Cyradis

DSM7474 Female Ranger

You are continuing to do a totally fantastic job on her!!!

My two-cents for the top of her leg would be to continue to chant the mantra "higher highlights; deeper shadows" or simply "moar contrast!!!" and vote for some increased highlights, but you utilize a softer color palette well, so only do so if you feel it would work with your style!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kuro Cleanbrush said:

You are continuing to do a totally fantastic job on her!!!

My two-cents for the top of her leg would be to continue to chant the mantra "higher highlights; deeper shadows" or simply "moar contrast!!!" and vote for some increased highlights, but you utilize a softer color palette well, so only do so if you feel it would work with your style!

I ended up putting another dash of white into my color blend for the highlights and I stippled a bit of that into the top. Not a ton, just a wee bit. I don't want the boot to appear shiny. My goal is to give the impression of soft leather, perhaps suede, instead of shiny leather. Only the raised leg really gets this, as the other parts are relatively shadowed by positioning. 

Also put the base coat down of gold NMM shadow on the trim. Tough part for me is going to be that I used the gold NMM base for the cloak - but different shadow hues. Need the cloak to be clothy and trim to be metally. Stopped there because it was midnight and I didn't want to goof up anything. 

• Like 5

Okay so I NMM'd the first part of boots trim. Next up is green (that's why part of the trim is empty)

20180410_214602.jpg

20180410_214607.jpg

20180410_214549.jpg

20180410_214552.jpg

• Like 17

And...  green trim. There are some diamond shapes on the boots so I tried to make them look like green stone cabachons. Not sure if I succeeded but they look cool. Now I give my eyes a break. That was more technically difficult than the feathers (feathers get ruffled - gives leeway!)

20180410_225107.jpg

20180410_225109.jpg

20180410_225053.jpg

20180410_225100.jpg

20180410_225110.jpg

20180410_225118.jpg

• Like 18

Once again I am quite impressed by your progress.

Great work. And I think the slightly intensified highlights do their job pretty well.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of glazing a tiny bit of blue or green onto the gold trim to help make it different than the cloak more. Not sure though. Will try to make up my mind by tonight - no painting until then anyway. 

• Like 4

Excellent work as always. Quick question if you don't mind, your blends on the skin tones are amazing, do you mind if I ask what your process was? Did you just use the thin layering method, Two Brush Blending, Wet Blending, etc.? Skin is one of those areas that I really struggle with, so always curious when I see an excellent job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gargs said:

Excellent work as always. Quick question if you don't mind, your blends on the skin tones are amazing, do you mind if I ask what your process was? Did you just use the thin layering method, Two Brush Blending, Wet Blending, etc.? Skin is one of those areas that I really struggle with, so always curious when I see an excellent job.

The face isn't 100% to my liking (failed to smooth blend the cheek) but I won't risk messing it up - my nitpicks are just that, nitpicks. There is technically an unsmooth part to the bottom of the leg.... but no one will look closely there, and now it is tough to reach. 

I spent a lot more time on this skin than I do with my basics (see Dena, the chainmail bikini lady). However, the colors used were mostly the same. Mostly I do thinned layering and glazing. I find two brush blending too clunky, and in Colorado, wet blending is either a distant dream or a happy accident when you manage to move the brush ridiculously fast in a painting frenzy (I think this has happened to me only 2-3 times, and then I rolled with it). 

I think my colors used were Golden Skin, Golden Highlight, Golden Shadow, Fair Highlight, Rosy Highlight, Rosy Shadow, Bronzed Shadow, S75 Bosh Chestnut, and S75 Arbuckles Brown (Arbuckles Brown is amazing. Somewhere between brown, magenta, and deep purple). I may have also used Red Brick (subdued red-purple-brown). 

My base coat was thinned more than usual for this one, to ensure pleasing layers. Probably 2-3 thinned layers. Every layer I put down was very thinned, generally glazed. After the base coat, I put down preliminary shadows (got the dark stuff in the deep creases, etc). Then it was a back and forth process of putting down thin layers of highlight, base, and shadow, to keep it smooth and to correct proportions. The range of color is pretty intense; effectively, I went from a dark brown to near white. The thinned paint can be a little tough; if you leave too much on the brush, you get water marks or kinda blobs at the edge of the brush stroke. Each brush load is thinned, but then heavily dabbed onto a paper towel. I then test the consistency on my fingernail. I use my nails, not my skin. Sometimes I use a piece of printer paper. I should be able to easily see the underlying color through the new application, and it shouldn't blob at all. Often I do tiny swipes (like stippling but with dashes instead of dots) for my brush strokes to apply a new color, then one large swipe glazing over them to blend it with the previous stuff. 

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

That cloak. Ye gods.

My wet palette is currently full, but I will do a "how to peacock feathers" post when I next have it free for the many colors I used in it. Clever Crow was right when he saw it; I could have done more contrast on the feathers themselves. Still, it looks pretty sweet if I do say so ^_^ The only worry I have is messing that part up due to it being time consuming, and I dunno how I'd fix it if I bungled it. At least it is in a region that is unlikely to get goofed. However, I think that the yellow of the cloak and the trim of the boots were more difficult. Feathers don't need smooth blending. Feathers don't have to be perfect. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I started on her fingerless gloves. I am glad I went with the green and gold trim on the boots; the gloves have a lot of trim work to play with and will do well with that style, I think. 

Also - her face. Botchy cheek.... sortof. 

20180411_230628.jpg

20180411_230636.jpg

• Like 9

One leather glove shaded (trim later). Putt... putt... she'll be done eventually. Really. 

15235110732778114985087008423907.jpg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Great progress, Cyr! Any idea how you want to paint the feathers in her hair?

Possibly like this: 

Image result for peacock feather sword

However, since she'll have semi-dark hair, I may change my mind. 

The alternative is like the feathers from the shoulder-ish area of the peacock, white with spots. The "fur" sash will be white with spots. 

Image result for flying peacock

• Like 4