, while I did like the rubble he was standing on, I wanted it to look somewhat like he'd just broken out of some sort of rather recently demolished building, and his default base felt somewhat lacking to me.. . It felt more like a podium, which doesn't seem like much of a manthing-killer kind of thing.  Started with a four type mix of Woodland Scenics stuff (exact ones not quite known, as I bought like over ten years ago, then put them into dollar store ziplock bags, and they're now in plastic containers from the dollar store, but it's a mix of grey, brown, and two sizes of black) sprinkled over some of the base, and I wasn't quite feeling it...  So I looked over and went "oooh, cork rubble from GSW, sure why not give that a whirl!"...  Then I didn't like the gaps, so I then used my what I strongly suspect is mix of various ballast types from Woodland Scenics to add more rubble into the mix, and I'm liking it a whole lot more.  Glue's still drying as I write this, but I'm definitely DEFINITELY liking it.

Hubby rather liked it, and said something along the lines of how it looks awesome.  Uh oh, I've created a monster, because now when I base his minis he'll be expecting the same, or better! ::P: :wub:

I'd originally had the thought of having a second piece of cork with some sort of layer on it of from the Dark Runes roller by GSW, but I'm thinking if I go ahead with that I'll wind up making it by itself on a sheet of wax paper using either Magic Sculpt or Apoxie Sculpt, letting it cure, breaking it apart, and then adding it in...  Assuming I feel it won't take away from things.

Oh, and why I wound up covering up most of the small cobblestone that had been rolled onto his base originally?  Truth be told, I didn't quite like how it had turned out, since I hadn't used enough vaseline and it wound up tugging in several places, but on the flipside, it can still be seen through the rubble, so I'm happy about that ^_^ 

Oh, and yes, those mould lines are on the list to take care of, haven't gotten too far on those on him yet since when I'd first assembled him (about ten years ago) I didn't take the time to clean them...

• Like 13

Nice start!

I love seeing new armies developing!

Although the downside is that I mostly end up wanting to create one as well..

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nice start!

I love seeing new armies developing!

Although the downside is that I mostly end up wanting to create one as well..

Ohhhh, wait until I get my paws on some Doomwheels, and the other siege weaponry.  I playfully argue that those are what bring the Skaven to the light...  Err, well, at least take over the spotlight. ::P:  Such things won't be for a while though, as I haven't purchased them, and I want to get through at least some of the current backlog first ^_^

5ac3790d85fb5_SkavenWarlordApr3morning.thumb.jpg.46da7316cbe217e3a870e8a0321af57a.jpg

^Base is looking a lot nicer now that the glue has dried!  Sure, after priming I'll lose the various colours that the four different types have, but I used the four different types mainly because of different grain sizes and shapes anyways.  Basic footwork of this base I'm calling done for now.  Not everything I tried out panned out fully, but it is also the very first base I've actually done up before painting, and I wanted to try several things.  General idea of what I wanted to convey came through, so I'm beyond happy about that ^_^ 

• Like 13

Got a bit more work done on these guys....  First five poison wind globadiers are now freed of their slotta base... slots....  Were filed down and pinned, and then given a tiny bit of fine grit cork to try and cover up the gap between them and their bases, while also conveying the somewhat shambling ruins they're around...

20180408_114320.thumb.jpg.76f472ab715c4e782a3e6ce2f5eaaac8.jpg20180408_121547.thumb.jpg.83fbebf1969cd4501de0bedd568517b2.jpg

Next up, rituals involving purging within warpfire!  (aka soapy, sudsy bath and then primer)  Group shot of the warlord and said poison wind globadiers included because it seemed just right or such ^_^;;;

• Like 13

Update time...!  Apparently it's the Warlord that will be first, because I'm totally nuts.  Or maybe it's because he was closest one within reach, hard to tell.  I suspect the desire to see how his base turned out after priming is also in there too!

20180409_225634.thumb.jpg.b8bd83ac6aeab75a4b1dab621137e380.jpg20180409_225642.thumb.jpg.a73af9781a062dbe05c638c0423f0b74.jpg

^Initial primer accidentally wound up being the EXACT shade the plastic itself was (it was leftover primer I'd mixed up for Ebonwrath), and so once that had dried for ten minutes or so, I mixed up a second batch, this time a lighter colour using 4 drops of white primer, 2 drops of grey liner, and 1 drop of water.

....Wait a second, this can't be a WIP thread by WhiteWulfe, there's actual painting going on here, not just shenanigans with cork and using glue that takes forever to set!!!!  ::P: 

Not quite certain as to what his colours will be, but I'll definitely say this - I'm kind of proud of that rubble base, as it kind of now actually LOOKS like it's all supposed to play with the base, and just looks like rubble in general to me.

With regards to the warlord, I'm seriously contemplating trying out something that's very much so new to me, even though I'm barely able to handle the basics of layering....  That's right, because there's a torch right there on his standard, I'm half tempted to give OSL a try, but...  We shall see.  haven't decided if I'm going to go complete and total "book me a room" crazy yet with pushing skills I don't have (hey, I want to learn, why not have fun while I'm at it), but the temptation is still there.  The biggest question is does one go with a more traditional fire (orangey-red), more of a warpstone kind of OMG HELLFIRE (which would be more of a greenish shade, traditionally), or go with something more exotic, like mystical blue fire (which, as the name implies, would have more of a bluish-purple tinge to it), and how would each of them affect whatever colours I add onto for his armour....

As for his particular fur colour, haven't quite decided but I have this absolutely insane thought to go with an almost albino kind of fur, minus true albino eyes....  And then have a much darker armour, that's almost a deep crimson in colour from all the battles (and blood!) it's seen throughout it's owner's life.

• Like 15

Quick update on these guys...  Five poison wind globadiers are now washed, aaaand three are on one of my green lids of doom, aka makeshift painting handle thingies.

P1000887.thumb.JPG.3c465481a7f3004bfce28a2531d9c84c.JPGP1000888.thumb.JPG.812f760925e8c1f989f078e429b451e0.JPG

...Oh, and one's been primed too.  Next step is obvious some priming of the other two, and then paint!

• Like 12

This should be a really cool project to follow. I'll confess to not being up on the Warhammer Fluff and all that, but I love seeing armies come together and yes, it gives me incentive to work on my Warmachine army as well. Of course I also have my Bones figures, my Infinity figures, figures for my Pathfinder game . . . *sigh*.

More importantly, I'm really liking the direction you are going with this and I love those GSW rollers/stamps, they are definitely testing my Will saves. ::D:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gargs said:

This should be a really cool project to follow. I'll confess to not being up on the Warhammer Fluff and all that, but I love seeing armies come together and yes, it gives me incentive to work on my Warmachine army as well. Of course I also have my Bones figures, my Infinity figures, figures for my Pathfinder game . . . *sigh*.

More importantly, I'm really liking the direction you are going with this and I love those GSW rollers/stamps, they are definitely testing my Will saves. ::D:

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Looking good so far. Those rollers make for some nice bases!

Many thanks!  I blame @Glitterwolf for introducing me to the rollers (can't remember who introduced me to the stamps), and I'm quite happy with them!  Some you have to be a bit more diligent with (like the wooden one I used, of which the name escapes me atm) as depending on how you use it (and if you remember to put a bit of extra stuff in there for it to work with) the results can be affected.  With the rollers, the biggest trick I can say is constant, even pressure, which initially is harder to do than one might think.

With the poison wind globadiers, I'm definitely looking forward to how their bases turn out, because if they come out nice (and I'm already happy with them) I can't wait to see what the Rat Ogres wind up looking like with such bases! 

I won't lie, the desire to work on these guys has definitely overridden that of my Tau and Catachans (quite possibly because of how awesome I've always found them), but I also suspect that's because I'm looking at my various projects and realizing even if we get a bigger table I'll still have to try and keep it to 3-4 active projects at any given time ^_^

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Many thanks!  I blame @Glitterwolf for introducing me to the rollers (can't remember who introduced me to the stamps), and I'm quite happy with them!  Some you have to be a bit more diligent with (like the wooden one I used, of which the name escapes me atm) as depending on how you use it (and if you remember to put a bit of extra stuff in there for it to work with) the results can be affected.  With the rollers, the biggest trick I can say is constant, even pressure, which initially is harder to do than one might think.

That, and let your putty cure a bit, it will be less stivky and give a better result in one go!

I love this army!

Can't wait to see it painted.

Also your gnoll/minotaur beast army is amazing.

Love these projects!

• Like 2