TGP

Getting to Know You, April 2018

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question, April 12: Do you enjoy olde maps; do you enjoy drawing your own maps?

I do.  I'm not as cartographically inclined as my sons, though.  They've mastered the software necessary to do maps in a variety of styles, and hang out on an alternate history forum where the maps are handy illustrations. He's also done things like the map for our 18th century image-nations setting:

NQSYWmap.thumb.png.75931ec29a3052c79c177e1d26c4539f.png

I'm working on a campaign map done in archaic style for my pseudo-Byzantine miniatures setting, using the advice in Jared Blando's book on drawing fantasy maps.

A test map I did this way last year; all pen and ink and cheap watercolors:

5acf4765a2deb_Scan3.thumb.jpeg.a3fe24f76cade8b3844d15a5e205e6d5.jpeg

I'm using this one as the setting of a solo miniatures campaign using my 1/72 scale plastic collection. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Yes.

When I was nine I copied an entire foldout from Gibbon’s Decline and Fall as a giant poster for my room. I did not  even know what the Roman Empire in the Time of the Antonines was, but I loved the map.

I sometimes think I learned the principles of geology just so I could make plausible fantasy maps.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I don't really have a feeling one way or the other with regard to old maps. As for drawing my own, especially for RPG campaigns and the like, I'd really like to do it more often; however, my drawing ability is . . . not present. :p That said, I do use assorted computer programs to come up with maps but generally it will be a take on a randomly created one.

• Like 2

Not as much as my wife.  She was in Geographic Information Services before she retired.  I do like to draw maps, but have not done so lately.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TGP said:

LOVE maps, which may be why I have never drawn one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, TGP said:

They're cool, but I wouldn't say I enjoy them to the point of going out and actually purchasing a reproduction of one.

Not particularly.  I never really enjoyed making them by hand for games, and when I had to do it for work I had software but it was for work.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TGP said:

I do like them.  I have drawn my own maps, but I don't derive any particular enjoyment out of doing so.  Awesome Wife however loves old maps and used to make maps as a career back in ye olden days (i.e. before I met her).  Her first degree is in cartography, and she worked on some of the first electronic charts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Yes.

When I was nine I copied an entire foldout from Gibbon’s Decline and Fall as a giant poster for my room. I did not  even know what the Roman Empire in the Time of the Antonines was, but I loved the map.

I sometimes think I learned the principles of geology just so I could make plausible fantasy maps.

**HUG GLOMPS PINGO** 

• Haha 7

15 hours ago, TGP said:

I enjoy both very much, but I am a bit sad that there is a whole industry devoted to dismantling historic atlases, and parting them out as posters.

I like olde books too. :down:

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

16 hours ago, TGP said:

I do enjoy olde maps. I do not enjoy drawing my own. I can't draw to save my life.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TGP said:

I do!

My whole family grew up with an old map of the Eastern U.S./Canada from the 1600's or 1700's (can't recall the date) in the dining room wall, complete with a golden wooden frame. You could see where the coast line was decently represented, but the further inland you'd get, or the higher up north, the more vague the map became. Hand drawn, coloured, with sea dragons/monsters here and there. Now that my mother is moving away, she's parting with it, and we agreed my brother would get it (he has the house for it). We never had it appraised, but I recall two instances where my parents claimed the map was valuable, and another where the frame was worth more than the map itself.

Regardless, we always loved that map, and it was always a quick reference to how old maps should look like. I haven't drawn a map in 15-20 years, but I did enjoy the experience, especially with the advent of mapping software that could create realistic looking borders/coastlines with fractals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, TGP said:

I have always held a deep and abiding cartophilia.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 6:10 AM, TGP said:

Question, April 11th: Do you like having shakers in your paint bottles?

I don't have any in my paint bottles, sadly.  I would probably prefer that.

21 hours ago, TGP said:

Yes to both.  I love maps of all kinds. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TGP said:

I love maps.  I collect them, although only really in passing.

I'm not fond of drawing maps, mostly because of limited time, media, and skill.  I'm sure any or all of these could be fixed with time.  However, I like world building so I should probably learn to draw maps better (or buy software and learn to use that).

• Like 1