TGP

Getting to Know You, April 2018

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question, April 10: How many of the people you know, got flu this year?

Including myself, (and boy was that terrible), 7. Basically, my mother and father came up to Tennessee to visit my sister and I and the whole family caught the flu. Over Christmas, so I had the worse New Years Eve ever.

Edited to add:

In October, I thought I had the flu and was sick for two days, but then I got the actual flu and now I know better. I was out of the office for almost two weeks and on NYE, I almost made my friend come get me to take me to the ER, I felt that poorly. I was under 6 blankets, with the heat on high, and still shaking the bed with shivers. Ugh.

Edited by TheMandolin
  • Sad 2

So far, zero. Most of my friends are either very healthy or get the shot.  DH and I caught it in 2016, prior to that the last time I had the flu was around 1999.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I am not at all sure. Not many.

I have not personally had it in the past year, although I did have a rather unpleasant run-in with norovirus in January.

N.B: For various reasons I won't go into here, I usually get a culture and positive diagnosis when I am that sick, so I can say with reasonable certainty when I have, or have not, had an actual influenza infection.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

One I think, and not even sure she had the flu, just that she was pretty sick for much of the early part of the year. In our family flu shots are a must. Mrs. Gargs works in a hospital and I work in a courthouse and we both have compromised immune systems. My Father In Law also has a very compromised immune system so really needs to be careful as well. 

That said, we did have a number of bad colds, but nothing that rose to the level of the flu thankfully. Its possible the niece and nephew had minor cases of the flu, but I think they were more colds than anything. Nothing that kept them out of action for long.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Me. My partner gave it to me. I gave it to people at work. It circulated. It was the second round of flu at work this season, I stayed out of the first round entirely. I got the flu shot so I was only dead for 4 days. Lost ten pounds tho.

So... lots of people!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Whatever I had was probably the flu, or something like it. Sir Cyr got it before me, and it knocked him out for a week (he usually shrugs off illness). While he had residual blahs the following week, I got miserably sick. Gargling razor blades, couldn't sleep due to throat pain, headache, shniffles, so much mouth breathing in dry air that I split my lip... followed by a few weeks of residual occasional cough. 

I had 2 days of being fully "better" when the sinus infection hit, which the doctor said was viral. That lasted about a week and a half. I'm effectively better now. 

I don't think many people in the geology department got sick, fortunately. I stayed away while I was ill and someone took my tutoring shifts during that time. 

• Like 3

FLU:

Surprisingly not many. I know my my mom & dad got it bad earlier this year but they made it through it (oddly they both got flu shots...whoops!). No one in my immediate family got it & none of us got the shots ::): . Colds yes, but nothing worse then that. Helps we had a very mild winter this time around. If anyone at my workplace got it I have no idea since people are always calling in "sick" anyways. Thou the big boss did get sick, I'm not exactly sure if it was the flu. I recall hearing her retching in her office one morning. She was a trooper & stayed so I doubt it was the flu.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TGP said:

As far as I know.. no one. 'Course, I could easily be wrong there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TGP said:

The flu itself? Don't know.

But plenty of people got a cold. And I've had a runny nose for the past three days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Whatever I had was probably the flu, or something like it. Sir Cyr got it before me, and it knocked him out for a week (he usually shrugs off illness). While he had residual blahs the following week, I got miserably sick. Gargling razor blades, couldn't sleep due to throat pain, headache, shniffles, so much mouth breathing in dry air that I split my lip... followed by a few weeks of residual occasional cough. 

I had 2 days of being fully "better" when the sinus infection hit, which the doctor said was viral. That lasted about a week and a half. I'm effectively better now. 

I don't think many people in the geology department got sick, fortunately. I stayed away while I was ill and someone took my tutoring shifts during that time. 

I had something much like that (and am still suffering into week four of on-again/off-again cough and sinus issues), but I don't think the onset was nearly as bad for me.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TGP said:

The plague hit hard near Nessus.  I'm up to something like 50 some odd people if you include acquaintances.  If you only include inner circle and trusted lieutenants, 8.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I had something much like that (and am still suffering into week four of on-again/off-again cough and sinus issues), but I don't think the onset was nearly as bad for me.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Down to a sudafed or two a day, if that! I probably should do the sinus rinse again just for an extra clearing.... but ugh do I hate it so much. Throat is still kinda easily irritated, but not like it was before. 

• Like 3

Around here it seems most people are just getting colds. I don't think I know anyone directly who has come down with the flu. 

• Like 2