Sign in to follow this  
Mushu_Green

Death House in 3D Terraclips !

28 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Not presently.  Since they're not easy to get I didn't want to tease people.  But next time I build something neat I'll take some pics.

That'd be nice :)

I checked in with our Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator OneBoot, and she said we could make a  dedicated Terraclips build thread.  I think that would be the thing to do, so we can share our builds and any of the the other Terraclippers here can find it and share theirs.  There are a few of us on here.  So I guess whichever of us is the next to build something to show off can make that thread. 

I've built some neat things I haven't shared on account of not wanting to tease with my hoard, but now that the cat has escaped the bag then we can have some funtimes! 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I checked in with our Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator OneBoot, and she said we could make a  dedicated Terraclips build thread.  I think that would be the thing to do, so we can share our builds and any of the the other Terraclippers here can find it and share theirs.  There are a few of us on here.  So I guess whichever of us is the next to build something to show off can make that thread. 

I've built some neat things I haven't shared on account of not wanting to tease with my hoard, but now that the cat has escaped the bag then we can have some funtimes! 

Good !

I hope i'll see someone else post buildings of malifaux on my local geek sell/exchange Facebook group... i want more roofs !

• Like 1

I ran this one at ReaperCon a couple years ago. Fun adventure. Map was a bit constrained when it came to minis & such but I guess that's what you get for a house as a dungeon. Nice set up.

• Like 3

Wowzers!  I love seeing what's possible with a proper collection of those things.  I regret that Terraclips showed up during a time when I was thoroughly in the middle of a sci-fi kick, and didn't see much use for cardboard dungeons and such.  By the time my group rolled around to fantasy again, those things had already vanished.  I've got a collection of the plastic clips (which I picked up on their own merits initially), but the only Terraclips set I was able to snag was the "Sewers" set a while back (since it was all that was LEFT).

I've tried my hand at making some custom tiles with some Photoshoppery and mat board and hobby-knife-cutting, but it's pretty tedious to cut those notches for the clips.  (More often I've found myself using the plastic clips with more conventional floor tiles just to string them together on a table, and to aid whenever I might have to "scroll" the layout to one side of the table or another.)

One thing I discovered right away was that Terraclips are NOT ideal for cobbling something together on the fly, and perhaps that's why they didn't really catch on.  There's too much digging around to find the right piece, and there just aren't enough of the pieces I want to do what I want for any given project.  (Most of my homemade tiles have been additional large floor tiles.)  Really, the only practical way to use them is to have a crafting project before the game, and have the level(s) assembled and off to one side of the table, ready to be plopped down in place when needed (or else leave it in place on the table and cover it with some scrap fabric for a "fog of war" and then reveal as appropriate).  I don't see them as really working for *permanent* structures, since the end result really looks very much like the product of a construction set, what with all those tabs.

However, I've been thinking that those tabs might look more at home for a sci-fi type setting.  (It's actually why I initially got them, for a half-baked sci-fi project idea ... but I ended up using a bunch of Hirst Arts Castlemolds set pieces instead at the time.) 

I've got lots of mat board, plastic sheets, and also some vacu-formed texture sheets (from "Sci-Fi Supply") that are meant to represent instant "greebles" such as for the interior of a Space-Hulk or Aliens-style ship corridor system.  I've pondered making some wall tiles out of those (and floor tiles out of sections of mat board with "grill" from the screen saved from a broken old screen door, plus whatever greebles I can cobble together), and using them for sci-fi layouts.  The mix of T, corner, and straight connectors is what makes the Terraclips themselves particularly useful to me.  (And the "T" pieces can also double as quickie bases for "stand-ups.")

... Anyway, if there's a dedicated build thread, can someone post the link?  My search-fu is weak, it seems.  I've got a few photos of hybrid projects I've done with a mix of the Sewer pack, and home-made tiles.

Edited by Jordan Peacock
  • Like 3

On 4-4-2018 at 3:36 AM, Jordan Peacock said:

Wowzers!  I love seeing what's possible with a proper collection of those things.  I regret that Terraclips showed up during a time when I was thoroughly in the middle of a sci-fi kick, and didn't see much use for cardboard dungeons and such.  By the time my group rolled around to fantasy again, those things had already vanished.  I've got a collection of the plastic clips (which I picked up on their own merits initially), but the only Terraclips set I was able to snag was the "Sewers" set a while back (since it was all that was LEFT).

I've tried my hand at making some custom tiles with some Photoshoppery and mat board and hobby-knife-cutting, but it's pretty tedious to cut those notches for the clips.  (More often I've found myself using the plastic clips with more conventional floor tiles just to string them together on a table, and to aid whenever I might have to "scroll" the layout to one side of the table or another.)

One thing I discovered right away was that Terraclips are NOT ideal for cobbling something together on the fly, and perhaps that's why they didn't really catch on.  There's too much digging around to find the right piece, and there just aren't enough of the pieces I want to do what I want for any given project.  (Most of my homemade tiles have been additional large floor tiles.)  Really, the only practical way to use them is to have a crafting project before the game, and have the level(s) assembled and off to one side of the table, ready to be plopped down in place when needed (or else leave it in place on the table and cover it with some scrap fabric for a "fog of war" and then reveal as appropriate).  I don't see them as really working for *permanent* structures, since the end result really looks very much like the product of a construction set, what with all those tabs.

However, I've been thinking that those tabs might look more at home for a sci-fi type setting.  (It's actually why I initially got them, for a half-baked sci-fi project idea ... but I ended up using a bunch of Hirst Arts Castlemolds set pieces instead at the time.) 

I've got lots of mat board, plastic sheets, and also some vacu-formed texture sheets (from "Sci-Fi Supply") that are meant to represent instant "greebles" such as for the interior of a Space-Hulk or Aliens-style ship corridor system.  I've pondered making some wall tiles out of those (and floor tiles out of sections of mat board with "grill" from the screen saved from a broken old screen door, plus whatever greebles I can cobble together), and using them for sci-fi layouts.  The mix of T, corner, and straight connectors is what makes the Terraclips themselves particularly useful to me.  (And the "T" pieces can also double as quickie bases for "stand-ups.")

... Anyway, if there's a dedicated build thread, can someone post the link?  My search-fu is weak, it seems.  I've got a few photos of hybrid projects I've done with a mix of the Sewer pack, and home-made tiles.

You're in it!

Here you can show terrain, conversions, dioramas and everything.

WIP thread is also possible ( Work in Progress).

It isn't that strict.

Enjoy and show us the buidling process!

Edited by Glitterwolf

On 3/26/2018 at 9:04 AM, Mushu_Green said:

Give me your thoughts :)

You have an incredible amount of patience and dedication!  That looks great.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:28 AM, Mad Jack said:

"Y'know, back in my day we used to draw maps in the dirt with a stick and use rocks as people..."

You had rocks?  You were lucky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2