Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hi all! Most of the Randomness thread folks noticed that this chatterbox wasn't around much last year. 2018 was spent working on my brain. I think I made a lot of progress so hopefully that means I get to spend more of 2019 working on my art!
My last post from my previous sculpting thread:
This year I'll also be working on practicing those skintones and a destress thread for Ma'al.
As always, I appreciate love and critiques, and I hope that by showing a little bit of the time and effort it takes it pursue sculpting, others would be excited about trying it without getting discouraged by the climb up!
So let's get started!
Table of Contents:
- A Mighty and Powerful Bard (coming up tomorrow!)
International Mini Painting Month - Day 7
How Morihalda Achieved Maximum Distraction from 14 Other WIP Threads: A Story.
6 November. My husband and I went on a date to the museum. We always have so much fun there and learn so many new things! I saw an absolutely gorgeous snake and thought, "Wow, that would be an excellent dragon pattern. OH WOW Ma'al could be five different reptile patterns!!" I'd been wanting to do a skeletal or blacklight theme for him for forever, but I decided those would be better suited on a smaller dragon.
I spent some time that night researching snakes, lizards (and the occasional amphibian), and habitats before settling on some patterns. I spent a few more hours cleaning up mold lines and convincing myself that I don't need to resculpt these perfect heads!
Red - Fire Skink
Black - Lace Monitor
Green - Green Iguana
Blue - Blue Tree Monitor
White - Blue tongue Skink
Body - Fire Skink
This Boelen's Python didn't make the cut since I settled on lizards, but look at that good son! He's going to be my black dragon one day.
The red fire skink will be inspiration for both the red head and body. It has so many amazing colors that will help bring all the faces together. I'm thinking the wings will be muted on the underside to match the black and white heads and more fire skink on the top. This means the black and white heads need to be the middle level heads - there's a beautiful curve from them leading to each wing.
My tentative color blocking. Good enough for an art gallery, yeah? ;)
7 November. I spent over three hours this afternoon pinning, gluing, and green stuffing specific sections. The wing gaps and one of the legs are pretty rough, but the head scales perfectly cover the neck scales! Almost like it was planned.
8 November. I am still prepping. There is still barely enough done to warrant a forum post. All I have to show you are stabby holes in my hands (yes I will be using a holder/lazy Susan when painting, but I need all the angles while sculpting). Either I got one that was a little uneven or I'm just way more picky than some folks, but I have had a ton of gap filling to do for the legs.
How did some of you do this in 7 days?! Someone send me rations and supplies to survive!
Whoo! I primed these all last month after ReaperCon. And then they just sat there while I finished other stuff. But now my desk is clear and I'm ready for more art!
I am solidly in the "paint a solid color on the mini with a little shadow and highlight because I wanna play or sculpt" category. I also feel like I could have given my most recent sculpt a lot more love simply by not just painting her all the same shade of brown, haha!
So I've gathered up my paint, a handful of bones minis, my notes from Rhonda, Derek, and Erin, and now it's time to learn how to paint skin! I'm really excited to try out different expressions, skintones, and lighting. I went ahead and primed them so if we need them for any games, they won't have blinding white clothes on. I'm not certain on all the names, but all except maybe 1 or 2 of these were from my Bones III Kickstarter order.
I don't want to get pinged for nudity, so I gave this dryad a cute little Space Age dress in case she accidentally gets in the frame while I'm working on other pieces.
I'm pretty pleased with it. ;)
By Chris Palmer
I finished my Damaris Walmund, Duskwarden, yesterday. I painted her to look Elf-like, since she will be joining my Ghost Archipelago all-Elf crew in the role of a Hunter. I'm really pleased with this one; it's about as good as I can manage.
The jacket is Folk Art Color Shift paint, which turned out pretty neat as a pearly metallic, but I don't see much color shifting in it. I tried for a strawberry blond on the hair, but it ended up going more pinkish; not that that's a bad thing.
Her face was a challenge, particularly the way the vest collar partially obscures part of the mouth and the hair partially overhangs the eyes. For some reason painting parts of things is harder than painting the whole... And I noticed in the photos that here's a little bleb of dark paint over her left eye. Oh, well, consider it a birthmark, as I am not going back in and repairing it at this point and risk messing up the whole thing!
On the base, I attempted to blend her integral cobbled base into a grassy surrounding by adding some loose cobbles around it, cut from a bit of Bones sprue, as if it was part of some ruined floor for path and slowly breaking apart.
Who's Online 29 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)