Cyradis

DSM7474 Female Ranger

Wow, can't believe I hadn't comment on how cool this is coming along.  

Thanks for all the close ups.  I have a diorama planned with her dueling another DSM mini that I plan to start in the summer, but no plans on the copying the Peacock cloak.  The photos give me a head start on what I'm in for with her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvervane said:

Wow, can't believe I hadn't comment on how cool this is coming along.  

Thanks for all the close ups.  I have a diorama planned with her dueling another DSM mini that I plan to start in the summer, but no plans on the copying the Peacock cloak.  The photos give me a head start on what I'm in for with her.

The trim is much more detailed than I initially expected. The sash on her blouse also has a few ways to take it and how it connects to the rest of the attire. I chose to narrow the connecting point and not do a trim on her left side - some folks have (the wrinkles are a bit different compared to the rest). I had a horrible time with epoxy and my gel superglue on her, so I pinned the arm and used regular super glue. Warning: the bow gets in the way of the cloak. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I decided that the belt and leather part of the sash needed to be a different leather than the boots and gloves, so I used Redstone and some other colors. I wanted similar but not the same. The trim is also gold and green. Geez those have a lot of detail to mess with. 

I also put the dark parts of her hair in surrounding the face. I slightly booped the cheek, and had to touchup, but fortunately it was minor and the color is already sortof in the face. 

I also base coated the fur trim in Leather White. It will be white with black spots. 

20180415_200741.jpg

20180415_193600.jpg

20180415_200756.jpg

20180415_200747_020.jpg

20180415_193551.jpg

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 15

May not look tons different, but the white sash has been shaded. Now it needs the spot/stripes that are hiding as underfeathers on peacocks. 

20180415_204500.jpg

• Like 16

In the close up of the face it's the casting detail that distracts from the paint shading ... odd I never had that problem , o wait, I could never paint that level of detail so it's not so odd after all ... go figure... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

You know, all this time I thought she was wearing a white hood? All the beautiful work elsewhere really attracts the eye.

Heh, same here. This is just amazing, one of my favorite pieces I've seen on these forums, and it's not even finished!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boaz said:

In the close up of the face it's the casting detail that distracts from the paint shading ... odd I never had that problem , o wait, I could never paint that level of detail so it's not so odd after all ... go figure... 

Yes you can! I didn't get here overnight! I've been on and off painting for over a decade, and I am kinda a perfectionist so I seek out tutorials on methods a lot.... then I agonize over bits for hours. The real pros do this so much faster and without the need to study as much first - I'm still working there. Pick one part of each mini that you want to improve, and nit pick the heck out of that one part. By the end, you'll have that skill down and ready for the next ::D:

49 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

You know, all this time I thought she was wearing a white hood? All the beautiful work elsewhere really attracts the eye.

Hah! I've been working on her so long it is kinda weird putting in hair color. I hope it turns out well; hair is a weak point for me. **onward to NITPICKING**

37 minutes ago, Gargs said:

Heh, same here. This is just amazing, one of my favorite pieces I've seen on these forums, and it's not even finished!

Thanks, Gargs! I hope you'll like the end result even more ^_^

• Like 3

I added the spots to the fuzzy trim. The goal is to mimic the white and black feathers that peacocks have. The result isn't as crisp as the solid white, but I like the overall impression. 

20180416_215241.jpg

20180416_215251.jpg

• Like 14

And the bracer trim is getting some work now. NMM gold triad, but add whites to peak. I don't think it needs much extra on the low end in this case. The trim has its own trim. Ahh!! 

20180416_223636.jpg

20180416_223646.jpg

20180416_223632.jpg

• Like 15

I poked at the shading on that bracer more. The other will wait - time for whiskey now. That, and the bracers are seriously tougher than the cloak. The cloak was more ballsy. This is more face-pain. I need breaks for my eyes more regularly; doing the bracers is taking more up close focus near the lamp instead of being at a distance. 

20180416_233856.jpg

• Like 14

Awesome work!  You need to keep showing us table distance shots mixed in to remind us just how well blended everything is.  This is a great color scheme, and I appreciate that her outfit colors match what’s in the peacock feathers.

With regards to your eye strain, if you haven’t tried an Optivisor, I’d highly recommend it.  My eyes got worse from age 30 to 35 then 35 to 40: I could feel my eyeballs struggling to maintain close focus, in part due to stronger eyeglass prescriptions.  Using to Optivisor added a lot more stamina to my eyes for detail work.

• Like 2