Sign in to follow this  
dunker79

Bjorn, Dwarven Warrior

21 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Great take on this figure!

The phone/backdrop is doing the job nicely.

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

Glad you guys like it, thanks!!

Excellent! 

Your NMM is great, and I like your choice of teal for the cloth and leather bits, to complement his red-orange hair.
If you are looking for a next step (or two) to take, I suggest...

1) higher highlights on the leather and skin (and even a little glint of light in his eyes).  Leather and skin naturally have a smooth/oily surface that reflects light, at least when they are clean.  When I do NMM on figures, I have to step up the highlights on the other materials (leather, skin, hair, smooth stone, etc.) or they sometimes look dull by comparison.

2) subtle reflections of the surrounding colors in the NMM, such as the underside of the knee-plates or shield.  I add these after I've put the figure on its base, added grass or other scenery.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Derek

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dks said:

Excellent! 

Your NMM is great, and I like your choice of teal for the cloth and leather bits, to complement his red-orange hair.
If you are looking for a next step (or two) to take, I suggest...

1) higher highlights on the leather and skin (and even a little glint of light in his eyes).  Leather and skin naturally have a smooth/oily surface that reflects light, at least when they are clean.  When I do NMM on figures, I have to step up the highlights on the other materials (leather, skin, hair, smooth stone, etc.) or they sometimes look dull by comparison.

2) subtle reflections of the surrounding colors in the NMM, such as the underside of the knee-plates or shield.  I add these after I've put the figure on its base, added grass or other scenery.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Derek

Oh my goodness, thank your so much Derek for taking the time to provide feedback on my work! Will certainly try my best to incorporate your advice in my next project. Thank you again most appreciated !

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar
      I don't get to be a player as much as a DM.
      So, when I do get to play, I want to spend a little extra effort on my figure for my own PC.
      This is the situation for this Goldar.

He is a half-orc fire specialized sorcerer, so he get's to use a Greataxe and plays a little like a one-trick pony with his fire spells.

I envisioned him as very gray skinned.

I tried to accomplish a green shadow blending up to gray highlights.  I mixed MSP Stone Gray and Highland Moss, then highlighting with Weathered Stone.
      I think it just ended up as a pale green, but it is still interesting.  There were glazes of GW green and red washes in the shadows.  I think it would make a good zombie or ghoul flesh recipe.  I tried to give a little life to his face with a few layers of thinned flesh glaze on the nose and cheeks, but it doesn't really show in the photos.  His face was a tad miscast, with a flat nose and odd right cheek.

The backstory of the character describes ritual branding and tattoos all over his body.  I thought that would end up taking the figure toward a Goliath, so I avoided it.  Instead, I put a little flame on his shoulder pad.  I wanted to read as raised embossed metal, but I think it just looks like a decal.

As I thought of ways to add detail, I decided to put runes on his skirt.  My go-to for runes are the variant of FUTHARK used in the Ultima games.
      In this case, Vas Flam, which was the recipe for the fireball spell!  I liked it enough, I put it on the axe.  I can imagine a smart sorcerer would figure out a way to turn his skirt into a scroll.  I'll see if my DM will let me do it ;)

I had to re-do the armored legs and axe nmm a few times.  The first time I tried the Twilight Blue triad, and didn't like it.  Then I tried the Stone Gray triad, and worried it was too close to his skin.  So I ended up mixing White and Black into Cloudy Gray.  It ended up a little rushed.  The scratches are all just painted on, a decision I made at the last minute (I tend to hate risking botching up a paint job that I'm happy with, and getting the metals to that point were almost enough deterrent to do it).

Without further ado, here is my take on Goldar.
      C&C Welcomed.

• By Darcstaar
      This figure is a great load off my Shelf of Shame.
      I wanted to complete it for my friend's 40th birthday, as he was supposed to come back to town for a surprise party.  I never finished it, since he changed his plans and there was no party.  He and I go back to 7th grade, and have gamed together on-and-off for the better part of 25 years.  I've gone back to complete this figure after about a 3 year hiatus.  He is my first real attempt at an NMM weapon and armor.  The challenge with the sword was the spine of the sword is soft not crisp, so getting a straight line was tough.

I asked my friend what his favorite type of character was to play.  His answer: Sword and Board fighter.
      I wanted the figure to resemble my friend: Very pale Caucasian, very light blond short hair.  Also, I wanted our high school colors to figure into the paint scheme: Green and White.

I also like to find old gems from the Reaper store that need some love and new life breathed into them!  Ashlan definitely fits the bill.

So, I present Ashlan Fellthrush, Heroic Paladin.

I had dreams at one point of making the suitable looking parts of the sword and tabard-trim into green gems, but gave up on that to get him DONE!.

Part of the reason I gave up on this figure for so long was my failure to realize my ambitious goal to paint a freehand gold NMM device on the back to match the one sculpted on the front.  The back felt like it needed something.  I tried a white dragon for a while, like the shield, but didn't like it.  So I repainted the back and tried this gold device.  It came out "good enough" after about the third try, so I moved on.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Ashlan.  In know my friend will enjoy it.  He's triple-sealed for gaming goodness.
      Now, I just have to pack him up for a safe trip to Seattle.

Thanks for reading.
      C&C Welcome.
    • By Vacaroja
      Another attempt at NMM.  And funny enough, on another dwarf.  And my first shiny gems.  NMM is a touch inconsistent this time.  I ended up rushing it a bit after the hubby said he wants to use it for a D&D character he started playing.  But I have two of these fellas, so I get to work on it more on the other one and as much as red IS the color of dwarven beards, I'll probably play around with a little salt and pepper on the next one.

• By GodOfCheese
      I speed-painted this guy for an upcoming encounter because I was surprised not to have a dwarf miniature with a hammer. I really like how he came out, and how the encounter went down. So yay!

• Who's Online   47 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)