Cyradis

DSM7474 Female Ranger

She looks a bit like Vex'ahlia from Critical Role. (I am Vex ->This is Vax)

I really love her and once again can only admire the way you paint. Really great work and a beautiful figure alltogether.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

She looks a bit like Vex'ahlia from Critical Role. (I am Vex ->This is Vax)

I really love her and once again can only admire the way you paint. Really great work and a beautiful figure alltogether.

Thanks! Those feathers took sooooo long. The yellow took almost as long, lol. Going for really smooth blends is tough! 

I think there are maybe.... 60 feathers on the cloak? Each has at minimum 5 colors, but most are probably more like 6-7. And the cloak was partially pre-shaded. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, chaosscorpion said:

Peacock feathers are amazing

Thanks! My worry is that I'll goof it up later. Eek! 

That cloak is very very beautiful.  I wonder if a bit of masking tape will help protect things?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Clearman said:

That cloak is very very beautiful.  I wonder if a bit of masking tape will help protect things?

Perhaps. Lucky for me, the cloak is only really at risk from attaching the quiver to her back, and the yellow is at risk from a tiny bit of the bow. How well does paint do against masking tape? Maybe just a tiny bit on the at-risk zones would be worth it. 

• Like 1

A layer of brush-on sealer makes it easier to clean up stray brush stokes.  (I have had some epic fumbles.). Not sure if you normally seal your painted pieces or not.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LittleBluberry said:

A layer of brush-on sealer makes it easier to clean up stray brush stokes.  (I have had some epic fumbles.). Not sure if you normally seal your painted pieces or not.  

Not going to be sealing this piece. For most of my stuff I do a bit of sealer, but it does change the surface reflectivity a bit. I don't want to hazard that on here. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

How well does paint do against masking tape?

It's really dependent on the strength of the adhesive on the tape.  Generally, the regular tan masking tape, or blue/purple/green painters tape work well, but dabbing the tape to your pants a couple times will reduce the adhesive a little.  You want the tape to stick just enough to stay, and obviously not pull up anything underneath. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Not going to be sealing this piece. For most of my stuff I do a bit of sealer, but it does change the surface reflectivity a bit. I don't want to hazard that on here. 

Yeah, I had a feeling that might be an issue.  I probably wouldn't risk masking tape without testing it first on something else.  If you got this far on something so intricate I don't think you've got any worries about managing the rest of it.  ^_^ 

• Like 2

Probably not. Part of slowing down is that my work often isn't as good while stressed, and while sick I was having sudden sneezes and coughs and twitches. Gotta be all healthy and sane for her!

• Like 2

That cloak is incredible, and her face is wonderful!!!  Her eyes are also fantastic and quite impressive (I know from experience just how small they really are!).

Also, what PhD program are you applying for?  I'm pretty fresh out of grad school myself (got my Master's two years ago in Materials Engineering and Science), and can commiserate with the battles of the academic world!

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now