Sign in to follow this  
dunker79

14267: General Matisse,Overlords Warlord (updated)

18 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Like this a LOT, the simple glint on all the metal surfaces is very effective.

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Stunning !

Thanks  for the kind words guys!

• Like 1

You are really good at highlight and shadow location placement! That's the toughest part of NMM to me right now. 

C&C.... he needs eyebrows :poke:

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

You are really good at highlight and shadow location placement! That's the toughest part of NMM to me right now. 

C&C.... he needs eyebrows :poke:

I actively find ways to NOT paint eyebrows hehehe.

51 minutes ago, dice4hire said:

I cannot recall what this reminds me of, but you definitely nailed it. Great!

Thanks!! I imagine him as a spoke person for a shampoo company in a fantasy realm.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, DankDungeonMaster said:

Formidable! Love the flowing cape, looks like silk or satin. How do you get that effect?

I used gory red (09278) as base and a mix of gory red and black from Vallejo model colour as shadow. Highlights were gory red with white (reaper HD 29842). at this stage, things would look very pink.  I then glaze the whole thing with very thin layers of gory red and fresh blood (09279) to tie everything together and restore the redness. 

26 minutes ago, VolksFest said:

Truly fascinating! NMM is perfect and the satin look of the cape is uncanny. Well done!

Thank you for such kind words.

Edited by dunker79
  • Like 1

Amazing work. I'm loving the blends for the red on the front; smooth and clean. For the back side, the reds could use some shading in those curves.

10 hours ago, Kuro Cleanbrush said:

Very nice!  Love all that great NMM!

Don't be afraid to take the NMM up to Pure White (or very close), though for that extra glinty-ness!

Thanks for the advice. FYI, it was your red NMM vampire video that set me on the path of NMM.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dunker79 said:

Thanks for the advice. FYI, it was your red NMM vampire video that set me on the path of NMM.

Thank you very, very much; I am truly honored and glad the video was inspirational!  ::): 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Silvervane
      Well I finished this guy over the weekend.  He's been a long time in the works.  Several short bursts with long breaks.  I finally decided that I just wanted to get him done.  So I told myself a lot while looking at it "good enough." 

• By Darcstaar
      This figure is a great load off my Shelf of Shame.
      I wanted to complete it for my friend's 40th birthday, as he was supposed to come back to town for a surprise party.  I never finished it, since he changed his plans and there was no party.  He and I go back to 7th grade, and have gamed together on-and-off for the better part of 25 years.  I've gone back to complete this figure after about a 3 year hiatus.  He is my first real attempt at an NMM weapon and armor.  The challenge with the sword was the spine of the sword is soft not crisp, so getting a straight line was tough.

I asked my friend what his favorite type of character was to play.  His answer: Sword and Board fighter.
      I wanted the figure to resemble my friend: Very pale Caucasian, very light blond short hair.  Also, I wanted our high school colors to figure into the paint scheme: Green and White.

I also like to find old gems from the Reaper store that need some love and new life breathed into them!  Ashlan definitely fits the bill.

So, I present Ashlan Fellthrush, Heroic Paladin.

I had dreams at one point of making the suitable looking parts of the sword and tabard-trim into green gems, but gave up on that to get him DONE!.

Part of the reason I gave up on this figure for so long was my failure to realize my ambitious goal to paint a freehand gold NMM device on the back to match the one sculpted on the front.  The back felt like it needed something.  I tried a white dragon for a while, like the shield, but didn't like it.  So I repainted the back and tried this gold device.  It came out "good enough" after about the third try, so I moved on.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Ashlan.  In know my friend will enjoy it.  He's triple-sealed for gaming goodness.
      Now, I just have to pack him up for a safe trip to Seattle.

Thanks for reading.
      C&C Welcome.
    • By Sophie was taken
      Thread title pretty much sums it up. This is Callus the Renegade from Black Orc’s Hundred Kingdoms, sculpted by Jason Wiebe:

There is is a lot going on here, from chain, scale, and plate to all the spangly bits and Things on Belts. Tried to add some variety of color where possible. Not sure what actual colors were worn by Roman soldiers, but red is popular among cosplayers according to Google. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t purple at least.

Turns out Dark Elf Skin is a pretty good approximation of actual gorilla flesh. It also seems that brown is not a popular color for actual gorilla fur, but whatever.

I was unsure just what that thing in his left hand is, so I imagined it as some sort of monkey-headed scepter, and painted it up in Dragon Copper and Antique Gold. Mostly as an excuse to try out some GW verdigris. I probably miffed the placement, but it’s a neat effect. Very much a “nasty old penny” look.

Did I mention this guy is big? Here he is alongside Miss Forscale the Strumpet:

Comments and critiques appreciated!
    • By 72moonglum
      Good morning,

so here's my last little painted piece of happiness, another Hackmaster figure that Ral Partha has gotten a hold of, a human thief.  I actually kind of have begun liking these figures quite a lot, as they feel like prototypes of their classes so often, kind of generic, but very nicely done in that old school feel.  I wanted dark colors for this one, but didn't want just black, so hopefully gave him a bit of variety with the colors.

• By Glitterwolf
      Another Snake Warrior for my Lost World.
      WIP Here:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69308-lost-world-project-glitterwolf-paints-coldblooded-creatures-and-conquistadores/&page=120

This is Reaper Warlord 14187 Ssathuss.
      A Nagendra Warrior.

• Who's Online   47 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)