Rainbow Sculptor

Barbarian Sculpt

Starting on a new sculpt, this time a rompy stompy barbarian. Going to be a standard 32mm scale but I'm playing with exaggerating the figure in a very heroic/comic book type fashion. To get this thread started here are my initial sketches and the body type I settled on. So far I've gotten the wire frame done and covered in GS with a bit of apoxie in there too. Starting on developing shapes.

Now to pick my clay color....

15220888945765128756403947147920.jpg

15220891052336628081744773747961.jpg

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Ooh. and started on @ub3r_n3rd's birthday, none-the-less.

Are those wolverine style claws on his hand?

Maybe?! Hahaha no, I don't know exactly yet. I want a fist weapon of some kind with angles that lead back into the rest of the figure so... Maybe.

Today's progress: just roughing in some basic forms for the anatomy at this point. Picked a gold/warm yellow Fimo. I always get excited about this stage and add too much too far and have to keep reminding myself to work in thinner layers. Lots yet to be done!

15220943056776033772312113189183.jpg

• Like 7

Looking good so far.  The color you chose make it look like he's wearing a skin tight, yellow jump suit:

TheRunningMan_8926700_96845._V347746771_

Ben Richards for the WIN!!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Continuing to build up forms. That upper extended arm is still super rough and may end up changing drastically. 

Pro tip: leaving your Fimo in a closed container with a damp paper towel is helpful in keeping it workable. Picking your clay up with wet hands makes your clay the consistency of bubble gum and is completely unusable haha

IMG_20180329_122139.jpg

• Like 7

A little more progress. I haven't baked anything yet which is really not a good plan. I've realized that i might have made my wire frame incorrectly and may have to do some major overhauls. Current goal is to get the head/torso/arms to a bake-able state, strip the legs and try to correct the imbalance. 

Pro Tip: don't leave your unbaked sculpt out on your desk for several days. (Like I did) Keep it in a small Tupperware container with a damp paper towel to keep it workable. I was actually able to save this one but other sculpts, where I've used older clay, were not so lucky.

IMG_20180405_175504.jpg

• Like 9

Chopped off the clay on the legs because there was a length issue that I'll need to fix. Did a bunch more refining and defining. Trying to reach a good bake point. I think I like the shapes currently and I'll just need a few hours of texture refining before I can bake it.

IMG_20180418_171337.jpg

• Like 7

Reached another bake point. The face is almost done (just need eyes) and I resculpted the arms. I'm pretty happy with him so far. Lots of work left to do though.

IMG_20180430_172427.jpg

• Like 10